What do you do to relieve stress?

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:12 pm
I've recently been told to avoid stress because of a ventricular problem. The irony is the diagnosis couldn't have come at a worse time.

I'm a senior in mostly honors courses, I have a college course, and I babysit 9 hours most days of the week on top of this. I also have my senior project. My brother was diagnosed with cancer, and now this heart problem. To add to it, I'm in a long distance relationship.

I've tried yoga, and it helps to an extent afterward. I don't always have the physical motivation to do it anymore, so I was wondering, what do you do to relieve stress? Any hobbies or ideas that might help me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 23
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:37 pm
@Subliminal0,
I found a lot of relief in my life, years ago and sometimes now, by drawing, simple pencil drawing, perhaps to music, or not. I tend to like quiet and you might too, given all you describe. With a pencil and a sharpener, you can draw on any old back of an envelope, for example. I took classes, but you're busy enough. In the beginning of my classes, we were taught to look at an object, say, the telephone, and draw the outside of the phone with your pencil at the same time your eye moved around the edge of it, without looking at the page. I got some pretty peculiar telephones, I did. But that's only an exercise re hand eye coordination. Even now I'm not so sure how vital hand eye coordination is,
as art varies, and I'm not sure this exercise improves it. Still, an engaging thing to do.

You can draw a telephone or a vase, etc., by looking at the vase and looking at the drawing, back and forth. For me, there was some slight improvement versus not looking at the page... You can play with how to give the vase volume. You can play with how to give the vase what they call gesture, not trying to be photoreproducing it, but giving a sense of the 'gesture' - reaching up? - of the vase with your lines or scribbles.

Now this as an idea to do to relax might drive some people up the wall, but I liked the involvement in the process, and the result didn't really matter, it was just the result of that one attempt, a kind of play.

Others might suggest meditation and I'm a dummy about that.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
If you can tolerate drawing to relieve stress, by fooling around with a pencil and distracting yourself in a relaxing way, you might like this New York Times drawing series, probably going to the earliest date as a starter.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html?8dpc
0 Replies

Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I've drawn seriously for about 5 years now, but I gain an image first and then attempt to put it into Photoshop. I can't draw without expectations of the result. If it doesn't go the way I want, I trash it. To me, drawing is a complete love-hate relationship. It can easily make me angry, so I steer from it when I'm trying to relax. I'd actually like to take figure drawing classes, but because I live in Nowheresville and other complications, I can't and probably never will.

The drawing without looking down sounds interesting. Drawing in PS with a tablet is sort of similar, as you don't look to where your hand is, but instead at the screen. I know it took practice to get anatomy correct.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:27 pm
@Subliminal0,
That's the crux, expectations of result, and the trashing. I saved some of my worst stuff that I secretly still sort of liked (we had exercises to draw some complex bunch of stuff in three minutes, including drawing people in costumes posing but not rigidly) I've got some of those quick watercolors framed now, for the life in them.

I was never an art major, I just took a big swath of studio classes. My cousin on the other hand was an art major; this was a ucla in early sixties. Hiss, she has always had better hand eye coordination than I do, but.. partly by being facile, never explored much. I don't say that just by myself, but with a later mentor in another field who agreed with me. (That's also facile, I had a still later boss who probably came out of the womb being able to draw perfectly who is now an adventurous artist.)

Anyway, my cousin used to tell of a guy who was very gifted at drawing what was there at the focused spot in her class, and then one sunny day the teacher dragged in a bunch of leaf dropping branches and stuff and dumped them in a pile, and gave the students two minutes, well, maybe five minutes. Story being that that student was lost.

Turns out, that is an old art teacher trick, to break down rigidity. Happened in one of my classes too, the teacher emptying the totally horrible trash can onto the center of the floor and timing us.

Anyway, if the art play stresses you, never mind, you have enough difficulty.
I didn't mean to go on about timing, more about play and engagement, and distraction.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
To be honest, I think some of the most beautiful drawings come out of loose, timed sketches. They tend to have a lot more gesture and just generally seem more artistic. It would be really nice to see some serious figure sketches, or just timed sketches in general, to be water colored and framed as a series. Most artists frown upon their loose sketches, though, so they mostly never see the light of day. It's good that you keep things even though you feel they may not be your best. Keeping old images and putting them together as you progress can really show an image of growth. It could be inspiring later in life.

Naturally gifted artists make me cringe. It's a wonderful thing, but they don't know what it's like to earn the ability. I was praised in art class over the others while growing up, but to draw from memory, I was really poor at it. Now I draw only from memory and I have to say, it took more work than it was worth. Then you have gifted artists who just flaunt something they know nothing of how lucky they are to have. It really sickens me sometimes.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:06 pm
So..

