Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
Chai,

How long are you staying on this starvation diet? Have you ever read the book Starvation Heights about the woman that claimed the starvation diet healed people of sicknesses and such? Please be careful about staying on it very long.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:37 pm
@chai2,
I told you already, starvation mode makes your body think it's starving and leap at food and store it when it sees it.(that's just a descriptive re metabolism, but pretty good). Or maybe I didn't, and just impolitely yelled at you while being aghast.

Beth's last post was useful, if you'll consider it. Your general metabolism matters.
Starvation type routines are dumb.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:02 pm
Starvation is slows the metabolism. Additionally, your body will begin to retain more of it's water. It is not good for your organs either. Starvation should not be entertained as a method to diet.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:23 pm
@failures art,
Finally people agree with me, who was yelling several days back. I admit I was rude. I approached it wrong, of course.

I blame many diets for at least part of the obesity flume.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:28 pm
I thin the myth that should be dispelled is that calorie restriction does not produce a linear result in weight loss. In other words if a person experiences success by creating a caloric debt of 500 Cal, they should not assume that a caloric debt of 1500 Cal will simply be "better."

At one point calorie restriction stops helping and begins to produce adverse effects.

Adverse effects
R
T
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:28 pm
@failures art,
I'm likely to never agree to 5 lbs a week from you or even Jes, who did that recently, though usually doesn't.

But mostly I take both of your ways of weight loss seriously.

F'art has lost a bunch by a life style change, to vegan or near vegan. This loss will probably keep going, and will level out, as long as he gets enough nutrients.

Which brings up, veg places on your trip, eh?
failures art

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I've never thought of myself as a T'art," but after considering it, I think I like it. Cool

Yes, I changed over to a Pescetarian diet in the middle of my weight loss. I had already lost 15 lbs, and I lost another 15 after. The diet change was not about the weight loss. Since the end of my diet, I've maintained and lost even a few more lbs.

Additionally, I have decided to adopt a fully vegan diet. This came about from the discovery of fake shrimp. I have no need for real seafood ever again. Veggie sushi has even grown on me. I thought that would be more of a struggle.

My advice for a person trying to lose weight is to increase fiber and water intake. The content of your food and not just the caloric value has, in my opinion, a very dramatic effect.

I think 5 lb/week is a good guideline, but I think that should be calibrated to the person. This was acceptable for me: A 27 year old 5'9" male who started at 195 lbs and could budget three 45 minute workouts a week. This guide probably can move in either direction based on the individual and their activity.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:51 pm
@failures art,
Hah, I edited..
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:08 pm

“A wonderful thing about fasting is that it puts an interval between the behavior that you are accustomed to and the behavior that you aspire to. We tend to be creatures of habit, and the ways that we are accustomed to eating and living feel as natural to us as breathing. That is why it is so difficult for people to stop bad habits. But fasting brings your present lifestyle to an abrupt halt. It gives you an opportunity to pause, reflect and decide how you are going to conduct your life afterwards. This enables you to make a break with your past and set off in a new, more positive direction.

“There is nothing routine about eating after a fast. Each meal is a celebration. After fasting, you tend to be very conscious about what you are eating, and why. Fasting heightens your awareness, as well as your appreciation for food. By fasting, we learn to eat with reverence.

“It is the non-doing aspect of fasting that enables us to make behavioral stopping and pausing and interrupting our usual patterns, as we learn to take more conscious control of ourselves.

“There is no better way to stop a vicious cycle of self-destructive behavior than by fasting.”

Ralph C. Cinque, D.C.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Chai,

How long are you staying on this starvation diet? Have you ever read the book Starvation Heights about the woman that claimed the starvation diet healed people of sicknesses and such? Please be careful about staying on it very long.

You think I'm on this?

Confused

I hope you're talking to Rex, and not me.
RexRed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:13 pm
Fasting does not necessarily suggest depriving the body of all food. Sometimes a fast includes a short period of abstinence from eating just certain foods. Fasting does not mean starving yourself. What it does mean to some people is timing when you eat, and then eating specific foods in moderation. However, consuming enough fluids throughout any fast is important to prevent dehydration. Although fasting can be a controversial issue, the value of physiological fasting as a treatment for many chronic health conditions continues to be studied.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4615273_benefits-of-fasting.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:15 pm
@failures art,
Sorry, I still think of it as a dumb guideline. No, I don't have data, just personal observation. What, 20 pounds a month, give me a break.

Every single person I know who has done that has gained it back and then some.

I did lose a bunch of weight myself and keep it off, but not that fast.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

Chai,

You think I'm on this?

Confused

I hope you're talking to Rex, and not me.

No Chai! I was just pointing out that there is a "starvation diet" and it has some very bad effects on the body. I wasn't very clear I guess. I didn't mean you were on THAT particular diet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Rex is off in space (sorry, Rex, I am always straight to you, even if it is only about spinach.)
RexRed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:18 pm
Expert Insight
# Health experts say that most healthy individuals have enough fat stored in the body to live without food for several weeks, as long as they keep themselves well hydrated. Starvation only occurs when the body has exhausted its fat reserves and must use tissue from vital organs as a source of energy to survive. Yet because of the many potential benefits, the medical community continues to study the effects of fasting for enhancing immune function. Since even animals instinctively fast when they are sick or injured, a person's loss of appetite may well be a normal, as well as an effective response to illness.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4615273_benefits-of-fasting.html
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:30 pm
@RexRed,
What health experts?

Fasting and immune function -

Hey, Rex, tell me all you know about immune function. You speak in magic.

Please do not be an internet victim reader.
RexRed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:38 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXp8tmT5iWc
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Ahh read the article link I posted. It gives the MD's name? Are you an MD?
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:47 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Ahh read the article link I posted. It gives the MD's name? Are you an MD?

Are you talking about Dr. Cinque?

After his name are the credentials D.C.
that stands for doctor of chiropractic
The man is a chiropractor.
that's not an M.D.

By the way, speaking of M.D.'s....

What do you call a doctor who graduated last in his class at medical school?

???

????

????

???

Doctor.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:50 pm
@RexRed,
No, although I'm not without creds.

You are very emotional about your present point of view.

Remember me later.
0 Replies