Should gay marriage be allowed?

ndjs

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:21 pm
@Brent cv,
I understand that just because it's law doesn't make it right.

But just because it's not a law doesn't mean it should be either.
Brent cv

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:34 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I understand that just because it's law doesn't make it right.

But just because it's not a law doesn't mean it should be either.

I agree I was replying to the new member with what he said...

That is the wrong mentality to have...
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:16 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
The letter of the law says you have the right to marry the opposite sex. That is the law, so what are they being denied? They can marry just like us, the opposite sex! They are not being denied there right.

Their gay, they marry the same sex. why do you have an issue with them? you dont have to live with a gay person, you dont have to watch what they do, just because they love in a diffrent way then you do doesnt mean they dont love people. so your saying we should deny people rights until they turn strait? is that your proposal? im sorry but i dont understand why people have issues with gays! they are people just like you me.

There has never been a gay marriage that has been observed by the United States government. No they do not have the same rights as straits Americans. One of them being that how tax laws are written right now, they do not get the benefits of married couples
lowflyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
@Brent cv,
Dude...married couples don't get benefits, you actually get penalized taxwise for being married.
Brent cv

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:28 pm
@lowflyn,
lowflyn wrote:
Dude...married couples don't get benefits, you actually get penalized taxwise for being married.

The way the tax laws are written today you get a bigger tax break if your married and with children etc etc.

you are thinking about the Marriage Tax
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
@Brent cv,
I pay a lot less taxes now that I am married and have a kid. If a gay couple wants to form a household why not give them the same benefits as a heterosexual couple forming a household.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:31 pm
@Brent cv,
I see no problem with giving them the benefits, but it should not be called a marriage.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
@oaktonarcher,
oaktonarcher wrote:
Their gay, they marry the same sex. why do you have an issue with them? you dont have to live with a gay person, you dont have to watch what they do, just because they love in a diffrent way then you do doesnt mean they dont love people. so your saying we should deny people rights until they turn strait? is that your proposal? im sorry but i dont understand why people have issues with gays! they are people just like you me.

There has never been a gay marriage that has been observed by the United States government. No they do not have the same rights as straits Americans. One of them being that how tax laws are written right now, they do not get the benefits of married couples
I don't have an issue with them. The argument is said that they are being denied a right. That right, according to the law says you may marry the opposite sex. Why does that mean i have an issue with them according to you? The law is the law. I didn't make them. I know i don't have to do any of that, doesn't make them right in doing it. "so your saying we should deny people rights until they turn strait?"
There you go again. What does that law say? They do not have the right to marry the same sex, they have the right to marry the opposite sex just like we do, Get it? "is that your proposal? " No, it's the LAW! Again i don't have an issue with them. They are people who have the same right as you and me, which is? "No they do not have the same rights as straits Americans."
Yes they do! There right is the opposite sex. Why should they get married benifits when there relationship is of no benifite to society? The point of marriage is to bare children, something gays haven't perfected yet other then acquiring someone elses?
Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
I don't have an issue with them. The argument is said that they are being denied a right. That right, according to the law says you may marry the opposite sex. Why does that mean i have an issue with them according to you? The law is the law. I didn't make them. I know i don't have to do any of that, doesn't make them right in doing it. "so your saying we should deny people rights until they turn strait?"
There you go again. What does that law say? They do not have the right to marry the same sex, they have the right to marry the opposite sex just like we do, Get it? "is that your proposal? " No, it's the LAW! Again i don't have an issue with them. They are people who have the same right as you and me, which is? "No they do not have the same rights as straits Americans."
Yes they do! There right is the opposite sex. Why should they get married benifits when there relationship is of no benifite to society? The point of marriage is to bare children, something gays haven't perfected yet other then acquiring someone elses?

Alright if you want to get technical I'll give you they are not being denied any rights.

Now lets change the law so that they are not being punished for being who they are.

Fair enough?

So... if the point of marriage is to bare children... can that not happen without marriage? I am pretty sure it can.... so why not abolish marriage then? People already disgrace it....

Like I said you can get technical and pissy over what you want but that only holds this country back if you want to keep knocking over the smallest things just to say you were right and the other guy was wrong.

Let's stop that and get this country back on track. Let's say "Hey its wrong to punish people who are homosexual by making them pay higher taxes" among other things as well.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:00 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
The letter of the law said it was fine to own slaves.

