Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:28 am
@IceB0x,
??? wither though goest?
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Iceb0x here, as I've forgotten my password for my account and made a new one.

I made it to the doctor's and after being put on a heart monitor and after going through various tests, they found I have a ventricular problem. My heart doesn't gradually increase heartbeats as my body releases adrenaline. Instead, it rises all at once. On one recording my heartbeat was 75, then instantly jumped to 170. My blackouts were because of the sudden change in pressure. If my symptoms worsen or become more frequent, I'm to be put on a beta blocker regimin indefinitely.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:29 pm
@Ragman,
Sorry for the late reply! This is Icebox, though I've since forgotten my password to that account, so here is my new one.

It took quite a while to get everything arranged and to rule out some possibilities. My iron was again checked, and was normal. To be sure I was put on an iron regimin for 6 weeks and then had my blood checked again. It went up some, but my symptoms still persisted so he ruled out anything related to weight/anemia/etc. I had yet another ekg because my old one was [obviously, as you had stated] a little out of date. It was fine. Because neither my blood or the ekg showed anything, I was given a month-long heart monitor.

I sent in my results and had it viewed by a cardiologist. Apparently I have a ventricular problem [I believe he called it ventricular synosis]. When my body releases adrenaline, my heart doesn't gradually increase in speed. I may have a lot of anxiety and adrenaline, but my heart is still very normal. Eventually it realizes I have released adrenaline and then instantly increases speed. One of the recordings I sent in showed an instantaneous jump from 75 to 170. My blacking out episodes were caused by the major shift in blood pressure.

Anything can cause an episode; from stress, from caffeine, from excitement. Even riding bike or exerting myself can cause my blood pressure to change instantly. I was told if my symptoms get worse or more frequent that I have to be put on beta blockers to keep my adrenaline blocked indefinitely.

The good news is that he said some people mature out of it in their early to mid twenties. My mom told me I'm not going on beta blockers period [she hates the idea], so I guess I just have to manage it on my own.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:39 pm
@Subliminal0,
Thanks for coming back and telling us, subliminal.

Glad it's diagnosed, though I'm sure it's difficult to absorb the situation.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
No problem. I haven't forgotten about everyone here.

Me, too. I wouldn't exactly say it's very difficult; it's more of a big relief for me because I was beginning to wonder if I was just a hypochondriac. I'm glad to know it was something physical and not just me.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:22 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm a little torn about your mother differing with your doctor. If your doctor eventually thinks you need the treatment, he or she and your mother should talk, as well as you and the doctor.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
She thinks my symptoms aren't frequent enough to merit beta blockers, but she's not the one that has to live with it. I say I might as well take them and never have to worry about my symptoms. I'll be 18 this coming August, so really, the beta blockers will be solely my choice before long. As long as I'm not in danger of dying from not having them, I don't really mind her decision in the meantime.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
subliminal:

Thanks for returning here to update us. Excellent to see that you are OK right now. However, the sudden onset of this sort arrhythmia such as this is life threatening and can come without warning.

ALWAYS keep hydrated when exercising or out in the heat. Limit the extremes of exercise..go conservative.

Ventricular synosis I've never heard of. Perhaps you mean synopsis? that means you had a stroke. Clearly something is not right with this info, if that is the case.

However, I'm very concerned about your mother saying you will not be put on beta blockers. Firstly, if an expert cardiologist advises a med for a serious arrhythmia , it's wise to follow their advice. Why does she feel she doesn't want you on beta blockers? What does she think is/are the downside of beta blocker meds? How does this stack up against the problems you're having.

My circumstances and diagnosis is different, but I've an arrhythmia (ventricular tachycardia) and I've been taking beta-blockers for years with no ill effects. I've known quite a few people on beta blockers (young and old) with no ill effects.

Does she understand that you've a serious arrhythmia (even though you COULD outgrow it)? You state that there's nothing wrong with your heart, but clearly there is. Why is there this denial?
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:52 pm
@Ragman,
I had never heard of it either. I looked it up and I see pages with 'ventricular synosis' together, but they never yield any information that's useful to me. I don't really care about the name as long as I have a solid reason as to why it's happening. If I took the blockers and they didn't help me at all, then I would completely doubt their reasoning.

I was not told I had to be put on beta blockers, but that it was an option open to me. My original doctor, not the cardiologist, seemed wishy-washy about me taking them. I haven't really talked to my mom about the blockers, so I'm not exactly sure why she dislikes the idea so much. I think it's just the idea that it's a pill regimin and I'm so young.

I'm not in denial. I know what it's been diagnosed as. I don't really look at it like grave news because I know it could have been much worse. I've just accepted it and moved on. If it becomes daily or gets to the point where it's no longer 'almost syncope,' then I'll confront my mom about the beta blockers.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:00 pm
@Subliminal0,
Good, re turning 18 soon.
Not that I know the pros and cons, but people who work in this field should.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:14 pm
@Subliminal0,
You sure it isn't ventricular stenosis?

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/000178trt.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulmonary-valve-stenosis/DS00610

http://www.cvphysiology.com/Heart%20Disease/HD004.htm

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:27 pm
@Subliminal0,
Subliminal0 wrote:

I'm not in denial. I know what it's been diagnosed as.

Clearly you DON'T know what your diagnosis is or you'd know it's correct name. And no matter what the name is what you have said is that you have episodes of ventricular tachycardia. While your symptoms may not be considered 'grave', they are quite serious and should not be minimized. Mercy! You lost your vision for a brief period of time.

Let's just say if it's ventricular stenosis . Why not try looking up the definition of stenosis?

Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's possible that that's what he said it was. I tried to catch it in conversation with my mother, and stenosis and synosis could be easily confused. I just know that the reasoning behind it is the same regardless of what fancy name a doctor wants to give it. If I'm put on beta blockers eventually and it doesn't clear my symptoms, then I'll look for a different diagnosis.
0 Replies

Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:30 pm
@Ragman,
I tried catching it in conversation. Synosis, stenosis; they're all the same to me. I don't care what the name is as long as I know why it happens and how to counteract it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:34 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm not going make this an adversarial situation; however, but the point is that you don't know. You are clearly demonstrating that. And you should be listening more closely to medical experts.

Stenosis means a narrowing of the blood supply to an artery.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:46 pm
@Ragman,
All of the ventricular stenosis causes that I've looked up show that it's from a birth defect or from other causes like sicknesses I don't have. If I can grow out of what he said I have, then it's obviously not stenosis because a birth defect is for life unless operated on. I don't care about the name, I care about what it is and how I can fix it. Whether or not I know everything about my 'diagnosis' doesn't really aid me at this point because I'm unable to make medical decisions for almost another year. My mother can override anything at this point because I'm not an adult.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:07 pm
@Subliminal0,
Sub, how often do you see the doctor? Can you get him or her to write out the word next time? Me, I'd try calling the office and asking the spelling, but I was always forward, as at your age I wanted to be an m.d. Or maybe I'm fibbing, and that my forwardness came some time later.

But it's true that right now you need behavior indicators, and it seems you have them. I understand your assumption re it being "grow out able" and thus not a surgical defect matter, and can see how what you know now is a relief, that is actually a condition that you may get past sans treatment.

Actually, I wish you could talk with the doctor more but I'm speaking as if you were me. Plus your mother also has her hands full. I am sorry about your brother's problem too.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Brother's problem?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@Ragman,
Her other topic...

http://able2know.org/topic/163107-1
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to natter at myself. Your mother may be right in her judgement (that's the way I spell it).
0 Replies