What's in a purse?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:51 am
Because I tend to be klutzy side, I prefer knapsacks to crossover bags. I love the look of the crossover, but I've got a habit of flinging them a bit too much when I'm putting them on, so they slide over my torso and land on the floor.

I have a couple of nice, sorta dressy, leather knapsacks, some very casual use ones and a sparkly one that mrs. hamburger bought me years ago (she'd pretty much given up on me using "girl purses").

I've recently tried carrying a purse. I've blown out 3 in about 2 months. I've ripped the tabs off the zippers, ripped the tab pulls off, torn linings (ok, not cheap purses either). While the purses were 'pretty', they don't work for me. I'm going back to knapsacks.

What do I carry? cell phone, camera, socks, too many keys, spare glasses (rarely in their cases), kleenex, hand cleaner, dance class schedule, jazz program schedules, a little pouch where wallet-type stuff (cash/cards/subway tokens) are carried, office entrance pass, another pair of socks, hair clips, 2 or 3 folding shopping bags, something to read on transit
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Because I tend to be klutzy side, I prefer knapsacks to crossover bags. I love the look of the crossover, but I've got a habit of flinging them a bit too much when I'm putting them on, so they slide over my torso and land on the floor.

I have a couple of nice, sorta dressy, leather knapsacks, some very casual use ones and a sparkly one that mrs. hamburger bought me years ago (she'd pretty much given up on me using "girl purses").

I've recently tried carrying a purse. I've blown out 3 in about 2 months. I've ripped the tabs off the zippers, ripped the tab pulls off, torn linings (ok, not cheap purses either). While the purses were 'pretty', they don't work for me. I'm going back to knapsacks.

What do I carry? cell phone, camera, socks, too many keys, spare glasses (rarely in their cases), kleenex, hand cleaner, dance class schedule, jazz program schedules, a little pouch where wallet-type stuff (cash/cards/subway tokens) are carried, office entrance pass, another pair of socks, hair clips, 2 or 3 folding shopping bags, something to read on transit

Hey bethie, I'm using the black satchel you sent me. Love all dem compartments. I found that the minute I switched to a bigger bag, I had more stuff to carry around--in compartments. I've got a special place for my water bottle. Another compartment for hospital related stuff and prescriptions. Got a place to carry my pad and pastels the day I go to art therapy. Great bag. I'm sure I thanked you when I got it. Thanking you again.

Sorry to interrupt the flow, Thomas.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:17 am
socks?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@chai2,
socks

gotta be prepared to walk home in case of a power blackout, demonstration, transit shutdown etc

I always carry at least one pair of socks with me. I learned my lesson. There's also a pair of socks in my desk in case the disruption happens before I leave for home.

it's a 15 kilometre walk home. I do not want to be caught without socks in an emergency. It happened once. Never again.
George

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
If my wife took a theodolite out of her purse, I would not be surprised.
0 Replies

Play Dough

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:04 pm
@Thomas,
a purse (opinion) is a 'microcosmic' depiction of the psyche of its owner.
the smaller and uncluttered the purse
the 'clearer ' the owner.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:43 pm
@Play Dough,
or perhaps the more boring
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:46 pm
@Play Dough,
Play Dough wrote:

No doubt. I forgot to mention I have one of those Link Luxe purse hooks attached to my bag...which probably says I'm somewhat of a germaphobe.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Holy crap, you walk 15k home every day? Do you walk or bus there? wow. I used to walk 5 k home each day and it took me about 40 minutes... you are walking a long time after a full day of work! I am mucho impressed!
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Maybe just more simplistic or maybe our coat pockets are bulging Smile
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:57 pm
@Mame,
No - I don't walk 15 km every day - only if things break down - so I like to be prepared.