Like I said your arguement doesnt hold a damn thing.

Just because the law says something does not mean its right.

Good grief you would think people would grasp that.....
"The letter of the law said it was fine to own slaves."

It don't any more. Seems we lost a couple hundredthousand settling that one. What they called a cival war, LOL

"Like I said your arguement doesnt hold a damn thing.":

It don't have too, it's the law.

"Just because the law says something does not mean its right. "

Doesn't have to be right, that's for the courts to decide. It just has to be legal. And would help if it were in the constitution too.

"Good grief you would think people would grasp that."

I grasp it entirely. But using your own words, "does not mean its right".
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:03 pm
@Brent cv,
Read my last response Smile
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:17 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:

There you go again. What does that law say?

I never mentioned them having the right to marry in this context. They are not given many rights strait people are given, like visitation rights in hospital because they are not family.

Drnaline wrote:

No, it's the LAW!
Drnaline wrote:
Why should they get married benifits when there relationship is of no benifite to society? The point of marriage is to bare children, something gays haven't perfected yet other then acquiring someone elses?
Drnaline

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:18 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Alright if you want to get technical I'll give you they are not being denied any rights.

Now lets change the law so that they are not being punished for being who they are.

Fair enough?

So... if the point of marriage is to bare children... can that not happen without marriage? I am pretty sure it can.... so why not abolish marriage then? People already disgrace it....

Like I said you can get technical and pissy over what you want but that only holds this country back if you want to keep knocking over the smallest things just to say you were right and the other guy was wrong.

Let's stop that and get this country back on track. Let's say "Hey its wrong to punish people who are homosexual by making them pay higher taxes" among other things as well.
"Alright if you want to get technical I'll give you they are not being denied any rights."

Well technical is what determines the law. So technically if you new they were not being denied why would you say there were? An agenda maybe?

"Now lets change the law so that they are not being punished for being who they are."

Start writing your congressmen. So they went from being denied to being punished now? Suppose you have proof of that too.

"Fair enough?"

Fair is the way it's been from the start. They want favoritism not equality.

"So... if the point of marriage is to bare children... can that not happen without marriage?"

Sure, happens all the time. But not with Gays.

" I am pretty sure it can...."

Not with Lesbians either.

"so why not abolish marriage then? People already disgrace it...."

Not me 20 years going strong. Do you know of any gay union lasting that long? From what i read they don't make it past three years, while still having multiple partners. Wonder how they do that?

"Like I said you can get technical and pissy over what you want but that only holds this country back if you want to keep knocking over the smallest things just to say you were right and the other guy was wrong."

Call it what ever you want. Just keep emotion out of it. Your to worried about how it makes people feel. I don't care how they feel. Where do you get the anology that knocking over things is proof of being right or wrong?

"Let's stop that and get this country back on track. Let's say "Hey its wrong to punish people who are homosexual by making them pay higher taxes" among other things as well"

Let's not and say we did? Denied/Punished it's all propoganda. Coming from a slanted agenda. They should pay higher taxes, they can never consemate the relationship?
Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:19 pm
@Brent cv,
oaktonarcher wrote:
So should we make it so infertile couples can’t marry either? Should we cut their benefits just because they can’t have children? Or how about couples that choose not to have children? Because as I remember people still have the right not to have children in our society.

Very nice point in regards to the reason for marriage.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Well technical is what determines the law. So technically if you new they were not being denied why would you say there were? An agenda maybe?

Yes I do have an agenda. I want the same treatement for gays as straight people get.

Martin Luther King had an agenda as well.

What is wrong with agendas?

Quote:
Start writing your congressmen. So they went from being denied to being punished now? Suppose you have proof of that too.

Are you kidding me? They are being punished for who they are :bored:

"Your gay, you do not get to visit your loved on in the hospital, you do not get tax brakes...."

If that isn't being punished for who you are than I guess blacks were not being punished for being black in the 50's? :bored:

Quote:

They want to join with the same sex. That is not favoritism that is asking for the same rights that straight couples have.

Quote:
Sure, happens all the time. But not with Gays.

So two people get married because they love each other. The women is not able to conceive... their marriage is not valid now?

Quote:
Not me 20 years going strong. Do you know of any gay union lasting that long? From what i read they don't make it past three years, while still having multiple partners. Wonder how they do that?

