What you all think about Russians? or Russian Languauge?

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
How is the situation for Jews in Russia these days, Mr.ET?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:59 pm
Russian culture fascinates me. The language, the people. I have a small amount of russian in me, and I think that has something to do with it.

I got cussed out by a russian woman once. It was one of the most beautiful things I heard! I just wish I knew what she said. . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:54 pm
I work with a guy from Belarussia, I love how he spells his name, Poitr - peter
0 Replies

Den Nederduytschen Draeck

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
Quote:
heh coool!!!
everybody loves russian!

it's a bit unexpected thing
cos i know loads of kids who still think bears walk around the kremlin and that stuff....

p.s. i'm russian

Ïðèâåò! Wink
0 Replies

emley

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
привет-привет)
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
InfraBlue
Enthusiast

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:20 pm Post: 576059 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How is the situation for Jews in Russia these days, Mr.ET?

To answer your question it's really bad, for jews it's bad everywhere there is no place to go where it's not bad for them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:06 pm
That's deplorable, MET.
0 Replies

Dimas

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
I love Russians and I love Russian language. And there's a lot of snow and sun now in Moscow. Smile Mmmhhh.. it's great!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:16 pm
InfraBlue, if you want to know something about the situation for Jews in the Soviet Union, I would recommend a book that is called in Dutch "The Slepak family" (I don't know the English title, I do know that it is not "The Slepak family"), it is about a Jewish man - Solomon Slepak - who becomes a Communist, and his son - Volvodya Slepak (I hope I spell it right) - who was the opposite of him, a dissident and a refusnik. The book makes clear how it was for Jews under Soviet rule. Nowadays the situation of the Russians Jews isn't that good, with the fall of the Soviet Union nationalism occurred, and this has had bad effects on the Jewish community. Besides that, more than 1 million Soviet Jews have since then emigrated out of Russia, mostly to Israel, the USA and Germany, and the ones who are left - about 600,000 - are not very active Jews, also because there was a high intermarriage rate under Soviet rule.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:21 pm
I think that very few Americans are aware that, historically, it is not any Western European country (certainly not Germany) which has been the most anti-Semitic, but Russia. Under the czars, bloody pogroms were commonplace. When the Communists came to power, they took great care to put Jewish Communists in the most visible positions of authority, so that Jews would be blamed for any atrocities which were ordered, in fact, by their non-Jewish superiors.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:27 am
Thanks for the reference, RdI.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:27 am
Ceili wrote:
However, I do think that only a russian could find the language sexy or romantic. I think I would find it hard to get all hot and bothered with someone whispering sweet nothings in any slavic tongue.
Don't be too sure. I used to about melt when a certain someone said something that sounded like this:
Lubiu Tibia, Mya Daraguya.
(Love You, My Darling)
Though when she spoke to her friends or family; they all sounded very angry!

Dombre Utra!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:35 am
Я желаю я смогло поговорить русского!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
You're welcome InfraBlue
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 03:06 pm
I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the Russian people. Without their sacrifice in WW2, we would all be living in a world dominated by nazi Germany.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 03:14 pm
True, although that is more meant for Western Europeans. For many Eastern Europeans, the Russians meant more than 40 years of Communism. I have been to Bulgaria last summer, and believe me: Bulgarians are glad what the Russians did to the Nazi's, but after that... Of course I know btw that Communism is not equal to Russians, and Russians not equal to Communism. But if we talk about "Russia" as "Soviet-Russia" during WW II (that is what I mean), I do not think that "Russians" were eventually very welcome in Eastern-Europe, although they did help getting rid of Hitler and his Nazi's.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:05 pm
Bill, as someone who tried to learn Russian, unsuccessfully, a couple of years ago, you have taken a big leap up in my estimation!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:54 pm
I also admire Russia and its culture, it's literary giants (although I've only read Russian literature translated to English), it's composers and musicians. I enjoy folkloric music and Russia's is some of the most endearing. I appreciate the fact that during WWII they bore the brunt of the fighting in Europe what with the enormous breadth of the Eastern Front.

I'm in the middle of a review of Sergei Bondarchuk's massive film adaptation of Tolstoy's War and Peace. I tell you, Vidor's version has absolutely nothing on it. Aleksandr Nevsky is another titan of early cinema.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:05 pm
Dimas,
How was the winter in Russia this season? Russia's winters are legendary, but what with Global Warming I wonder if it has been as intense as other years or decades.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:35 pm
Too all the russian and lovers of the russian tongue, I humbly appologize for cruelly poking fun at the illustrious russian language.

Steve, I hope you hold me in such high esteem as O'Bill, when I raise a vodka in honour of our caucausian friends. Dyvoorsia. or something like that....he he he lol
0 Replies