Our Poetry

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:57 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38470 wrote:
The dumbing down has been ongoing a lot longer than either of the Bush's tenures. Can't really blame it on them, moreso on an education system more interested in Political Correctness than in education. Once again, you channel everything back to your own bugaboos, rather than allow another opinion to exist.

Poetry exists in many forms other than restrictive iambic pentameter, etc.
What about "free verse"? Much outstanding poetic work has been celebrated that might not fit your conception of poetry, Aaron.

You are out of your league, lecturing me on the finer points of poetry.
I frequently use "free verse"...but I don't mix it with meter, which would render it "non-free". Geez.
As I stated before...it is clumsy to start of in strict meter (i.e. in the vein of a limerick), and then go into free form....good poetry follows one or the other, not both..
Oh, and in reference to you insight into faulty education....would that somehow be linked to Bush's education initiative of "no child left behind" (which has failed miserably)...as infrastructure has gone wanting, and resources ( i.e. quality teachers (with quality pay), books , computers, etc...) are far and few between?????
Freeman15

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:53 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38494 wrote:
You are out of your league, lecturing me on the finer points of poetry.
I frequently use "free verse"...but I don't mix it with meter, which would render it "non-free". Geez.
As I stated before...it is clumsy to start of in strict meter (i.e. in the vein of a limerick), and then go into free form....good poetry follows one or the other, not both..
Oh, and in reference to you insight into faulty education....would that somehow be linked to Bush's education initiative of "no child left behind" (which has failed miserably)...as infrastructure has gone wanting, and resources ( i.e. quality teachers (with quality pay), books , computers, etc...) are far and few between?????

I happen to think "Leaves of Grass" sucked, but Walt Whitman is to this day seen as a "great" poet. Literature is subjective, stop being so pretentious.

Internet forum
Full of pretentious tool-bags
I think I'll eat lunch.

Haiku, I win.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:56 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;38508 wrote:
I happen to think "Leaves of Grass" sucked, but Walt Whitman is to this day seen as a "great" poet. Literature is subjective, stop being so pretentious.

Internet forum
Full of pretentious tool-bags
I think I'll eat lunch.

Haiku, I win.

Impressive....much better than the other poetry displayed in this forum..not mentioning any names.
You're a mixed bag.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:43 pm
@Pinochet73,
Quote:
...longer than either of the Bush's tenures

Didn't you read this part of my post?
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:19 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38550 wrote:
Didn't you read this part of my post?

Really? I hadn't noticed it until Jan 21, 2001.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 08:39 pm
@Pinochet73,
Dumbing down has been going on a long time, it is one of the worst things to happen to our education system in the last 25 years or so.
0 Replies