It seems quieter in here...

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Just tried to get a peep at it and my anti-virus and firewall software set off alarms that I'd have to ignore to proceed further. Think I'll wait until they are assimilated here.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@Tai Chi,
Have a good trip + stay/please post on it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, there hasn't been any activity for weeks because of that (it has been hacked since sometime in May) so there's not much to see. We'll bring them and their posts over sometime soon and see if any of them want to hang out over here.
Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Any idea why it was hacked? Was there anything to be gained by it?

Or, do hackers just do this sort of thing just "because they can"?

I have trouble understanding this kind of behaviour.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:02 pm
@Reyn,
Most (as in more than 99%) hacks are automated and opportunistic (for money, it used to be for curiosity or challenge but these days it's all about making money). It was running popular vBulletin software with a vulnerability and then got hit by an automated exploit.

The motivation of the exploit was to make money, through malware etc, but the targeting of the particular forum is just automated, like a virus. It runs a popular (and frequently hacked) forum platform and a malicious script found it and infected it with code that seeks to infect its users.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
would someone elaborate on the story of the Droids please?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:09 pm
@salima,
It was a small forum (about 300 total registered members) called droidmotorola.com that had been around for a few months and hadn't quite managed to get off the ground, the owner sold it to me and it was imported to a2k in February. You can see more here:

http://able2know.org/forum/droid/
salima

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It was a small forum (about 300 total registered members) called droidmotorola.com that had been around for a few months and hadn't quite managed to get off the ground, the owner sold it to me and it was imported to a2k in February. You can see more here:

http://able2know.org/forum/droid/

so you mean even dead members object to being bought?
0 Replies