Do you know how many straight marriages make it past 3 years right now? From what I read its not many :wink:

Quote:
Call it what ever you want. Just keep emotion out of it. Your to worried about how it makes people feel. I don't care how they feel. Where do you get the anology that knocking over things is proof of being right or wrong?

I can see you don't care how others feel :wink:

Quote:
Let's not and say we did? Denied/Punished it's all propoganda. Coming from a slanted agenda. They should pay higher taxes, they can never consemate the relationship?

I disagree. It is not propoganda. I would appreciate it if you would leave smartass comments out of this as well :yup:
Drnaline

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:34 pm
@oaktonarcher,
oaktonarcher wrote:
Drnaline

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:58 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Yes I do have an agenda. I want the same treatement for gays as straight people get.

Martin Luther King had an agenda as well.

What is wrong with agendas?

Are you kidding me? They are being punished for who they are :bored:

"Your gay, you do not get to visit your loved on in the hospital, you do not get tax brakes...."

If that isn't being punished for who you are than I guess blacks were not being punished for being black in the 50's? :bored:

They want to join with the same sex. That is not favoritism that is asking for the same rights that straight couples have.

So two people get married because they love each other. The women is not able to conceive... their marriage is not valid now?

Do you know how many straight marriages make it past 3 years right now? From what I read its not many :wink:

I can see you don't care how others feel :wink:

I disagree. It is not propoganda. I would appreciate it if you would leave smartass comments out of this as well :yup:
"Yes I do have an agenda. I want the same treatement for gays as straight people get."

And that would be favoritism? Because they will never be equal.

"Martin Luther King had an agenda as well.
What is wrong with agendas?"

Whats wrong is the real reason it'll never get figured out.

"Are you kidding me? They are being punished for who they are :bored: "

No who the choose to be. It is a choice.

Since when do they not allow gays in hospitals? Are you talking about the tax breaks of having dependents? If you are they have to adopt theres.

"If that isn't being punished for who you are than I guess blacks were not being punished for being black in the 50's? :bored: "

Are we gonna talk about racists now? You see it as punishment i see it as life.

"They want to join with the same sex. That is not favoritism that is asking for the same rights that straight couples have. "

And those couples would be a guy and a girl. They can join all they want just don't call it marriage. That same right you keep referring to is to marry to opposite sex, they are not being denied that!

"So two people get married because they love each other. The women is not able to conceive... their marriage is not valid now?"

I believe so long as they try. There is always hope. But not for gays!

"Do you know how many straight marriages make it past 3 years right now? From what I read its not many :wink:"

There averages are far better then gay. Not to mention all the extra health risks for there life style.

"I can see you don't care how others feel :wink:"

I'm of the opinion emotion has nothing to do with a decision like this. If you go by feeling you will be steered wrong.

"I disagree. It is not propoganda. I would appreciate it if you would leave smartass comments out of this as well :yup:"

Smartass, seems to be the truth to me? But i do answer to that name, LOL.
oaktonarcher

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:21 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:

They have never tried to get favoritism, they just want equal rights, they want the ability to marry not to have better parking spots!

Drnaline wrote:

Drnaline wrote:

Are you saying people have to have children to consummate a relationship?
Brent cv

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:21 am
@Drnaline,
Quote:

I didn't say you did. I mean it from a common point of this arguement. Why should they be given these right? As far as visitation they aren't family, at most there lovers. The most they can hope for is a one generation family for they will not have offspring of there own.

That makes no sense what so ever. All heterosexual married people should not be considered family then because they can only hope for one generation of family if they are not able to have children.

Technically :wink:

P.S. Also it is alot easier to follow if you use
Quote:
tags around the text you are quoting than just " "
oaktonarcher

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:43 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:

Since when do they not allow gays in hospitals? Are you talking about the tax breaks of having dependents? If you are they have to adopt theres.
Drnaline wrote:
Are we gonna talk about racists now? You see it as punishment i see it as life.
Drnaline wrote:
I believe so long as they try. There is always hope. But not for gays!
Drnaline wrote:
There averages are far better then gay. Not to mention all the extra health risks for there life style.

Their averages are not all that much better if any; and they are at not high

risk for health issues then anyone else as long as they take the same

precautions as strait people. There is nothing stopping any strait person from

cheating and bring a diseases back to his or her spouse, the same applies for

a gay person. So to say they are a higher risk is assuming they will not be

faithful, which is prejudice of gays in general.