Children

Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:28 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11313 wrote:
I'm not wrong at all, I have been saying that Christians are required to take the Bible literally, where have I even implied that the Bible shouldn't be taken literally?

No need to explain = "I can't explain". You don't even know how to practice your own faith! LaughingLaughing

9-0 I think.
Sure, what ever you say. Being an atheist i would assume as a standard belief you would not take our bible literally. Or any religous material for that matter.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:29 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11314 wrote:
Doesn't Jesus claim to speak for "God"? Isn't the New Testament Jesus' teaching? I thought the Ten Commandments were hand written by "God"?

So the Bible isn't "God's" or Jesus' teaching after all, so why do you read it? What do you get from it?
I don't know, you tell me?
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:32 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11318 wrote:
Yes, you seem to be kidding yourself.

I never stated that Christianity required perfection, I asked what was required to be Christian, you avoided answering, others have now stated that all that is required is to ask "God" to guide you. Did you know this?

I am now happy in the knowledge that The Bible is just a piece of writing with no real relevance to Christianity, just a bit of light reading soley for entertainment purposes. You can do whatever you want and still be Christian, so bollocks to morality.
Yeah, so it was 9-0 and yet i still won the war, LOL.
rhopper3

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:36 pm
@Professor Chaos,
No one will ever win that argument unless one of you convertd....There is no point in arguuing with ideologue
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:42 pm
@Professor Chaos,
I don't think it's possible to convert to atheism.
Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:28 am
@markx15,
markx15;11320 wrote:
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you had read the Bible. I am saying that the Bible is how you become Christian, it tells you what the religion consist of. Guidence, that comes from God. That is a non-believers view on the Bible, you can make your own, care to share?
So what does the religion consist of? There are no rules involved only guidelines so why the huge amount of pages? They could tell you that in no time.

markx15 wrote:

He'll come, but will you want to repent?

Given the choices why wouldn't I? I would have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:31 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11331 wrote:
It takes St. Peter to say, come on in!
So entry to heaven all relies on St Peter's free will, not your own. What if he doesn't like the lok of you? How are you supposed to impress him? Doesn't the Bible teach you any of this, it's just all down to whether St. Peter is in a good mood or not?

Anyway, I thought "God" was the Judge. You're avoiding the question again.
Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:34 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11332 wrote:
Sure, what ever you say. Being an atheist i would assume as a standard belief you would not take our bible literally. Or any religous material for that matter.

I never said that I took the Bile literally you cretin! Do you even read my posts, or just read what you want to see?

I said, you must take the Bible literally if you wish to be a Christian. Where does any of that mention me? Numpty!
Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:37 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11334 wrote:
I don't know, you tell me?
Right, so you have no idea why you are a Christian or what it takes to practice that religion. You don't know who Jesus is and you don't know about the ten commandments.

I'll ask you again Drnaline, just what does it take to be a Christian, in your mind?
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:38 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11335 wrote:
Yeah, so it was 9-0 and yet i still won the war, LOL.

What war?

You are nuttier than squirrel ****. Should you even be allowed in the community?
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:42 am
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;11337 wrote:
No one will ever win that argument unless one of you convertd....There is no point in arguuing with ideologue

Well I have converted. Jesus died for my sins and I have free will. Following Drnalines lead I am now doing whatever I want, lying, cheating, whoring, stealing, killing, blaspheming, absolutely anything I want! And all in the knowledge that I am a good Christian! Praise be!

Providing I'm a Christian I see no reason that St Peter won't let me into God's magical kingdom, there are no hard and fast rules, you just need to believe. Piece of piss! I believe all right, I believe I've just beaten the system! Very Happy
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:45 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11338 wrote:
I don't think

I know.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:40 am
@Drnaline,
While l hate to interrupt you while you are debating with yourself, morningstar,I just want you to understand that you are the one challenging God, thus it is you who has to take on the burden of proof.

In the meantime it is nice that you decided to read the bible as you would Harry Potter, how intriguing. As you have perused the thousands of years and are familiar with everything, why is it you are still coming up with statements like their is no room for free will. The bible is full of free will.

Wow, the common thread and you miss it!!!!

Here is another funny statement,

Quote:
Doesn't Jesus claim to speak for "God"? Isn't the New Testament Jesus' teaching? I thought the Ten Commandments were hand written by "God"?

