Bailouts vs. Katrina

rex b

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:32 am
Does anyone else think this is another slap in the face to the victims of Katrina?

Now without a doubt I believe alot of people should mad at themselves for not taking care of their own personal responsibilities but the way the local/state/federal govt handled things were very poor and there are still alot of people hurt from that disaster.

It really seems to be that money could be better spent on those effected by a natural disaster vs. bad company policy.

Just my .02
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 28
No top replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:13 am
@rex b,
We don't decide that, Congress does.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 09:24 pm
@DiversityDriven,
Imagine all the money we'd have if we hadn't gone into Iraq....

money that could have been spent to repair the disaster of Katrina
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
@rex b,
Write your congressman. Imagine all the money we could of saved if we cut government handouts, pay for the war and the next one with Iran. That one should be fun.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 04:07 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;55153 wrote:
Write your congressman. Imagine all the money we could of saved if we cut government handouts, pay for the war and the next one with Iran. That one should be fun.

There is no end to this insanity is there? :dunno:

We are already stuck in one war that continually costs this nation money and lives and now you want to go into another? Is there anything that neo-conservatives will learn from past mistakes? I will not allow it, and America will not allow it.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:31 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;55180 wrote:
There is no end to this insanity is there? :dunno:

We are already stuck in one war that continually costs this nation money and lives and now you want to go into another? Is there anything that neo-conservatives will learn from past mistakes? I will not allow it, and America will not allow it.

"My only advice is: When presented with this historical opportunity to watch a civilization fall, enjoy the show!"

New sig Smile
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:41 pm
@rex b,
Did you come up with that?

I'd imagine it would be like a play from the Shakespearean era. A lot of interaction with the spectators.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 04:55 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;55244 wrote:
Did you come up with that?

I'd imagine it would be like a play from the Shakespearean era. A lot of interaction with the spectators.

That depends entirely on the method of destruction.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
@rex b,
Any one wanna bet on which way B Hussein Obama will go for as a Candidate? Bailouts Vs Katrina, a dollar anyone?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:06 am
@rex b,
I'm against the bailouts and I've said that before. Bailing out the homeowner is a slap in the face to responsible consumers and against the free market concept. Bailing out the companies who loaned them the money rewards businesses for poor practices. Not only should the companies not be bailed out, they should be hit with fines, investigated, and indited for lending fraud where applicable.

That being said comparing it to Katrina is the proverbial apples to oranges. People bill Katrina as the worst response to a national disaster ever, and their right on several levels. The main problem with Katrina was that it was a flood. Private insurance doesn't offer flood insurance and theres a reason for that, it's impossible to cover. A hurricane, tornado, or even an earthquake generally won't damage more then 4 out of 10 homes on an effected block. A flood will hit 10 out of 10, every time, it never misses by it's very design.

Mayor Negan and his Governor displayed gross negligence in dealing with Katrina during the preparation and aftermath, they basically dumped all responsibility on the federal government and expect it to be fixed over a weekend. Considering this was one of the worst floods in American history, and it occurred in an extremely populated area, even with a doubled effort from city and state governments this would have been impossible to archive. The fact is that City and State were incapable and decided to blame the federal government, which predictably failed, because blaming Bush for everything is Envouge. Worse then that several African American leaders/celebrities attempted to reshape Katrina into some racism version of 9-11 for Blacks.

Simply deplorable, so is comparing a massive flood with a bunch of irresponsible borrowers and lenders. And yet, here we are in a thread trying to blame the GOP yet again, it's the liberals who support bailouts and handouts, not the conservatives.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:26 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;55475 wrote:
yet again, it's the liberals who support bailouts and handouts, not the conservatives.

Then explain why the corporations are already being bailed out.

I support NONE of the bailouts. Corporate bailouts, just as with taxpayer bailouts, are an insult to the free market. Not only do they use poor business practices (at the expense of the taxpayer), they are being bailed out with no strings attached (at the expense of the taxpayer). How many billions of dollars have been "injected" into the system already (at the expense of... guess who)?

See who's getting the short end of this stick?

Homeowners have not been bailed out. Corporations have already been bailed out.

Now what?
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:37 am
@rex b,
http://www.cagle.com/working/080327/horsey.jpg

Kinda like that.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
@rex b,
Or this

http://www.cagle.com/working/080320/eagan.jpg
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:25 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;55476 wrote:
Then explain why the corporations are already being bailed out.

the same reason "republicans" are in bed with evangelists instead of being pro sep of church and state, the same reason "republicans" want to regulate the mortgage industry (Bush is submitting a plan to do just that this week). Because "republicans" are no longer republicans, they spend as much as democrats, they want to regulate us just as much, they contribute to pork spending, all the things which aren't supposed to be a part of what a real Republican stands for
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:36 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;55479 wrote:
the same reason "republicans" are in bed with evangelists instead of being pro sep of church and state, the same reason "republicans" want to regulate the mortgage industry (Bush is submitting a plan to do just that this week). Because "republicans" are no longer republicans, they spend as much as democrats, they want to regulate us just as much, they contribute to pork spending, all the things which aren't supposed to be a part of what a real Republican stands for

Had the mortgage industry not screwed the pooch, they might not be looking down the barrel of the regulation gun.

If you screwed up, did you get punished for it?

Regulation must be used sparingly, but in situations like this where the corps HAVE (not might... HAVE) taken us for a ride in the handbasket to hell, something's gotta be done.

I mean, should we rip up all the speed limit signs? We shouldn't regulate, even if we know what's gonna happen, right?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 03:16 pm
@rex b,
I think they should be investigated, fined and prosecuted but government regulation will be a bureaucratic, cost inefficient way of doing business which will punish honest mortgage companies for the transgressions of a minority of problem lenders
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 05:00 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;55482 wrote:
I think they should be investigated, fined and prosecuted but government regulation will be a bureaucratic, cost inefficient way of doing business which will punish honest mortgage companies for the transgressions of a minority of problem lenders

You're still seeing regulation as this evil beast that will destroy all in its path. It's not to stop them from doing their business, it's to keep them from sending us on an economic roller coaster again. "You can't do THIS anymore" is what it's saying.

If they're not doing anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about. Wait... where have I heard that before?

The main reason I am for these regulations is because this is the ONLY action that the two sides have agreed on taking. SOMETHING needs to be done.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:26 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;55235 wrote:
"My only advice is: When presented with this historical opportunity to watch a civilization fall, enjoy the show!"

New sig Smile
Enjoy lookin in the mirror do ya.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:30 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;55503 wrote:
Enjoy lookin in the mirror do ya.

I don't sing "Oh Happy Day" when referring to the end of the world.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:42 am
@rex b,
Yeah, we heard. You just like watching. And i'm also supposed to believe you would give your life to save it right, LOL. Yet you still breath.