If Anyone Wants My kind Gestures Unextended - Sign Here?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:55 pm
Do what you want to do. To me it all seems contrived and phony, kinda like that great American idea that everyone needs to be told that they are great, every participant should get a metal. In other words, it is of no value to me, because it does not mean anything.
djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
every participant should get a metal.

well, if the metal was gold i might want it Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:03 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Please forgive me this,
But is not this reply a contradiction in terms to your own signature which reads "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein.?
If not could you please explain further what your signature means?

Also is the problem for those who do not wish to read it or for mark for writing it?

All my best, I hope the Butrfly you caught today was brightly arranged and that once you catalogued it you set it back on the wind.

What's contradictory about it? I think Gosh had a creative solution that is a win win for everyone. Mark gets to continue unabated his salutations at the end of every one of his posts in the signature area and those that don't wish to see it get to turn off the display of signatures without having to publicly declare their disdain for the salutations and without Mark having to keep track of who he responds to does or does not want to be saluted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
Now there's an idea for a thread, although I take the best use would be a petition in individual circumstance.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:43 pm
I see no reason for anyone to tailor their posts. We should all be realistic enough to know that no matter what we write, we will not please everyone. Mark Noble should post whatever he is comfortable with.

I skim through posts all the time, skipping whatever I think is irrelevant. (What I think is irrelevant may be relevant to someone else.)
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:03 pm
@mark noble,
Heck, anyone is most welcome to extend kind gestures in my direction, anytime, any place .... (this world is such a hard place! Wink )

Just say exactly what you feel like saying, Mark. The rest of us do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:44 pm
@Transcend,
Quote:
Someone said that 'valuable page space' is being used up by repetative declaratives

I am 99.9999999999999999999% sure that was a joke.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:01 pm
@dlowan,
You would be keerect! D.

Joe(have a nice day)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:24 pm
I want your kind gestures on Sundays and Wednesdays. Rest of the time, a little "Bleh" will do.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
Use all the politeness you like - as Olga said, we sure can use it!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:25 pm
@margo,
I'll vote for "bleh" as a starting pov.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm

Mark, I can't explain why - and I am formulating a Think Tank to aid me in self-discovery surrounding my strong feelings on this specific subject - but it seems that I really just want to smack you.
dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

I see no reason for anyone to tailor their posts. We should all be realistic enough to know that no matter what we write, we will not please everyone. Mark Noble should post whatever he is comfortable with.

I skim through posts all the time, skipping whatever I think is irrelevant. (What I think is irrelevant may be relevant to someone else.)

It's no big drama or anything, but those sorts of salutations make me sort of feel sick.

The more flowery, the worse the sick feeling.

Such is life.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:17 am
@Lash,
Oh, gads. Mark and Lash..

Let me gird my loins.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:18 am
@ossobuco,
Oh, wait, I'm a woman. Do I have loins? Are those the quadriceps?
Khethil

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:23 am
I say put it back the way it was - when it was honestly you
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:31 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, wait, I'm a woman. Do I have loins?

Absolutely.
0 Replies

Transcend

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:11 am
@dlowan,
It was a terrible 'joke'.
engineer

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:20 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

It's no big drama or anything, but those sorts of salutations make me sort of feel sick.

The more flowery, the worse the sick feeling.

Such is life.

I agree with this. While I'm sure they are heartfelt, those flowery comments come off as insincere or condensending when added to the end of a post, especially if you are disagreeing with the person you are responding to. Maybe you should go for an opt-in approach instead of an opt-out. I'd never tell you to modify the way you post, but I'd never ask for those comments either.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:21 am
Mark Noble should post whatever he is comfortable with.

...except kisses.
0 Replies