What's in a purse?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:44 am
@Philis,
Philis wrote:
Hope your taking notes on each of us to get your revelations correct.

I've been fascinated by how many women seem to have make-up/grooming types of things with them (combs/brushes/mirrors/lipstick/glosses etc).
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:47 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
What's in a purse?

It's where I keep my embouchure.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:55 am
@laughoutlood,
ooooooooooh Very Happy
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:15 am
@laughoutlood,
clever.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:25 am
@chai2,
So you gave 2 examples and what about the other million in the area. Patience is virtue. Maybe you should move somewhere else where patience is appreciated and people don't get so irritated at each other. to each his own way to think and act. God Bless old ladies and people that do things how they want.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:49 am
@chai2,
Your response to me makes no sense at all Philis.
Perhaps you'd like to reread my initial response to Thomas, which I quoted below, especially the words I bolded, for you convenience.

I suppose I'll just practice the virtue of patience with you, since you turned around just about everything I said. But, that's just one of the million things someone could have done with my post I suppose.

See, where I live, Austin Tx, people are a lot more friendly than a lot of other places I can think of, and I have no intention of moving from here.

In any event, most people who are very organized, include in that plan the knowledge that other people exist around them. People who themselves are trying to lead their own form of organized lives.

In my opinion, which is not yours, the woman on the bus knew she could have have her metro card out in her hand, (with everything in her handbag safely zipped up) like everyone else, instead of waiting until she was actually where she needed to swipe it. She then could have sat down, and proceeded to put it back, at her leisure.
One of the primary goals of organization is to save time, both yours and other peoples.

Yes, it could have been a million other things, but I was employing occams tweezers.

chai2 wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Keep talking, Chai; not self-organization but.....?

In part, power trip.

Not like Boida, or any of us, who occassionally can't seem to get our stuff together fast enough (just washed my hands, and can't do a thing with them).
Roberta, again, like most people, try to get their ass out of the way to organize/reorganize there stuff where they aren't holding up the works.

This woman is standing in line like everyone else, but unlike everyone else, doesn't have her card/money out and ready.
Instead, she moves up the line, seeing everyone else quickly swiping, moving to their seats, where they then put their cards away, and chooses to ignore these signals as to what has been time tested as the most efficient method to pay, sit, and let the bus get moving.

The very idea that she would wait until she actually stood in front of the bus driver before deliberately starting a multi-step process to even get to your money seems well orchestrated. Especially since she does it this way every time.

We've all been in situations where the cashier will say, "That will be $11.52" and us, wool gathering, came to and said something like "oh! I guess you'll want some money then, won't you. Sorry." Or, there's a person in front of us, not to stereotype, but someone who is the quintessential grandmother/slightly befuddled/maybe older person who totally deserves our respect and must be allowed the dignity of carefully counting out her coins. Believe me, if she turns to you and says "I'm so sorry for taking all this time" and you reply "Oh no m'am, no problem, take your time", you'll be rewarded with the most wonderful, if not smile, warm look from her.
This bus woman, I'm guessing would just give you a blank look, or cold stare if you said something to her, and move more slowly.
Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
@chai2,
Your explanation made a lot of sense, Chai. Of course it could be something else. It always can when you're dealing with human beings. But part of the fun is in the guessing and I find your guess very plausible.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
Why is Thomas so interested in our purses anyway--that's what I'd like to know.

HEY! Get your hand outta there!

If you want some money, just ASK for it!

(Kids these days...)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't like to go into an office with my hair windmilled. No shame for my small brush.

Partly I was formed by a still good friend, fifty or so years later. She was one of us three women in the embryology class at UCLA in 1961. Class, of, say, 200. Pre civil rights stuff, etc. re women going into medicine.

She reached out to me, still in transition from shy to confidant woman, by saying, do you want to get some coffee? at lab class break. But, she always needed a long rest room stop. She was a model, very elegant. Also very smart, and kind. And no slut, if that is what any are thinking. But, vain as all get out. I couldn't believe the mascara stuff.

She is still a close friend, but those waits for her to get through with mascara renewal clarified my own course of laissez faire.

Meantime, we were always late from class break. She got an A, I got a B.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:33 pm
When I was in school, I used to carry all my makeup in my purse. I never knew where or when I'd find time to put it on. Often it was between classes in the Student Union restroom or some such.

I'm better organized now. All I need is lipstick & gloss, for after meals.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

HEY! Get your hand outta there!

If you want some money, just ASK for it!

(Kids these days...)

Not for robbery purposes or money. When Thomas and I were at lunch the other day, he helped my out of a cab and took my purse (a gigantic black travel kinda thing). As soon as I was out of the cab, I took it away from him.

When we were seated, I remarked on how a woman's purse is a very private thing. Very personal. I also told him that when I was a little Roberta, I used to love to go through purses. I liked looking at the makeup, but I also liked seeing what was in there.

I guess the conversation lingered in Thomas's mind. Next thing I know, he started this thread. I'm fascinated and amazed at what people are and aren't schlepping around with them.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:10 pm
@Roberta,
I don't ever even carry a wallet any more.

easier just to operate with what's in my pocket.

(and i almost don't carry any coins, unless I expect to encounter something requiring them...)

my do requires almost no maintenance, and I keep a spare hair band in the truck. (not aldo nova)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
When I was a college student, working at the Henry Ford Museum, the tour guides would remark on the middle aged to elderly couples. The men always carried their wives' purses.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I remarked on how a woman's purse is a very private thing. Very personal.

Very very true.

Early on in our relationship, my husband learned that lesson.

Once he picked up my bag and got something out of it, and I nearly had an anuerysm.

He asked "why, what's in there?"

"Nothing! Nothing you can't see. But...but...<sputter>...there COULD be. You never look in a womans bag!"

To this day, he hasn't looked again.
jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:41 am
@chai2,
When I was in High School, my BFF and I decided it would be cool to invent a handbag that could be set off in case of trespass. We were not inventors so did not actually make anything, but we did come up with what we felt was a kinda cool name: The Jablonsky Exploding Handbag.

Must be said with a very nasal Noo Yawk accent.

Note: neither of us are actually named Jablonsky, nor do we know anyone who is.
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:10 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

The Jablonsky Exploding Handbag.

Must be said with a very nasal Noo Yawk accent.

oh my gwad.
Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
The Jablonsky Exploding Handbag.

Quick! Patent and trademark it! You don't want this gold mine looted by cheap East-Asian knockoffs!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:08 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

On a deep, Freudian level, I'm afraid it's just a prurient interest in the private parts of women. That, and the relevation that the purse is a private part.

Seriously though, Roberta's explanation is spot-on.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 01:03 pm
@chai2,
Oh.My.Gawd.
http://friends-survivor.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/janice.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
Freudian interpretations aside, I've been trying to figure out why I do regard my purse as such a private item. I would be somewhat upset if someone just casually picked up my purse and rifled through it without asking permission. It would seem like a violation of my privacy. But, in truth, there is nothing in my purse that is overly revealing or anything that might cause me to feel embarrassment if it was seen or exposed.

And I know that most women probably feel the same way about their purses. How did these feelings come about?

Do we learn to think of our purses as our private spaces? Was Freud right--are they symbolic vaginas? What is going on with our relationship with our purses?