Children

Morningstarr

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 01:29 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11182 wrote:
I think you just did.

You think I just did what? If you think I've been telling you that the Bible should never have been taken literally you are wrong yet again. It may have escaped your notice that I have actually been saying that the Bible should be taken literally if you wish to call yourself a Christian.

Or do Christians all over the world now believe that The Bible is just a simple guidebook not to be taken literally? Which bits are metaphor and which are true accounts then? And who decides?
rhopper3

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:16 pm
@Professor Chaos,
If Diety is indeed unknowable by the human mind in its totality how is it any religious book is anything but a guide? I'm not Christian just for the record and haven't been to church since liesure suits were still popular
Drnaline

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:36 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Quote:
And if you are supposed to follow these rules in order to be a true Christian, why do people like Drnaline do as they please, invent their own morality and rules and still claim to be Christians?

Freewill. I like the part about being judged by an none believing atheist.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11246 wrote:
You think I just did what? If you think I've been telling you that the Bible should never have been taken literally you are wrong yet again. It may have escaped your notice that I have actually been saying that the Bible should be taken literally if you wish to call yourself a Christian.

Or do Christians all over the world now believe that The Bible is just a simple guidebook not to be taken literally? Which bits are metaphor and which are true accounts then? And who decides?
Wrong yet again so there is no need to explain.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:47 pm
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;11248 wrote:
If Diety is indeed unknowable by the human mind in its totality how is it any religious book is anything but a guide? I'm not Christian just for the record and haven't been to church since liesure suits were still popular

I could see if we actually believed that God wrote the Bible by his own hand.
markx15

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:29 am
@Professor Chaos,
Quote:
\

The teachings Jesus valued the self by honoring others with what we would want for ourselves. He acknowledged that the word of God as was enforced had been twisted, and that it could be twisted. He tells christians to value their own judgement, because men of good nature are followed by God and he will direct them, Knock on the door and he will answear, call and he will come, sound familiar? The idea is to use the Bible to learn about the way of God, but he will guide when there is no more need for it.
Tulip cv

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:19 am
@Morningstarr,
Quote:

morn.

I can't stop laughing!!! Here is a self professed atheist who is stating "the Bible should be taken literally if you wish to call yourself a Christian."

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

For someone who "doesn't" believe in God, you sure have a lot to say about Christianity! Obviously, you just don't know what to think.

The truth is that to not beleive in God is much more difficult than to believe...the burden of proof is on you.
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:25 am
@Professor Chaos,
I have always viewed the scriptures as a guide , maybe because I was raised in the Methodist Church .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:13 am
@Professor Chaos,
Well the way it sounds to me is there is no such things as Christians, as none of us are perfect. And it's such a shame, i thought i had a handle on this religous thing, LOL?
Red cv

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 01:00 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Religion and it's teachings usually zing over my head, I was raised Catholic but the masses were in Latin so I have no idea what was said. I guess I'm a sinner and a heathen. I can live with that.
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:38 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11256 wrote:
Freewill. I like the part about being judged by an none believing atheist.
What part is that? I haven't read it.

So by stating freewill you are saying that you can do whatever you please and still be a Christian? If that is the case why does the Bible teach morality? I will ask you once again, what does it take to get into heaven?
Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:41 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11257 wrote:
Wrong yet again so there is no need to explain.

I'm not wrong at all, I have been saying that Christians are required to take the Bible literally, where have I even implied that the Bible shouldn't be taken literally?

No need to explain = "I can't explain". You don't even know how to practice your own faith! LaughingLaughing

9-0 I think.
Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:44 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11258 wrote:
I could see if we actually believed that God wrote the Bible by his own hand.
Doesn't Jesus claim to speak for "God"? Isn't the New Testament Jesus' teaching? I thought the Ten Commandments were hand written by "God"?

So the Bible isn't "God's" or Jesus' teaching after all, so why do you read it? What do you get from it?
Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:47 pm
@markx15,
markx15;11266 wrote:
\

The teachings Jesus valued the self by honoring others with what we would want for ourselves. He acknowledged that the word of God as was enforced had been twisted, and that it could be twisted. He tells christians to value their own judgement, because men of good nature are followed by God and he will direct them, Knock on the door and he will answear, call and he will come, sound familiar? The idea is to use the Bible to learn about the way of God, but he will guide when there is no more need for it.
No it doesn't sound familiar, why should it?

So you are saying conclusively that the Bible is merely a guide to Christianity and all you need to do to be a Christian is ask "God" for guidance? That's fine, I just didn't realise it was so easy. I shall remember to ask him when I'm on my death bed, just to be on the safe side.
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:54 pm
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;11270 wrote:
morn.

I can't stop laughing!!! Here is a self professed atheist who is stating "the Bible should be taken literally if you wish to call yourself a Christian."

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

For someone who "doesn't" believe in God, you sure have a lot to say about Christianity! Obviously, you just don't know what to think.

The truth is that to not beleive in God is much more difficult than to believe...the burden of proof is on you.

I can't stop laughing, you think it requires belief to understand theology?

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

I don't know what to think, it appears the Bible is just full of outdated nonsense and you don't even need to read it to be a Christian. All those that bother must've been wasting their time. I mean, it's hardly a good read is it? Compared to Harry Potter or something.

Why is the burden of proof on me? To translate what you said, you mean believing in "God" requires no thought or justification. You could say that about any myth. Some mindless idiots will believe in anything rather than think for themselves.

Oh, but where does free will come into mindless faith? Sounds like there's no free will involved in belief at all, you don't even bother to try to reason or justify.
0 Replies

Morningstarr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:59 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;11289 wrote:
Well the way it sounds to me is there is no such things as Christians, as none of us are perfect. And it's such a shame, i thought i had a handle on this religous thing, LOL?
Yes, you seem to be kidding yourself.

I never stated that Christianity required perfection, I asked what was required to be Christian, you avoided answering, others have now stated that all that is required is to ask "God" to guide you. Did you know this?

I am now happy in the knowledge that The Bible is just a piece of writing with no real relevance to Christianity, just a bit of light reading soley for entertainment purposes. You can do whatever you want and still be Christian, so bollocks to morality.
markx15

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:46 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Quote:
No it doesn't sound familiar, why should it?

So you are saying conclusively that the Bible is merely a guide to Christianity and all you need to do to be a Christian is ask "God" for guidance? That's fine, I just didn't realise it was so easy. I shall remember to ask him when I'm on my death bed, just to be on the safe side.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you had read the Bible. I am saying that the Bible is how you become Christian, it tells you what the religion consist of. Guidence, that comes from God. That is a non-believers view on the Bible, you can make your own, care to share?

Quote:
I shall remember to ask him when I'm on my death bed, just to be on the safe side.

He'll come, but will you want to repent?
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:48 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Quote:
Compared with Harry Potter or something.

I just had to comment on this, it's so ironic, because I'm arguing the same subject with a couple of atheists on a forum about Harry Potter (huge fan).
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:02 pm
@Professor Chaos,
Harry Potter for president >>> where is the Harry Potter forum
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:24 pm
@Morningstarr,
Morningstarr;11312 wrote:
What part is that? I haven't read it.

So by stating freewill you are saying that you can do whatever you please and still be a Christian? If that is the case why does the Bible teach morality? I will ask you once again, what does it take to get into heaven?
Quote:
I will ask you once again, what does it take to get into heaven?

It takes St. Peter to say, come on in!