The Anosognosic’s Dilemma

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
There is a very interesting read in the New York Times today. I think it applies to a lot of what we experience and what we do on internet forums. The article deals with competency.

The New York Times wrote:
David Dunning, a Cornell professor of social psychology, was perusing the 1996 World Almanac. In a section called Offbeat News Stories he found a tantalizingly brief account of a series of bank robberies committed in Pittsburgh the previous year...

...Wheeler had walked into two Pittsburgh banks and attempted to rob them in broad daylight. What made the case peculiar is that he made no visible attempt at disguise. The surveillance tapes were key to his arrest. There he is with a gun, standing in front of a teller demanding money. Yet, when arrested, Wheeler was completely disbelieving. “But I wore the juice,” he said. Apparently, he was under the deeply misguided impression that rubbing one’s face with lemon juice rendered it invisible to video cameras....

Today was part 1 of 5: But I wore the juice!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/opinionator/emorris/adilemma/01_nyt_lemon_427.jpg

I'll try to track this story and post up links to the next four installments.

A
R
The real trick is using apple juice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
@failures art,
What's an "Anosognosic"?
sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:17 pm
@dlowan,
Someone so incompetent that they are unable to realize the depth of their own incompetence, evidently. (I sense a new insult du jour.)
sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:26 pm
@sozobe,
Actually not quite, it's a little more broad than that:

Quote:
Anosognosia is a condition in which a person who suffers from a disability seems unaware of or denies the existence of his or her disability. [11]

Full passage from the article:

Quote:
David Dunning, in his book “Self-Insight,” calls the Dunning-Kruger Effect “the anosognosia of everyday life.”[10] When I first heard the word “anosognosia,” I had to look it up. Here’s one definition:

Quote:
Anosognosia is a condition in which a person who suffers from a disability seems unaware of or denies the existence of his or her disability. [11]

Dunning‘s juxtaposition of anosognosia with everyday life is a surprising and suggestive turn of phrase. After all, anosognosia comes originally from the world of neurology and is the name of a specific neurological disorder.

DAVID DUNNING: An anosognosic patient who is paralyzed simply does not know that he is paralyzed. If you put a pencil in front of them and ask them to pick up the pencil in front of their left hand they won’t do it. And you ask them why, and they’ll say, “Well, I’m tired,” or “I don’t need a pencil.” They literally aren’t alerted to their own paralysis. There is some monitoring system on the right side of the brain that has been damaged, as well as the damage that’s related to the paralysis on the left side. There is also something similar called “hemispatial neglect.” It has to do with a kind of brain damage where people literally cannot see or they can’t pay attention to one side of their environment. If they’re men, they literally only shave one half of their face. And they’re not aware about the other half. If you put food in front of them, they’ll eat half of what’s on the plate and then complain that there’s too little food. You could think of the Dunning-Kruger Effect as a psychological version of this physiological problem. If you have, for lack of a better term, damage to your expertise or imperfection in your knowledge or skill, you’re left literally not knowing that you have that damage. It was an analogy for us.[12]
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:45 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(I sense a new insult du jour.)

I'd be lying if the thought had not come into mind while reading the article. There are some posters here who are quite anosognostic about their political or scientific rhetoric.

That aside, I think the article is still a great read.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm
NYT wrote:
June 11, 1914. In a brief communication presented to the Neurological Society of Paris, Joseph Babinski (1857-1932), a prominent French-Polish neurologist, former student of Charcot and contemporary of Freud, described two patients with “left severe hemiplegia” – a complete paralysis of the left side of the body – left side of the face, left side of the trunk, left leg, left foot. Plus, an extraordinary detail. These patients didn’t know they were paralyzed. To describe their condition, Babinski coined the term anosognosia – taken from the Greek agnosia, lack of knowledge, and nosos, disease.

Part Two

A
R
T
0 Replies