Should gay marriage be allowed?

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:40 pm
Simple enough question is it not?

Should they.

Do you believe that they are the ones holding themselves back from getting these rights because they refuse to accept anything less than it being called a Marriage?

Should it be called a marriage?

Vote and discuss Smile

I believe they should have the same legal rights as us... that is pretty obvious to me... I do also believe they are the main people holding themselves back from these rights because the majority refuse to accept Civil Unions and want the word marriage to be used to show their legal joining.

Whether or not it should be called marriage... I do not think so...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,172 • Replies: 90
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:14 pm
@Brent cv,
I don't give a rats ass what gays do. I'm friends with several lesbians and at least one gay male. As long as they do not hit on me or the like, I'm fine with it.

NO they should not get a marriage. Edit your poll to say that they should have legal rights but not marriage and I'll vote.
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
@Brent cv,
Well, im my eyes there is two types of marriage. Civil marriage, which is what u do at city hall; and Religious marriage, which is what u do when u have God bless your union. If gay couples are going to have the same rights as a married couple under the eyes of the law, why not call it a marriage, that is what they are doing, getting married.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
@Brent cv,
I can't vote in that poll because it doesn't give the choice I would choose .
Gays and Lesbians already have the same rights as everyone else in our country . What they want is MORE rights . Laws already exist to govern the union of people in marriage and marriage is still defined as the union of man and woman .
When that group has enough numbers and political pull , they might be able to get the law changed , but majority rules still applies .
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
@Brent cv,
Because they for some reason want religion applied to it.

I dunno about you, but if someone dissaproves of my lifestyle, I usually don't want anything to do with them. Why do they want a religious marriage, when in The Bible it clearly states that man should not lie with another man, etc.
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
@Brent cv,
I don't go there. If they want to get married through the courts and have the same rights of a married couple so be it. Now going as far as having it blessed by the church is where I draw the line.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
@Brent cv,
Marriage means religion to me.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
@Brent cv,
Marriage is the union of a man and a woman. Civil union is a fancy way to say "we don't really care...go do what you want". I have no problem with gays having a civil union. As far as marriage, let's keep that a sacred thing.
Brent cv

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:24 pm
@Brent cv,
America needs to keep Marriage a sacred thing by making it last.... but that is a whole different topic
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:02 pm
@Brent cv,
haha very very true.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
@lowflyn,
lowflyn wrote:
As far as marriage, let's keep that a sacred thing.
i would never call marriage in the United States a sacred thing, i mean 50% divorce rate and high amounts of cheats.... but other wise, yes they should be given the rights everyone else in this country is given. what is happening to gays right now is terrible.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
@Brent cv,
What is it that is happening to gays ?
lowflyn

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:

Ppl don't want them to be able to be joined in union. Others say it should only be a civil union, others say it should be marriage.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:45 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:

I want to know how they have the same rights in this country....

They do not in Alabama... I know that much :wink:
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:46 pm
@Brent cv,
I understand that - what I am asking is - what terrible things are happening to gays ?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
@Brent cv,
They do have the same rights . They want certain priveledges extended to them that are not allowed in the constitution and in the eyes of most Americans .
Brent cv

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
They do have the same rights . They want certain priveledges extended to them that are not allowed in the constitution and in the eyes of most Americans .

Cause the majority is always right huh? Feels like I have echoed this somewhere else....

They do not have the right to a civil union, they do not have a right to combine incomes like a male and female does when they are joined together.

They are not allowed to visit their loved one in a hospital if/when they get sick because they are not legally a family member.

The list goes on.

They do not have equal rights period. The constitution limits their rights for who they are.

The constitution should be amended to include civil unions and allow these rights to gays.

You my friend, are trying to make it look like the gays are in the wrong here requesting this. You make it sound like they want more rights than us.

They simply do not have the same legal rights as us period. You can run around it and try to word it how you like but they do not.

You are trying to make it out that the gays are trying to get extra rights over us or some ****.

and I still want to know how they have the same rights as a married Man and Women!!!
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:08 am
@Brent cv,
I think I'd be a lot more open to giving them these rights if they didn't keep trying to tell me they were born that way. They aren't. I know two gay people very well, a male and a female. The male said he just likes guys better, and most of the gays he knows are the same way. The girl says she thinks most girls are lesbians because they couldn't get the guys they want. So, from my personal experience and that of my gay friends, they are not born this way.

Sorta off topic, but it ties into this to me.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:33 am
@Brent cv,
The letter of the law says you have the right to marry the opposite sex. That is the law, so what are they being denied? They can marry just like us, the opposite sex! They are not being denied there right.
Brent cv

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
The letter of the law says you have the right to marry the opposite sex. That is the law, so what are they being denied? They can marry just like us, the opposite sex! They are not being denied there right.

The letter of the law said it was fine to own slaves.

Like I said your arguement doesnt hold a damn thing.

Just because the law says something does not mean its right.

Good grief you would think people would grasp that.....