Federal Judge Rules Pledge in School Unconstitutional

Brent cv

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
"pressured" ????? How and by whom ?
And you still have proven nothing except that you believe a certain way . Once again , simply restating your belief is not proof .
It has been debated many times and is still on the money and in the Pledge because of its historical importance and because it is the will of a vast majority of the people .

Umm.. you still havent even touched what I said before... I have not stated what I believe I have stated what the definition of Religion is

The definition of religion is:

A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny;

God = Supernaturl power

Under God in plege = promoting a religion period.

Proven Smile

Like I said the majority is not always right... you seem to think that just because the majority says something they are right period. That is simply not true.

and by the way.. I thought it was the Job of the Supreme Court to decide what is constitutional and not what is popular by the majority :confused:
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:31 am
@Brent cv,
Exactly - the Supreme Court decides what is constitutional . And so far in this instance they have decided that there is no "establishment" of religion in such laws . Remember , the point is that the government shall make no law establishing religion .
Yes we have had things that were legal but not right , witness women's right to vote , slavery , and other issues which have since been resolved by the Supreme Courts , but only after the preponderance of public opinion overcame the opposition , just as I stated , if those who wish the removal of phrases and laws in our body of law become powerful enough ( in other words got the majority on their side ) they may effect change . That is the way our wonderful system evolves .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 11:31 am
@Brent cv,
Ok then should they be promoting a religion... basically the same thing it just isnt on the books :wink:
I DONT BRAKE FOR LIBERALS

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:44 pm
@Brent cv,
how can saying the PLEGE OF ALLEGIANCE in school be found unconstitutional???just hearing that sounds about as retarted as someone saying that somebody blew up the walls that held all the water back in new orleans....i just dont see how people could get so pissed about two words...if you dont like it just say it and not mean it....wouldnt that kinda be like lying???nobodys really ever had too much of a problem doin that when they had too(Bill Clinton)...and its not like UNDER GOD is combining church and state in some huge way...i mean come on...if people are gettin so tore up about two words maybe we should look around and realize we have a serious problem with weak little panzies creeping into the mainstream....get over it...its not that much of a inconvienience.... its not killing somebody although you might die in some countries for saying it...
Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
@I DONT BRAKE FOR LIBERALS,
I DONT BRAKE FOR LIBERALS wrote:
how can saying the PLEGE OF ALLEGIANCE in school be found unconstitutional???

Because "Under God" = Promoting a religion

I have defined Religion in this thread more than enough times where this question should not be asked again. :rolleyes:

Quote:

just hearing that sounds about as retarted as someone saying that somebody blew up the walls that held all the water back in new orleans....

No it doesn't.

Quote:

i just dont see how people could get so pissed about two words...

I don't understand how people can get pissed over the removal of two words

Quote:
if you dont like it just say it and not mean it....

Give me a break, it should have never been there in the first place.

Quote:

wouldnt that kinda be like lying???nobodys really ever had too much of a problem doin that when they had too(Bill Clinton)...

What Bill Clinton did has nothing to do with the legality of those words in the pledge. We are not debating why people are pissed off over two words we are debating on whether these two words are constitutional.

Quote:

and its not like UNDER GOD is combining church and state in some huge way...

It is promoting religion, period. If you do not believe in religion you are required to hear "Under God" everyday during school due to the pledge being required by the government.

I'm sorry but a person that does not believe in God is an American as well and have the right to pledge to their country without religion being brought into it.

You seem to think that the every person that does not believe in God thanks the way this guy does (The guy pushing for it to be removed) This is simply not true. I do not believe there is some god watching my every move and I should not have to say "Under God" when pledging allegiance to my country.

Is it that big of a deal to me? Nope you wont see me bitching about it but it is not needed and since the issue is upon us I am speaking my mind on it.

Quote:

i mean come on...if people are gettin so tore up about two words maybe we should look around and realize we have a serious problem with weak little panzies creeping into the mainstream....

Maybe just maybe we have a problem with the religous right not being able to accept people that do not believe what they believe and want to somehow push their beliefs onto others? This is not just a country for religous people... it is "The Land of the Free" is it not? or is it "The Land of the Free... unless you are atheist, gay...."

Quote:

get over it...its not that much of a inconvienience.... its not killing somebody although you might die in some countries for saying it...

I will not get over it.

Your right it is not that big of a deal in todays time with other issues facing us that are so much more important.

But what does that have to do with the legality of this? Just because it is not that important you want to throw it aside even though promotes a religion just because you dont want to let some left wing win a case?

You know liberals arent wrong 100% of the time :rolleyes:

And conservatives sure as hell ain't right 100% of the time.

A liberal can have a valid point just like a conservative. Until you accept that fact this country will continue to SUCK ASS and will go no where because we still have people bitching over party lines :rolleyes:

I agree with people I believe are right, not that are a member of a certain party
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:59 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Ok then should they be promoting a religion... basically the same thing it just isnt on the books :wink:
You keep saying A Religion. Which one would that be? You say theist is towards/about religion, does that make atheist a religion too? Promoting A Religion to me means favoring a perticular religious sect like Catholics, Jews, Muslims. That is promoting A Religion! Your argument you use them all in one group, wrong. For them to favor A, it has to favor one over the other, it don't. And since when did the constitution change from Freedom for Religion to Freedom FROM religion? I think you confuse the two?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:05 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Because "Under God" = Promoting a religion

I have defined Religion in this thread more than enough times where this question should not be asked again. :rolleyes:

No it doesn't.

