Another run at peace in the Middle east

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:33 pm
Quote:
Israeli and Palestinian leaders agreed Tuesday to seek a final-status peace accord by the end of next year - ending a seven year impasse. The parties, making the announcement at the U.S.-organized Annapolis conference, said the United States will monitor the process.

VOA's David Gollust reported from the conference site at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis.
Quote:
The parties set up a steering committee to oversee the process that will begin its work December 12, to be supported by regular twice-monthly meetings by the two leaders.

They also committed to implement all their obligations under the largely unfilled 2003 peace road map of the international Middle East quartet - made up of the United States, Russia, the European Union and the United Nations . They said the United States will oversee the process.

"A battle is under way for the future of the Middle East, and we must not cede victory to the extremists," said President Bush. "With their violent actions and contempt for human life, the extremists are seeking to impose a dark vision on the Palestinian people, a vision that feeds on hopelessness and despair to sow chaos on the Holy Land. If this vision prevails, the future of the region will be endless terror, endless war and endless suffering."

The conference included many Arab countries, among them Saudi Arabia and Syria, that do not have diplomatic relations with Israel. Mr. Olmert urged them to stop, as he put it, "watching the peace train go by" and end their boycott of Israel.

Quote:
Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal, a key participant, joined in polite applause for the Olmert remarks though an aide said he would not shake hands with Israeli delegates, saying he was attending for reasons of substance and not "theatrics."

Source- Voice of America News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,692 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 07:34 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;46834 wrote:
VOA's David Gollust reported from the conference site at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis.

"A battle is under way for the future of the Middle East, and we must not cede victory to the extremists," said President Bush. "With their violent actions and contempt for human life, the extremists are seeking to impose a dark vision on the Palestinian people, a vision that feeds on hopelessness and despair to sow chaos on the Holy Land. If this vision prevails, the future of the region will be endless terror, endless war and endless suffering."

The conference included many Arab countries, among them Saudi Arabia and Syria, that do not have diplomatic relations with Israel. Mr. Olmert urged them to stop, as he put it, "watching the peace train go by" and end their boycott of Israel.

Source- Voice of America News

We have to fight like Hell to dominate that entire part of the world. We need its oil. We need to protect Israel, and besides -- it's hideously backward.:rocketwhore:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 08:07 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46909 wrote:
We have to fight like Hell to dominate that entire part of the world. We need its oil. We need to protect Israel, and besides -- it's hideously backward.:rocketwhore:

Imperialism is never justified.
Drakej

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:37 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Piino I am sorry but I do not agree with Oil being an outstanding enough reason for us to dominate the middle east. Who cares if we run out of oil, if we as a nation depend on one region, one resource so much then we do not deserve to thrive. Look at coyotes, rats, roaches and other vermin that exist in the world. Are they the biggest, fastest, most intelligent? No not by a long shot but they do know how to adapt.

Israel does not need our help, they are a nation of war fighters, they have more patriotism that our nation I would be willing to bet. The Middle Eastern way of dealing with things is much different than the Western way of dealing with the same problems. It is attributed to many factors that the Western world does not truly understand. Maybe we should allow these two countries to try and work it out themselves. Did we have India breathing down our necks while trying to figure out our immigration issue? Just because we think of our self as the only super power around any more does not mean we are the world police. Do I think we should leave the Middle East to its on devices? No I do not, but should we run in there and take the sand box over like a bunch of school yard bullies? No we should not. If we want other countries to respect us maybe we should respect them instead of treating them as if they where some 3rd rate nation state.
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:53 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46920 wrote:
Imperialism is never justified.

You can afford to say that, living off the fat of this imperial society. As I said before, one of your problems is that you haven't travelled enough, and seen much of the world for what it is, such that you can appreciate this country. But go ahead -- continue to hate America. Just know that many patriots will always fight everything you stand for and try to impose upon them. DOWN WITH CLINTON.:rocketwhore:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:55 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;46927 wrote:
Piino I am sorry but I do not agree with Oil being an outstanding enough reason for us to dominate the middle east. Who cares if we run out of oil, if we as a nation depend on one region, one resource so much then we do not deserve to thrive. Look at coyotes, rats, roaches and other vermin that exist in the world. Are they the biggest, fastest, most intelligent? No not by a long shot but they do know how to adapt.

Israel does not need our help, they are a nation of war fighters, they have more patriotism that our nation I would be willing to bet. The Middle Eastern way of dealing with things is much different than the Western way of dealing with the same problems. It is attributed to many factors that the Western world does not truly understand. Maybe we should allow these two countries to try and work it out themselves. Did we have India breathing down our necks while trying to figure out our immigration issue? Just because we think of our self as the only super power around any more does not mean we are the world police. Do I think we should leave the Middle East to its on devices? No I do not, but should we run in there and take the sand box over like a bunch of school yard bullies? No we should not. If we want other countries to respect us maybe we should respect them instead of treating them as if they where some 3rd rate nation state.

