What you all think about Russians? or Russian Languauge?

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:21 pm
What you all think about Russians? or Russian Languauge?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,577 • Replies: 50
No top replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:15 pm
I think the russian language sounds interesting and that russians are probably a lot like the rest of us :-)

Why?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:46 am
I only know a few russians and I like 'em fine. In many way I feel akin to them, we canucks share the same 10 months of foul weather. However, I do think that only a russian could find the language sexy or romantic. I think I would find it hard to get all hot and bothered with someone whispering sweet nothings in any slavic tongue.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:59 am
heh i see i was wondering because i am russian i had some people hate on russians but then i am Jewish my religion but i am from Russia so i was just wondering interesting thanks.
0 Replies

D1Doris

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:20 pm
I've met only one russian person in my life, but she was really nice.
And I love the language, it sounds so funny, I'd really like to learn it, maybe I will next year. (I'm a uni student)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:10 am
Russian
Hey MisterEThoughts,

Russia intrigues me, as does the Russian language, and I love the Russian sense of humour; I wish that my Russian were better. Some of the word roots are really interesting... and I don't think that it's an unattractive language; it's full of intrigue, exotic in a way. If you saw or knew some of the Russians I know, speaking in a Slavic tongue wouldn't put you off! Very Happy

But I love Russia, its history and literature, and I hope that I can spend six months or so over there, eventually.
0 Replies

D1Doris

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 03:08 am
I've heard Russian has two different m's. One is pronounced without using the vocal cords and one with using the vocal cords. Is that true?
If it is I'm impressed, cuz I really have no idea how you can pronounce an 'm' without using your vocal cords...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 05:01 am
MisterEThoughts, my family is also Russian-Jewish. I learned a little of the language when younger, but don't remember much. Interestingly, my family has never been to Russia since my grandfather left, but recently, my father was hired to design a theatre in Moscow, and will be planning a trip. If you are interested, I posted my grandfather's memoirs from childhood to adulthood here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7047

It is one Russian man's story, and a bit of a read, but a very interesting piece of history, especially as regards the early history of Russian Jews in the Canadian prairies.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 01:34 am
wow awesome everyone that is lovely yea russian is a good nationality if understood... thanks all and yea there is I've heard Russian has two different m's. One is pronounced without using the vocal cords and one with using the vocal cords. Is that true? yes that is correct doris.
0 Replies

D1Doris

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:25 am
I can't imagine what that must sound like...
An 'm' without using your vocal chords... Isn't that like.. silence??? Apparently not, but anyway, I hope to run into a russian person soon so he/she can give me a demonstration Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:58 am
Well, I saw a film where a Russian submarine captain spoke just like a Scotsman. Must be because the countries are so close or something.....
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:49 pm
haha i see well i am russian and i speak it anyone have any questions i am here so yea...
0 Replies

D1Doris

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:17 am
hello, the only thing I can say in Russian is "my name is", but I really don't have a clue how to write it down. minjazavut...... something like that?? Don't know whwre to put the spaces though..

Scotland and Russia close to each other?? Mr Stillwater, do I misunderstand you or do you have a very weird atlas? :wink:
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:55 am
In the Hunt for Red October, Sean Connery played the captain.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:27 pm
hmm Mr.Connery's accents are 'interesting' at the best of times. I have met a couple of Russian families in the past and found them to be really interesting people and not wholly different to everyone else! I find both the language and especially the history of Russia fascinating. I would love to learn Russian some day, its on my to-do list...as are a lot of things
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:29 pm
Z'drstyi, MisterE. My major problem with the Russian language is the alphabet. I have never mastered it. But, then, I've never really tried to either.

My mother was fluent in Russian. She was also super-fluent in German. But her nationality was Latvian and I was born in Latvia and so the only other language which I can speak just as fluently as English is Latvian. Unfortunately, Russian and Latvian are not related languages. But due to constant contact with Russians over the centuries, some loan words have snuck into Latvian from the Slavic stock. This is equally true of loan words from the German.

All in all my German is a helluva lot better than my Russian. I can actually speak some rudimentary German. In Russian I know a few words and stock phrases (e.g. n'zdarovya), including a few swears. Smile
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:10 pm
heh nice i like
0 Replies

Den Nederduytschen Draeck

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:11 pm
Heh Russian...I hope I'd ever be able to speak it.
It sounds great to me, in almost every possible way.
One of the greatest parts of it are the stresses, which for me result in a nice "tight" sound.

I would call Russian THE language for positive folksongs, and talking sexy. Very Happy
0 Replies

emley

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
heh coool!!! Laughing
everybody loves russian!

it's a bit unexpected thing
cos i know loads of kids who still think bears walk around the kremlin and that stuff....

p.s. i'm russian
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:48 pm
Quote:
I have met a couple of Russian families in the past and found them to be really interesting people and not wholly different to everyone else!

I think also. Though I would say an American has a better chance at being an odd one out among 'everyone else'. You know, the Chinese, Indians, Africans, etc.

Or maybe 'everyone else' was really meant as 'us Americans'?
0 Replies