Move On says AARP selling out medicare

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:26 am
Some Experts Foresee Revolt by Elderly Over Drug Benefits

By GARDINER HARRIS

Published: November 26, 2003

With good intentions and bright advisers, Congress overwhelming passed legislation in 1988 that would insure the elderly against catastrophic medical expenses, including crushing drug costs.
But affluent retirees quickly concluded that they were being asked to pay for something that their employers already gave. They rose in revolt. Congress repealed the legislation within months.

Some experts envision a similar fate for the Medicare drug benefit that the Senate sent to President Bush's desk yesterday. The legislation provides billions in tax incentives to discourage employers from dropping the drug benefits that they provide to about 11 million retirees. But if, as pessimists expect, many large employers calculate that the incentives are not enough, millions more retirees than Congress expects will watch as their relatively rich private drug benefits are replaced by the government's more meager package

I believe that the passage of this legislation will become a major issue in the presidential race among the elderly who happen to be a major voting block in any election. To the detriment of the republicans.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/26/politics/26DRUG.html?th
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:56 pm
I love it! The AARP takes a position which displeases liberals and suddenly they no longer speak for the elderly, and are accused of all sorts of nefarious motives for seeing things differently than the party of the annointed says they should. Rolling Eyes (times infinity)

Reminds me of when I learned that Clarence Thomas was not "black" because of his political and legal opinions. (But that was balanced out by the news that Bill Clinton, due to his positions and politics, is.) :wink:
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 01:38 am
I have been an AARP member for almost 20 years. One would think that after 68 years of watching people sell thier mothers for a couple of bucks I wouldent be shocked by AARP placing thier interest in money makeing insurance companies above the interest of the elderly who they are supposed to be helping. Ill never send them another dime to AARP and will ask my friends 50 and above to also desert these hypocrites.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 08:45 am
[]Drug Industry Seeks to Sway Prices Overseas

By ELIZABETH BECKER

Published: November 27, 2003

WASHINGTON, Nov. 26 — Having beaten back price controls on prescription drugs in the United States, the American pharmaceutical industry is trying to roll them back overseas, with help from the administration and Congress.
In talks over a free trade agreement with Australia, American officials are pressing to water down the system under which the Australian government negotiates the prices it pays for prescription drugs, Mark Vaile, the Australian minister for trade, said here Wednesday. Mr. Vaile said that the American negotiators had raised this "in amongst a range of issues, not as a core issue."
[] If successful, the United States could use this agreement as a benchmark for trade deals with other rich nations. Loosening price controls is a priority for the drug industry, which gets most of its profits in the United States and argues that prices here could be lower if other nations paid their share of the cost of developing drugs.
Mr. Vaile, in a briefing for reporters, said that his government would stand firm against any terms that would affect "the ability of the Australian government to provide inexpensive medicine to its citizens."
He met here this week with Robert B. Zoellick, the United States trade representative, and confirmed that the issue would be on the agenda for formal talks between the countries in Washington next week. The negotiators have set a Dec. 31 deadline for completing an agreement.

I must be missing something. Why does the US government have to negotiate prices paid for prescription drugs with foreign governments? Have our trade representatives become agents for the pharmaceutical industry? It would seem as with every other commodity the manufacturer sets the price and if there is a need you pay the price. It would appear that it is up to the industry to say no.
Congress in it's infinite wisdom and under the direction of the industry made sure that the US government could not negotiate a lower price. Once again the industry has gotten what it paid for the congress of the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/27/business/worldbusiness/27TRAD.html?th
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:18 am
2003 edition

