Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:33 am
I definitely have an ear infection. I got my antibiotics (Cefdinir) and need to take it twice a day for 10 days. The feeling of my ear being under water is gone and my jaw isn't swollen any more but I am still having pains in my ear and my throat is sore on that side. Its sort of a dull ache with a sharp pain interjected now and then. Very irritating.

I started the antibiotic on Friday evening so I've taken it 5 times already, not including this morning which was 30 minutes ago so it doesn't really count yet.

It's literally been years since I've had an ear infection so I don't remember what is suppose to happen. Should I be calling my doctor to tell him I still have pain or wait another day to see if it goes away? I don't want to be taking this medicine if it's not doing it's job. It keeps me up at night and I don't get a great nights sleep. I only agreed to take it because it is one of the drugs they primarily assign to ear infections specifically.

Also, I've heard of viral ear infections (though never knew anyone with one). How do you know the difference? I am fairly certain that my infection is bacterial since it is affecting only one side and it didn't start with a cold and it's only been a few weeks since i finished antibiotics for the sinus infection from hell. I think perhaps this is still part of that and it just migrated to my ear.

So my question is for those who have, in recent memory, dealt with an ear infection. I hate to call my doctor if this is the natural course of the healing process. They won't talk to me over the phone and I'll have to go in and I don't want to if I don't have to.

I trust all my A2K friends here to send me their advice....I often listen to you all. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,708 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:32 am
I'd allow 3 days for full effect for this kind of infection.
Swollen glands in the neck can cause pressure along the ear canal, causing blockage and then it gets infected/
Taking something to dry you up, like an antihistimine or decongestant? Helps to dry up the fluid in the canal.
Good luck, there's nothing as painful as an ear ache
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
Sounds like you made another visit to the ER.
0 Replies

Nurullah

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 02:53 pm
@Bella Dea,
Pain in the ear is a very uncomfortable symptom, which may be due to the local causes in the ear or may relate to external causes.
You running antibiotics.
0 Replies