I don't understand how people can get pissed over the removal of two words

Give me a break, it should have never been there in the first place.

What Bill Clinton did has nothing to do with the legality of those words in the pledge. We are not debating why people are pissed off over two words we are debating on whether these two words are constitutional.

It is promoting religion, period. If you do not believe in religion you are required to hear "Under God" everyday during school due to the pledge being required by the government.

I'm sorry but a person that does not believe in God is an American as well and have the right to pledge to their country without religion being brought into it.

You seem to think that the every person that does not believe in God thanks the way this guy does (The guy pushing for it to be removed) This is simply not true. I do not believe there is some god watching my every move and I should not have to say "Under God" when pledging allegiance to my country.

Is it that big of a deal to me? Nope you wont see me bitching about it but it is not needed and since the issue is upon us I am speaking my mind on it.

Maybe just maybe we have a problem with the religous right not being able to accept people that do not believe what they believe and want to somehow push their beliefs onto others? This is not just a country for religous people... it is "The Land of the Free" is it not? or is it "The Land of the Free... unless you are atheist, gay...."

I will not get over it.

Your right it is not that big of a deal in todays time with other issues facing us that are so much more important.

But what does that have to do with the legality of this? Just because it is not that important you want to throw it aside even though promotes a religion just because you dont want to let some left wing win a case?

You know liberals arent wrong 100% of the time :rolleyes:

And conservatives sure as hell ain't right 100% of the time.

A liberal can have a valid point just like a conservative. Until you accept that fact this country will continue to SUCK ASS and will go no where because we still have people bitching over party lines :rolleyes:

I agree with people I believe are right, not that are a member of a certain party
"Because "Under God" = Promoting a religion"

A religion being all of them right? LOL.

"I have defined Religion in this thread more than enough times where this question should not be asked again. :rolleyes: "

Sorry i have to ask again? Which religion are you talking about?

"We are not debating why people are pissed off over two words we are debating on whether these two words are constitutional. "

By the definitions that were quoted one page one. Unconstitutional comes from the Supreme Court not a Federal Judge. So tell me again how it is unconstitutional?

"Maybe just maybe we have a problem with the religous right not being able to accept people that do not believe what they believe and want to somehow push their beliefs onto others? This is not just a country for religous people... it is "The Land of the Free" is it not? or is it "The Land of the Free... unless you are atheist, gay...."

Push their beliefs onto others? That must be that freedom from religion clause i have yet to see?
Brent cv

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:08 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
"Because "Under God" = Promoting a religion"

A religion being all of them right? LOL.

"I have defined Religion in this thread more than enough times where this question should not be asked again. :rolleyes: "

Sorry i have to ask again? Which religion are you talking about?

"We are not debating why people are pissed off over two words we are debating on whether these two words are constitutional. "

By the definitions that were quoted one page one. Unconstitutional comes from the Supreme Court not a Federal Judge. So tell me again how it is unconstitutional?

"Maybe just maybe we have a problem with the religous right not being able to accept people that do not believe what they believe and want to somehow push their beliefs onto others? This is not just a country for religous people... it is "The Land of the Free" is it not? or is it "The Land of the Free... unless you are atheist, gay...."

Push their beliefs onto others? That must be that freedom from religion clause i have yet to see?

I guess you extreme right wing religous people will never grasp the fact that there are people in this country that are Americans too and that do not want to have GOD shoved in their face by the government.

God = a religous supernatural being

Religion = read the definition I have posted over and over again.

God has no place in the government period. Especially with people like Bush who seem to want to push it on to EVERYONE.

Your attitude is what is wrong with this country today.

The constitution is not perfect and until you realize that and get off your high horse this country will continue to be set back in the future.

It is time we stop pushing religion within the government just because of some 229 year old outdated.

Times change sir and its time to ammend it once again.

So with your last statement then it seems to me that you have no problem with the government pushing their religous beliefs onto us... since it is not freedom from religion....

If so then I am done discussing this with you, your stubborn and nothing I say within this thread will make it sink through that this country does not revolve around religous people.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:48 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I guess you extreme right wing religous people will never grasp the fact that there are people in this country that are Americans too and that do not want to have GOD shoved in their face by the government.

God = a religous supernatural being

God has no place in the government period. Especially with people like Bush who seem to want to push it on to EVERYONE.

Your attitude is what is wrong with this country today.

The constitution is not perfect and until you realize that and get off your high horse this country will continue to be set back in the future.

It is time we stop pushing religion within the government just because of some 229 year old outdated.

Times change sir and its time to ammend it once again.

So with your last statement then it seems to me that you have no problem with the government pushing their religous beliefs onto us... since it is not freedom from religion....