So the Bible isn't "God's" or Jesus' teaching after all, so why do you read it? What do you get from it?

how can you conclude that it is not God and Jesus' teachings? I wonder if you have read it with the idea to question it, and found yourself confused.

What l get from the Bible, to answer your question, is inspiration and wisdom and guidence. The reason people go to Church, or God's House, is so they can learn about the teachings and apply it to everyday life. But church is about your relationship with God, a sanctuary that is their to help people with this relationship. The more l learn form the bible the more l understand life, and how to deal with the issues and conflicts that are a part of our individual journey.
markx15

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:42 am
@Professor Chaos,
Let me explain something to you. You seem to be under the impression that if you believed your views and your behaviour would be exactly like they are now, not at all. If you believe in Jesus then you want to follow in his footsteps, you would want to live your life helping others.

Quote:
So what does the religion consist of? There are no rules involved only guidelines so why the huge amount of pages? They could tell you that in no time.

The religion consists of the desire to change and to do good, not so you can get into heaven, but to become worthy of Gods notice.

Quote:
Given the choices why wouldn't I? I would have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

It's easy, but not simple, you need to change your heart, to never again stray from hid path, that is repenting. This is not a normal exchange, God asks for your whole life, not part.
Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:21 am
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;11365 wrote:
While l hate to interrupt you while you are debating with yourself, morningstar,I just want you to understand that you are the one challenging God, thus it is you who has to take on the burden of proof.
What am I challenging? He doesn't exist therefore there I can't challenge it. I am questioning the Christian faith, try to stay on topic.
Tulip wrote:

In the meantime it is nice that you decided to read the bible as you would Harry Potter, how intriguing. As you have perused the thousands of years and are familiar with everything, why is it you are still coming up with statements like their is no room for free will. The bible is full of free will.
But have we not just decided that the Bible isn't taken literally?

If you follow a faith blindly without question or thought how does free will come into it? Are you deciding to believe? What did you base this decision on? To have free will requires thought and decision making, you just stated that not believing in "God" requires proof but belief does not. If you did not require proof how did you gain your faith? Sounds like there was no decision making at all.
Tulip wrote:

Wow, the common thread and you miss it!!!!
What is?
Tulip wrote:

Here is another funny statement,

how can you conclude that it is not God and Jesus' teachings? I wonder if you have read it with the idea to question it, and found yourself confused.

Because my knowledge of Christianity leads me to believe that it is wrong for Christians to overrule "God's" commands. But I have since been told on this forum that Christians can do whatever they want, and the Bible is just a guideline not a message from "God" on what is neccessary to be a Christian.
Tulip wrote:

What l get from the Bible, to answer your question, is inspiration and wisdom and guidence. The reason people go to Church, or God's House, is so they can learn about the teachings and apply it to everyday life. But church is about your relationship with God, a sanctuary that is their to help people with this relationship. The more l learn form the bible the more l understand life, and how to deal with the issues and conflicts that are a part of our individual journey.
I am still confused. What is there to learn? The Bible is fairly pointless if you just choose the bit's you like and ignore the rest. You can gain inspiration, wisdom and guidance from any article on sociology, psychology or philosophy what makes The Bible any better than any other source? Considering how obsecure, out dated and cryptic it is I'd think it was a rather poor source.

What teachings do you apply, and why? How are these teachings any better than those from the Koran, for example?

From what I've read on here most recently I can't see a problem with peoples relationships with "God". It's all one sided. "God" allows you to do whatever you want and asks for nothing in return for access to eternal paradise. All anyone needs do is just ask and "God" will deliver! Quite remarkable really.
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:31 am
@markx15,
markx15;11366 wrote:
Let me explain something to you. You seem to be under the impression that if you believed your views and your behaviour would be exactly like they are now, not at all. If you believe in Jesus then you want to follow in his footsteps, you would want to live your life helping others.
Why would you? Can't you believe and still have free will? If once I start believing I would immediately want to live my life helping others then I have lost free will. That would be an "unknown" force influencing my decisions, or i would revoke my free will and do something I didn't really want to. As it happens I do believe in Jesus, but I don't feel the need to have to help people, why should I?

markx15 wrote:

The religion consists of the desire to change and to do good, not so you can get into heaven, but to become worthy of Gods notice.
So there are specific ways of getting in "God's" good books? Drnaline said you could do what you want, no need to believe the Bible, you can create your own morality, and he had no idea what it took to please "God". And he said the decision to gain entry to heaven was St Peter's decision, not "God's" at all!

