What time zone do you live in?

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:32 am
Quote:
Professor Philip Zimbardo conveys how our individual perspectives of time affect our work, health and well-being. Time influences who we are as a person, how we view relationships and how we act in the world.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,652 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 01:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wow, lots of good discussion points in that...way too many to fully absorb in one listening. I'd like to find a transcript of it and study it. Am putting that on my to do list for tomorrow after some sleep.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 01:35 am
Interesting. I'm not sure what time zone I live in. The older i get the more past oriented i seem to be I think.

Some observations

Kids
Quote:
They live in a world they create

They create nothing.The world is created for them. They do however control that world.

Quote:
their brains are being digitally rewired.

I agree, however many kids cope with this, some dont.

In the past kids dropped out of school. Many did not even make through high school. These kids went on to be the unskilled labour of the country. Now there are less unskilled jobs available.

What to do about this is something social planners should give some thought to.
All great societies have had a period of predominantly hedonistic culture especially by those in powerfull positions before their downfall.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hmmm...first bite at that....a solid base of present hedonist with enough future whatsit to get me by in terms of success, but only JUST enough.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
Can't find a transcript, but it looks like he has a book and website on the subject:

http://www.thetimeparadox.com/

There are a couple of interesting time surveys on the site:

http://www.thetimeparadox.com/surveys/

Take the Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory (ZTPI) to get an idea of your scores in the different time perspectives.

You can also take the Transcendental-future Time Perspective Inventory (TTPI).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:23 am
And, if you're interested in the RSA Animate aspect of the video, here's their website. Apparently, they select various talks to animate this way. The wide selection of thought-provoking topics on first glance looks to rival that of the TED conferences.

http://www.thersa.org/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:55 am
@dlowan,
I am a mix of future-oriented and hedonistic too. Not at all past-oriented.
0 Replies