If so then I am done discussing this with you, your stubborn and nothing I say within this thread will make it sink through that this country does not revolve around religous people.
"I guess you extreme right wing religous people will never grasp the fact that there are people in this country that are Americans too and that do not want to have GOD shoved in their face by the government."

Grasp the fact we do. Where is it we shove it into your head? That's where your confused. It's freedom of not from. There is a difference.

"God = a religous supernatural being
God has no place in the government period."

No place huh? How come most of the people are believers that work in Government or in the private sector. This world is ruled by religious people, strange you don't see that?

"Especially with people like Bush who seem to want to push it on to EVERYONE."

He won by majority, quite whining you lost.

"Your attitude is what is wrong with this country today. "

My attitude is the majority and why it is the way it is. That to you must get over to move on.

"The constitution is not perfect and until you realize that and get off your high horse this country will continue to be set back in the future. "

Looks to me you can't see from your lofty perch. Lookin down on all us little people huh? You elitists killl me, LOL. I realize the constitution ain't perfect, i just don't cry about it. I didn't know minoritys had high horses, where do i get one?

"It is time we stop pushing religion within the government just because of some 229 year old outdated."Times change sir and its time to ammend it once again."

Nope, not if i have anything to do with it. Majority rules and we say no.

"So with your last statement then it seems to me that you have no problem with the government pushing their religous beliefs onto us... since it is not freedom from religion...."

I see no pushing of Government of any one religion. The definition as i understand it say for the government not to favor one over another. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
Means to me, they can't form a state of government religion. "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" That means to me i can talk about it when and sho i wish, wether or not they want to listen is up to you! "or abridging the freedom of speech," I think religion fall under that one too.

"If so then I am done discussing this with you, your stubborn and nothing I say within this thread will make it sink through that this country does not revolve around religous people. "

I don't care if you discuss this further or not. But you should have a legit argument to put up first! Just because you think it is unfair doesn't make it so. I'm not stubborn, you keep taking the constitution out of context and then whining about the results? For it to sink through to me as you say. You would have to come up with some proof of your accusation. I mean prove it doesn't revolve around religion would be a good a start. Then you may carry some weight. Till then it's just an opinion. I didn't make the rules.
Curmudgeon

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:10 pm
@Drnaline,
I agree , DRNALINE .
Brent , I think , is playing the Devil's Advocate here , trying to get us to think , and trying to get more debate going . I applaud him for that , but I will still state again that his repeating his statements over and over does not prove them true .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
He won by majority, quite whining you lost.

How did I lose if I voted for him :confused:

Assumption owns you.

Apparently if you disagree with one thing Bush does you automatically voted for the other guy?

Weird how that works with you people.

Quote:
Nope, not if i have anything to do with it. Majority rules and we say no.

Sad day....
Brent cv

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:31 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

I do not see establishment of a religion I see establishment of religion.

"Under God" Establishes Religion within the Federal Government.

How is that for legit
Drnaline

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
How did I lose if I voted for him :confused:

Assumption owns you.

Apparently if you disagree with one thing Bush does you automatically voted for the other guy?

Weird how that works with you people.

Sad day....

If you voted for him then you must regret your choice? All i have seen is you complain about him. Most fans aren't that critical of there pick? Yes us people against you people, LOL. Did you vote for him in both elections or just one?
Drnaline

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:12 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I do not see establishment of a religion I see establishment of religion.

"Under God" Establishes Religion within the Federal Government.

How is that for legit

In your opinion is establishes religion. Not in ours, hence the way it is!
Brent cv

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:12 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
If you voted for him then you must regret your choice? All i have seen is you complain about him. Most fans aren't that critical of there pick? Yes us people against you people, LOL. Did you vote for him in both elections or just one?

I could not vote in the first election due to age but had I of been able to yes I would have voted for him over Gore.

I am critical of him because I can be and he deserves it just as much as Kerry and everyone in the Senate and House deserve it.

Bush is far from perfect and just because you vote for a person does not mean you are therefore prohibited of being highly critical of him. It does not mean you agree with everything he does. Cause I sure do not.

If you would take a step outside the two threads all your posts are within and look at say the New Orleans disaster you would see me defending him from the critism he has taken on from the far left.
Brent cv

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:13 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
In your opinion is establishes religion. Not in ours, hence the way it is!

I agree and like I said its a sad day....
Drnaline

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:57 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I could not vote in the first election due to age but had I of been able to yes I would have voted for him over Gore.

I am critical of him because I can be and he deserves it just as much as Kerry and everyone in the Senate and House deserve it.

Bush is far from perfect and just because you vote for a person does not mean you are therefore prohibited of being highly critical of him. It does not mean you agree with everything he does. Cause I sure do not.

If you would take a step outside the two threads all your posts are within and look at say the New Orleans disaster you would see me defending him from the critism he has taken on from the far left.
Maybe i will venture to such other threads and see. Liberal or lefty is not out of line if you allow yourself the "religious right" stigma. I don't attend church often. A joke i always remember- What the largest religion in the world? Roman Catholics. What the second largest religion? Non practicing Roman Catholics, LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I agree and like I said its a sad day....
Well that means it was a good day for someone.
0 Replies