Try living without your car for a week. Then get back with me. Also, remember this: when they try to blow up Israel, Israel will blow up the Middle East. They'll push the button, and that entire part of the world will incinerate. You won't like it. You won't like the effects.:dunno:
92b16vx

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:13 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46943 wrote:
Try living without your car for a week. Then get back with me. Also, remember this: when they try to blow up Israel, Israel will blow up the Middle East. They'll push the button, and that entire part of the world will incincerate. You won't like it. You won't like the effects.:dunno:

There would be no mass removal of vehicles from our landscape, that is another zombie fantasy that warmonger, chickenhawk, mall ninjas like to think about so they can justify their abnormal paranoia about the world. We export almost the same amount of oil we import from the middle east, at least close enough that we could substitute with alternatives, if the big oil companies would let us instead of making profit off us.

Our problems in the middle east are not because we NEED the oil, it's because oil companies WANT the profits, of course, they are REALLY big profits.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46942 wrote:
You can afford to say that, living off the fat of this imperial society. As I said before, one of your problems is that you haven't travelled enough, and seen much of the world for what it is, such that you can appreciate this country. But go ahead -- continue to hate America. Just know that many patriots will always fight everything you stand for and try to impose upon them. DOWN WITH CLINTON.:rocketwhore:

"Like other states, an empire maintains its political structure at least partly by coercion. Land-based empires (such as the Mongol Empire or the Achaemenid Persia) tend to extend in a contiguous area; sea-borne empires, also known as thalassocracies (the Athenian, Portuguese and the British empires provide examples), may feature looser structures and more scattered territories."

-when was the last time america extended in a contiguous area?
-or maintained its political structure with coercion?
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:17 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I have gone a month without driving my car. This summer I may end up doing it again depending on what station I am going to sent to. Oil is not the life blood of this country it is just that most Americans are lazy asses and dont want to ride a bike and think riding the buss is the poor persons route. If we where to run out of oil do you know what would happen? All of the big oil companies would start growing corn, or dump massive amounts of money into hydrogen powered cars.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:31 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;46949 wrote:
There would be no mass removal of vehicles from our landscape, that is another zombie fantasy that warmonger, chickenhawk, mall ninjas like to think about so they can justify their abnormal paranoia about the world. We export almost the same amount of oil we import from the middle east, at least close enough that we could substitute with alternatives, if the big oil companies would let us instead of making profit off us.

Our problems in the middle east are not because we NEED the oil, it's because oil companies WANT the profits, of course, they are REALLY big profits.

This analysis is total nonsense. We import over 60% of our oil, and have the single greatest manufacturing base, worldwide. WE ARE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL, BIG TIME. It's a fact. Conspiracy theories are lethal. :thumbdown:
92b16vx

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 08:33 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47002 wrote:
This analysis is total nonsense. We import over 60% of our oil, and have the single greatest manufacturing base, worldwide. WE ARE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL, BIG TIME. It's a fact. Conspiracy theories are lethal. :thumbdown:

Do you even have a clue where we import it from? Or how much we get from where? I'll give you hint, MOST of our oil comes from Canada, Venezuela, Nigera, and Mexico. Of the 9,723,000 barrels of crude oil imported during Sept 07 1,441,000 came from Saudi, and 603,000 came from Iraq. Only about a sixth comes from the middle east. Personally, I'd rather pay more, and use less than be dependent on the middle ******* east, and always be in a state of war than have free flowing cheap ME gas, and a bunch of suicidal, backwardsass, backstabbing, cave-dwellers as "allies", or business partners.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:54 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Yes....I have an exhausting habit of reading serious, credible information on a regular basis.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 10:15 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47022 wrote:
Yes....I have an exhausting habit of reading serious, credible information on a regular basis.

Yea, ok whatever you say.

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47002 wrote:

The screwed up this is... we don't have to be. Oil just makes too damn much money!

Quote:
Also, remember this: when they try to blow up Israel, Israel will blow up the Middle East. They'll push the button, and that entire part of the world will incinerate. You won't like it. You won't like the effects.

And Israel will follow. You quickly forget what's in that Middle East. Yup, that good ol makes too much damn money OIL. Guess what, lots of other countries with lots of nukes get their oil from there, too.

If Israel attacks tries to nuke the Middle East, they will glow.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 05:50 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47022 wrote:

I have yet to see you cite a single source!
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;47058 wrote:
I have yet to see you cite a single source!

Do you actually believe I'm gonna waste that kind of time on you? LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:33 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47063 wrote:
Do you actually believe I'm gonna waste that kind of time on you? LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Apparently you don't "waste" that time on anyone! :headbang:

if you consider citing your sources a "waste" of time, but thats probably why your credability is so low.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:37 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;47083 wrote:
Apparently you don't "waste" that time on anyone! :headbang:

if you consider citing your sources a "waste" of time, but thats probably why your credability is so low.

I have a life, Mr. Online Forever. If you spent half as much energy on something productive as you do here, you might be worth scrapping with. :thumbdown:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:38 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47085 wrote:
I have a life, Mr. Online Forever. If you spent half as much energy on something productive as you do here, you might be worth scrapping with. :thumbdown:

...says the person with nearly 4,000 posts!
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:13 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Pino, stop the excuses and post your sources.