The best politics money can buy

By Daniel Schorr

WASHINGTON – The Congressional debates about energy and Medicare illustrate how far the institutions of the pork barrel and the lobbyist have come.
The pork barrel is no longer simply a favor like a post office in a congressman's home district. Today it can involve huge monetary favors to political supporters. The lobbyist, once someone who patrolled the lobbies to buttonhole legislators, has graduated to big K Street firms, deploying campaign money along with arguments.
The influence-wielder now plays in the big leagues. The energy bill, blocked for the moment by a Senate filibuster, would provide nearly $24 billion over 10 years in tax breaks for oil, gas, and other energy producers. Many of the beneficiaries of government largess are also big contributors to political campaigns. The Washington Post calculates that more than three dozen major Bush contributors stand to gain from the energy bill.
Big lobbies also had spectacular success in the drafting of the Medicare bill, which has burgeoned from the original idea of helping the elderly pay for prescription drugs into a sweeping overhaul of the program. Built into the 681-page bill is $125 billion over 10 years in subsidies for the health industry and related businesses.
The largest item is $86 billion to subsidize the benefits that employers already provide to their workers. There are benefits for doctors, for hospitals, for managed health organizations. The winners of these goodies were the American Medical Association and the lobbies for the pharmaceutical industry, for business, and for HMOs and hospitals.
Where, in this high-powered mix of healthcare providers, was the lobby for the consumers? That should have been the 35-million member AARP. But the AARP had other fish to fry. No longer confined to being an advocate for the elderly, the AARP is itself in the insurance business. It endorsed the now-passed administration bill, to the dismay of many of its members.
All of this reminds me of the book my late friend Philip Stern wrote 15 years ago. It was titled "The Best Congress Money Can Buy." Today, he might write a sequel, "The Best White House Money Can Buy."
• Daniel Schorr is a senior news analyst at National Public Radio.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:27 am
au1929 wrote:
Having beaten back price controls on prescription drugs in the United States, the American pharmaceutical industry is trying to roll them back overseas, with help from the administration and Congress.

Isn't this good news, AU? Won't this mean greater competition and cheaper drugs here in the US as the global market shoulders more of the costs????
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
Scrat
The question is why the drug companies couldn't or can't do it by just refusing to sell at the controlled price. I asked that previously and still do.
If the government rather than tying their hands had simply told the industry either you bring the prices in line with the rest of the world we will impose price controls. The Industry would have taken the appropriate action. Of course why should they when they can more easily milk the American people.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:12 am
From the Financial Times

Quote:
Medicare bill hands victory to drug groups
By Christopher Bowe in New York

Passage of the US Medicare bill is a victory for pharmaceutical companies, providing some relief from public anger over drug access and cost and potentially boosting sales and profits.

The industry could see up to $10bn in extra sales and $4.7bn in additional profits, a rise of 2 per cent, in 2006 when the benefit starts, according to a Merrill Lynch study. The study estimates potential sales of $15.4bn in 2010 and $7.4bn in profits.

These estimates are based on senior citizens spending more on drugs than they do now because of new money coming from the Medicare scheme.

The volume of sales is expected to climb as about 10m senior citizens without drug insurance could boost usage with new coverage. But analysts caution that the biggest expansion in the US federal healthcare system for the elderly in 40 years might also force heavy discounts on drug makers, offseting any increase in volume and limiting their windfall.

In a report by Citigroup, analyst George Grofik estimates that pricing pressures could wipe out the extra sales made from more volume.

The Citigroup report said that discounts of 22 per cent in retail prices would mean no extra revenue for the drug industry. But a discount of only 10 per cent could mean $2.66bn in new sales to the industry.

The new plan also moves the drug industry out of the public's line of fire, at least temporarily.

The industry felt that once senior citizens without cover were provided with cover, the issue of drug costs for them would recede. Hank McKinnell, Pfizer's chief executive, likened it to car insurance: since motorists are covered they care less about the cost of parts for repairs after an accident.
The drug industry also got the structure it wanted - a benefit administered by private-sector companies.

But political battles loom. Senior citizens are still required to pick up a large portion of their drug costs and the US government will become responsible for nearly half of all prescription drug purchases.

This could be worrisome if costs increase rapidly and the government tries to push for more price controls - something the industry abhors.

"If volume growth is much greater than anticipated under the Medicare drug benefit, and not sufficiently offset by pricing pressures, we believe the industry would face the prospect of government price setting activity down the road," said Mr Grofik.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1069493495080&p=1014232938216

Au -- I think the response to your comment is there is no such thing as "the government" -- what we call the government is made up of individuals who are lobbied day in and day out by this industry, who are beholden to it. If price controls were put in place, the industry would invest little or nothing in influencing politicians -- certainly much less than they invest now. So then election time comes and the ol' war chest is looking pretty skimpy...

We do indeed need price controls, but which do we put in place first, price controls or campaign finance reform?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 10:46 am
au1929 wrote:
Scrat
The question is why the drug companies couldn't or can't do it by just refusing to sell at the controlled price. I asked that previously and still do.
If the government rather than tying their hands had simply told the industry either you bring the prices in line with the rest of the world we will impose price controls. The Industry would have taken the appropriate action. Of course why should they when they can more easily milk the American people.