I don't mean to take over the thread re how you can relieve stress.

but, paying attention.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:18 pm
@Subliminal0,
Urgg.
Naturally gifted artists seem easy to me, at least a fair amount of the time.
I'm not exactly posturing, I've been on committees and juries.
I wasn't schooled in drawing from memory (what?) but I think I get the teaching concept. That's something after my school days.
Memory comes into everything.

You may want to read Roberta's thread.

I'll give a link but I'll have to figure where in the thread to link it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:21 pm
I have to confront that you are super smart, subliminal.

I hope this isn't a construct.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't really consider a person that can only draw what they see as an artist. They may be brilliant, but I think they're better if, say, they can draw an image in their head with no reference. Any person can draw something in front of them, but it takes skill and hard work to draw from memory. It's not only learning the subject, but learning to recreate it with their own perspective.

I know some classes do teach it, as my art teacher growing up greatly encouraged drawing from memory.

To be more on topic, I am still open to any suggestions you have regarding hobbies or stress relievers.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I can't assure you that I am 'super smart.' While it's polite that you think that, I just consider myself better articulated than teenagers my age. No facade here. We all have differing opinions on others intelligence and I don't want to come off as a 'know it all' or any of the like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:00 pm
@Subliminal0,
I think that's only one more trick, most often a trick.

Ok, ok, nice to talk with you.

Hobbies and relievers, got to think about it.

Alas, I'm starting to doubt you are seventeen.

Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:09 pm
@ossobuco,
If you think of anything, let me know.

This time I can assure you, I am truly 17. I hope that doubting my age is positive.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:18 pm
@Subliminal0,
It is positive.

I don't really know.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a myspace [sadly, as sometimes it's the only way I can keep in contact with friends] that would sway your disbelief, maybe. I even have my mother and brother added, funny enough as it is. But I'll let you believe what it is you want to believe. I have nothing to prove. Thanks for taking the time to talk.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:36 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm not sure I doubt you. More sure that I don't. It just crosses my mind as you are pretty smart.
Subliminal0

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I think it would be easy for anyone to sound smart over the internet. Maybe the proper grammar throws it out of perspective. I love literature and it would be a sin to take the duel enrollment I'm in and 'teyp liek ths.'
Hoony Ready

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:23 am
@Subliminal0,
We must pay attention to relieving stress and developing a clear and positive mindset. Most of us are exhausted after work. Not just physically exhausted, but mentally and emotionally as well. Unfortunately, we tend to bring the stress of work home with us and that leaves us feeling completely drained. When we feel this way we are not productive at home and we tend to snap and act cross toward family members. So we can try some of the following ways to deal with stress and develop a positive mental attitude:
-->When you get home don't instantly throw yourself into a project or home chores. Go to a quiet room and read, meditate or just lie down for a while. It is amazing how recharged you will feel if you take a short nap after a stressful day. By spending even 15 minutes in a quiet area free from noise and chaos you can have that time to regroup and start fresh.
-->When you are feeling stressed and anxious you have excess energy. The best way to release that energy is through exercise. Go for a walk or a run. Ride a bike or throw a ball with your kids. You will be releasing the pent up stress energy and doing something that is good for your body at the same time.
-->Many people use alcohol or other substances for stress relief. When the effects of the alcohol wears off the issues will still be there. It is better to confront your stress head on rather than avoid it. In addition to alcohol, cigarettes are a way to find stress relief. However, like alcohol you run the risk of addiction and the added stress of health problems later in life. So I would suggest that it is better to avoid harmful substances.
-->A common way to deal with stress is to eat. So make sure you have a good selection of healthy snacks on hand both at home and at work. Tuck an apple or banana in your bag to eat on the way home. If you have a healthy snack close at hand you are less likely to binge on junk food. So we must always eat healthy.
Everyone faces stress during their workday. But you don't have to change jobs or feel stressed all the time to deal with it. You must just practice these simple stress relief techniques and you will find the peace and serenity you crave.
I hope you get what you need.
Good Luck...
Regards
Subliminal0

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:15 am
@Hoony Ready,
I'm honestly in no physical condition to be exercising as my heart acts up when I do. I'm also normally too emotionally, mentally, and physically tired to. I wake up early, do schoolwork, my classes, then I babysit for 9 hours, come home at midnight, stay up until 2-4 am doing schoolwork, sleep a few hours, and do it again. I don't smoke, drink, or binge on junkfood so at least I'm doing well there. I could stand trying to meditate or lie down for a few minutes, though I did yoga and it's helped me less and less. I will give it a try anyhow. Thanks for your time, Hoony.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:15 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm sorry I brought that up, it was a momentary thing. I'm impressed with your language ability and your clear way of discussing matters that must be quite trying to you.