So what are these ways of getting "God" to notice you? Are they written in The Bible? If so how do you know which bits are right and which are wrong?

markx15 wrote:

It's easy, but not simple, you need to change your heart, to never again stray from hid path, that is repenting. This is not a normal exchange, God asks for your whole life, not part.
So born again Christians are fucked then? And if you aren't baptised and you sin before the chance to broker a deal with "God" you're also fucked? I might as well give up hope then. I never realised it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, that boat's sailed then I'm back to atheism in less than 12 hours. :frown:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:22 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11358 wrote:
So entry to heaven all relies on St Peter's free will, not your own. What if he doesn't like the lok of you? How are you supposed to impress him? Doesn't the Bible teach you any of this, it's just all down to whether St. Peter is in a good mood or not?

Anyway, I thought "God" was the Judge. You're avoiding the question again.
St. Peter works for God. He's just the keeper of the gate. I'm not supposed to impress him. The Bible doesn't teach me anything, it's a book. It's how i interpret it's words that teaches me. Same principal holds true for other types of books. I suggest you read the bible if you find it so interesting a topic, maybe even start your own thread?
markx15

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:24 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Quote:
Why would you? Can't you believe and still have free will? If once I start believing I would immediately want to live my life helping others then I have lost free will. That would be an "unknown" force influencing my decisions, or i would revoke my free will and do something I didn't really want to. As it happens I do believe in Jesus, but I don't feel the need to have to help people, why should I?

You really don't understand, not by your own falt, it is fairly hard to explain faith, but I'll try again. To believe isn't a normal decision, were you can weigh the pros and cons of the situation, it is something you give yourself to, something you want to be a part of. It becomes your free-will, because it becomes what you want. You don't live the life you love, you begin to love the life you live, get it?

Quote:
So there are specific ways of getting in "God's" good books?

You do what you think is right, what you think God might want. There are some guidelines in the Bible, but it is up to you to apply them.

Quote:
So what are these ways of getting "God" to notice you? Are they written in The Bible? If so how do you know which bits are right and which are wrong?

Personally I stick to the New Testament, Jesus makes alot of sense to me, but that is my choice. One thing though you have to remember is that there are many branches of catholicism, each with their own views and beliefs, but all based on the Bible. How do they choose? You would have to ask them, I choose what feels right. I can't be sure today that those writings are all perfectly dictated by God, many have changed over time, so I take those that apply to me and my life. My consience guides me, I know noone who doesn't have one, so I would believe we all do wether we ignore it or not.

Quote:
So born again Christians are fucked then? And if you aren't baptised and you sin before the chance to broker a deal with "God" you're also fucked? I might as well give up hope then. I never realised it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, that boat's sailed then I'm back to atheism in less than 12 hours.

What I meant was every aspect of your life, not just those related to spirituality.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:31 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11359 wrote:
I never said that I took the Bile literally you cretin! Do you even read my posts, or just read what you want to see?

I said, you must take the Bible literally if you wish to be a Christian. Where does any of that mention me? Numpty!
Getting a little emotional are we? You make it a habit of calling people names? Who said you took it literally?
I understand that in your opinion i must take the Bible literally to call myself a Christian, the only thing is i didn't ask you. And even if i did, your answer wouldn't change what i believe. And that is also assuming your definition of Christianity is correct.
Morningstarr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:37 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11378 wrote:
St. Peter works for God. He's just the keeper of the gate. I'm not supposed to impress him. The Bible doesn't teach me anything, it's a book. It's how i interpret it's words that teaches me. Same principal holds true for other types of books. I suggest you read the bible if you find it so interesting a topic, maybe even start your own thread?

So how does he decide? You're still avoiding answering then, do you even know?

So you are categorically stating that you are following your own interpretation and your entire faith revolves around what you believe to be correct? So the religion should really be called Drnaline, you can interpret Christ's words to mean anything you like. Christ, you interpret mine any way you want!