Au - Maybe I misunderstand you, but you seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth. If I understood you correctly, you claimed to be against price controls, but also complain when our government refuses to implement them and when there is an effort to repeal them overseas. It just makes no sense to me. I think you recognize the logical argument against price controls, but wonder whether you just can't bring yourself to be in favor of anything that might be good for those big, evil drug companies, even if you recognize that it would also be good for us.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 11:19 am
Scrat
My contention if the government were to threaten to implement them it would give the needed impedes to the drug industry to refuse to sell drugs to other nations at reduced prices at the expense of the American consumer. Of course with the present legislation that has become impossible. The Drug companies won that vote.

I think the vote in the the senate was in the neighborhood of 73 for industry and 27 for the people.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 11:51 am
AARP grows into $636 million empire

Posted: Friday, November 28, 6:32am EST

AARP's fight for legislation giving private insurers a new role in Medicare surprised many Democrats, but in fact the giant retiree group has long been in the health insurance business itself.
In 45 years, AARP has grown from a program founded to insure retired teachers to a more than $636 million-a-year empire that pays its chief executive a half-million-dollar salary and lends its name to things such as pharmacy services and Medicare supplemental insurance, and discounts for hotel rooms, car rentals, shopping and cruises.

AARP bills itself as an advocacy group for older Americans, but draws more than two-thirds of its income from ventures other than its $12.50 membership fee. Its lobbying costs, though in the millions of dollars, are a tiny fraction of its revenue.

Executive director William Novelli says AARP is part business, part senior citizens' advocate and part lobbying group.

But the group has gained enemies in Washington along the way.

Retired Sen. Alan Simpson, R-Wyo., scrutinized the group's profit-making enterprises while in the Senate in the mid-1990s, questioning how AARP could be entirely tax-exempt when it was making millions. AARP ultimately was forced to move its business side to a for-profit, taxable subsidiary called AARP Services Inc.

Simpson said he joined AARP when he turned 60, "just to see what they did."

"I just couldn't believe it. Everything was about money: `Send in your dues,'" Simpson said. "The advertising wasn't directed to the little guy. It was how to do resorts and cruises, and special wheelchairs and stairs in your home for five grand."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:25 pm
Analysts: Seniors’ drug costs to rise

Under Medicare bill, prescription premiums, deductibles go up

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, Nov. 25 — Seniors will face annual increases in premiums and deductibles — and a growing gap in coverage — for the prescription drugs they buy under the new Medicare law, budget analysts say. For example, the $250 annual deductible at the start of the program in 2006 is projected to rise to $445 by 2013.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/998150.asp?0dm=C23LN
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:42 pm
Apparently (from what I heard on local radio call-ins this morning) the **** is already hitting the fan, at least in Texas. The particular issue? The matter of mail-order medicines which are a feature of the plan and their overall cost increases to seniors.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:31 pm
Tartarin
The drug industry needs the money for the final or ongoing payments to congress.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
Good point, Au! Did you happen to see the letters in today's (or was it yesterday's) Times about the Medicare bill? They are being circulated in a round robin email which must have gone to about every email user by now -- uniform condemnation of the bill. I just reread them in the paper and thought, Well, maybe the backlash will build sooner than I'd expected.

Simpson's comments are echoed. And there's a call for a new AARP.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:47 am
au1929 wrote:
Scrat
My contention if the government were to threaten to implement them it would give the needed impedes to the drug industry to refuse to sell drugs to other nations at reduced prices at the expense of the American consumer. Of course with the present legislation that has become impossible. The Drug companies won that vote.

I think the vote in the the senate was in the neighborhood of 73 for industry and 27 for the people.

Confused
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
Quote:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:25 am
If a counter AARP were formed I would join it. I am over sixty and never saw the good in the first one, so never joined.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:41 am
It sounds as though a new AARP may be forming up, Edgar. The reason I joined was that when I returned to the US (as an artist, reasonably successful but nonetheless in a profession with not a whole lot of security!) there was no "artists' group" medical insurance.

About five years later, I found a group plan (for artists) which was reasonable but iffy, and so a few years after than, when I turned 50, I jumped at the more reliable plan AARP was offering which has now segued into a Medicare supplement. The only other way AARP is useful to me is minimal -- a motel discount which I can get through my AAA membership and its lobbying efforts up until a few years ago when the organization seems to have become a corporate shill. People in the 60's are far from being old fools and there has been enough protest for me to have some hope that either AARP will be forced to become much more responsive to its members of a new organization will be built. There's a lot of energy behind the protest, I think.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:01 am
edgarblythe wrote:
If a counter AARP were formed I would join it. I am over sixty and never saw the good in the first one, so never joined.

If you never saw the good in the first, why do you think you'd join the second? Confused
0 Replies