I regularly do 5 - 8 km. 5 k (2.5 each way) I can easily handle in my normal sockless/sandal state - if it's going to be more I need .... socks!
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Good for you for walking, ehBeth. I love walking. No stress, no fuss, no muss, and you get there in the end.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Maybe just more simplistic or maybe our coat pockets are bulging Smile

since I started wearing men's underwear, I have this spare space in the front that I've been keeping bulky items.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:05 pm
@chai2,
Isn't that convenient? Much more comfortable than storing stuff in my cleavage.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:32 pm
@Play Dough,
Play Dough wrote:

Agreed. That's why it's been so interesting to see what everybody's purse looks like.

Play Dough wrote:
the smaller and uncluttered the purse the 'clearer ' the owner.

I agree about smaller, but on the clutter, I'm not so sure. I suspect there is such a thing as an over-organized wallet. For example, when I take the cross-town bus in Manhattan to visit Roberta, there is usually one woman in line to enter the bus who goes through the following ritual:
  • Walk up to the driver
  • open purse's main zipper
  • open purse's wallet compartment zipper
  • take out wallet
  • open wallet
  • take Metrocard out of wallet's Metrocard compartment
  • close wallet
  • slide Metrocard through bus driver's Metrocard reader
  • open wallet
  • re-insert Metrocard into wallet's Metrocard compartment
  • close wallet
  • re-insert wallet into purse's wallet compartment
  • close purse's wallet compartment zipper
  • close purse's main zipper
  • procede to inside of bus, ignoring everybody else's Stares of Death piercing you in the back.

What do these women's purses tell me about their owners' psyche?
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:10 pm
I think that woman designed that entire process on purpose for more than one reason, the primary one NOT being self organization.
Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:30 pm
@chai2,
Keep talking, Chai; not self-organization but.....?
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
I keep my money in size places. Coins in the zipper compartment. Ones in the front of the bottom paper money slot; fives in the back of the bottom paper money slot. Tens in the front of the top paper money slot; twenties in the back of the top paper money slot.

When I'm putting my change away--in the right slots--I'm sure there's someone behind me in line making and face and wondering what "that old bat" is doing. I usually try to do this once I've stepped off the line. Not always possible.

Do I view this as extreme organization? No. I view this a being very careful. I don't want to pull out a twenty if I want a ten.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:53 am
@Thomas,
Hope your taking notes on each of us to get your revelations correct. This thread might go on for years due to women really don't get a chance to divulge what is in it. Usually we hide it and hold it close due to strangers Twisted Evil
The lady who gets on the bus and does her metrocard ritual seems to me to be very organized. If you had someone who digs, digs and digs for a metrocard it might take longer and they are dis-organized. I've seen em' Rolling Eyes
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Keep talking, Chai; not self-organization but.....?

In part, power trip.

Not like Boida, or any of us, who occassionally can't seem to get our stuff together fast enough (just washed my hands, and can't do a thing with them).
Roberta, again, like most people, try to get their ass out of the way to organize/reorganize there stuff where they aren't holding up the works.

This woman is standing in line like everyone else, but unlike everyone else, doesn't have her card/money out and ready.
Instead, she moves up the line, seeing everyone else quickly swiping, moving to their seats, where they then put their cards away, and chooses to ignore these signals as to what has been time tested as the most efficient method to pay, sit, and let the bus get moving.

The very idea that she would wait until she actually stood in front of the bus driver before deliberately starting a multi-step process to even get to your money seems well orchestrated. Especially since she does it this way every time.

We've all been in situations where the cashier will say, "That will be $11.52" and us, wool gathering, came to and said something like "oh! I guess you'll want some money then, won't you. Sorry." Or, there's a person in front of us, not to stereotype, but someone who is the quintessential grandmother/slightly befuddled/maybe older person who totally deserves our respect and must be allowed the dignity of carefully counting out her coins. Believe me, if she turns to you and says "I'm so sorry for taking all this time" and you reply "Oh no m'am, no problem, take your time", you'll be rewarded with the most wonderful, if not smile, warm look from her.

This bus woman, I'm guessing would just give you a blank look, or cold stare if you said something to her, and move more slowly.