IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:35 pm
I've been having episodes where I don't quite pass out, but I lose all my vision. It can last for 5-10 seconds or up to a few minutes. On top of this I will occasionally get heart palpitations and feel as though my heart falls into my stomach and I get a cold rush/goose bumps. I also have a racing heart frequently. I've been checked for heart problems because my brother has mitrovalve prolapse. I have none. No history of health problems in my family. I've been to a couple doctors.

My first said that I was dehydrated, so I of course drank more. No difference. My mother consulted another doctor who said I didn't eat enough, so then I ate more. I gained weight, but no difference. My last doctor I consulted while I was at a physical asked if I had any strange problems. I told him of my vision loss, and that I also sometimes has an unneeded racing heart/palpitations. He told me it was nothing to worry about. It appears to me I find the least qualified doctors.

My vision loss gets set off by a few things. I know when standing up, the heart beats faster but mine will occasionally beat so fast that I can't breathe or I get vision loss. I can't shower in a stall shower because I feel as if I'll pass out and I also lose my vision. Occasionally even showering in a large stalled shower (with tub, etc) will cause me to feel faint and lose vision.

My worst episode was caused by neither. I got up in the morning to go to the restroom, but by the time I made it to the room, I felt so nascious and shaky. I was up for about 5 minutes by then so I knew this didn't cause it. I went to the kitchen for a drink, but I lost all of my vision by the time I made it there. I had to be helped to sit down. Even laying down, it took me about 5 minutes to gain back complete vision. I was unresponsive for about the first minute or two.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? My BMI is about 16 [5' 4", 94 lbs]. I don't feel that my diet or what I drink has anything to do with it. I don't drink pop, alcohol, or coffee. I don't eat desserts or really fatty foods other than things like fries that are deep fried. I don't eat out, either.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:48 pm
@IceB0x,
The next time you experience such an episode, I would go to the emergency room of your local hospital and let them evaluate the condition of your body while in the episode or as soon after as possible.

You'll want them to do a blood work up, an EKG, etc.

You might want to write up a short history of past episodes of this and keep it with you to help inform the ER doctor.

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:49 pm

I am not a doctor and have no medical training whatsoever.

My first thought was dehydration as well.
I assume your blood pressure is OK as you did not mention that.
I'm inclined to think faintness and loss of vision would be related to not enough blood reaching your brain.
Restricted arteies?
Is the faintness associated with any dizzyness?
could this be related to balance and the inner ear?

I suggest of course that you consult with a doctor in a more extensive way. ask for possibities and suggestions.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
Are you taking pills for high blood pressure? Personally, I have to watch them closely.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
It could be a wide range of things.

When I was experiencing severe anemia a few years ago, I too would experience very similar symptoms and episodes of weakness to the point that I passed out in the shower a few times, once hitting my head so hard I had a mild concussion.

My mother has a chronic potassium deficiency that causes her heart to occasionally race and have irregular palpitations. She learned that the low potassium was the cause by going to an ER room during one of the episodes.

Many years ago an old boyfriend of mine had epilepsy and experienced frequent black outs due to petit-mal seizures.

You need to have some tests run for a proper diagnosis.
JPB

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:58 pm
Have you been checked for diabetes or hypoglycemia? Spiking or low sugar dips can cause the systems you're describing. So can a bunch of other things. I'm guessing you're a teenager or young adult, right? Did they check you for anemia? That too can cause dizziness. The vision thing sounds more like glucose spikes or dips though.
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have previously went to the ER after an episode. I also had a 103 degree fever with my episode, but by the time the doctor decided he wasn't too busy to see me, my fever had broken and he told me nothing was wrong with me. I live in an area where towns can have as little as 400 people, so I think our hospitals aren't exactly 'good' in any sense.
0 Replies

IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
@dadpad,
My blood pressure has always been healthy. I'm young and have no problems with restricted arteries. I don't get dizzy. I shake, get lighted headed, lose vision, my stomach gets upset, and I can become unresponsive for short amounts of time. I've never had a problem with balance [my balance is quite good], ear infections, or anything else.
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I have always had healthy blood pressure. I'm sorry about yours.
0 Replies

IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have been diagnosed with anemia a while back a couple times, so I know I'm a bit prone to it. I considered anemia, but I just had a physical exam exactly ten days ago and everything was healthy. I'm 100% sure I also don't have epilepsy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
@IceB0x,
I am sorry I posted in a desultory manner. I hope you quickly talk with a smart doctor, that could be very important.
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@JPB,
I thought of this in the beginning, but I've been checked for both. My mother and I kept a detailed journal of what I ate and my sugar levels. Nothing was considered abnormal by my doctor and my mom has worked in the medical field with diabetes patients and also thought nothing was abnormal. I'll be 17 in a couple months. I've been checked for anemia and I don't have it. When I did have anemia, I never had these symptoms. I only slept constantly and felt a little weak.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:17 pm
Quote:
I shake, get lighted headed, lose vision, my stomach gets upset, and I can become unresponsive for short amounts of time.

How young? late teens?
I had similar episodes in my late teens.

Mild form of epliepsy?

reallistically we could guess at this for any amount of time.
I understand your need to talk but it most probably wont achieve anything and more than likely lead you in a wrong direction.
If your doctors are saying its nothing to orry about they should be explaining why they think this.

edit: missed you post eplaining your age (sorry)
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
No apology needed. I feel that after 3 doctors haven't figured out what's wrong about something seemingly easy to diagnose leaves my chances of figuring it out in my area pretty slim. To give you an idea of how the doctor's in the hospitals are here; my brother broke his collarbone as a child and was told he was fine/faking it. They hadn't even taken an x-ray on him.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:22 pm
Quote:
How young? late teens?
I had similar episodes in my late teens.

Quote:
I'll be 17 in a couple months.

I dopnt know what caused my symptoms but assume they were as a result of some growth/hormone spurt and my body not being able to keep up.
With me It seemed to be associated with getting up from a prone position suddenly.
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:25 pm
@dadpad,
What was your diagnosis, if I'm not wrongfully prying?

I have no epilepsy and it doesn't explain how I'm triggered. I'm not desperate to find a solution because I've changed small things that reduce the stress on myself. I just can't help but wonder what it may be. With or without an answer, I think asking can't hurt anything. Thanks for the honesty though. I do appriciate it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:26 pm
@IceB0x,
I missed where you state your gender. I'll assume you are female and perhaps an athlete or dancer. I'm no doctor and you REALLY need a real doctor - a cardiologist. They should be running a series of tests on you. You could have some sort of obstruction to blood flow. This is a serious matter. I'm baffled as to why there hasn't been a battery of EPS cardiology (electrophysics testing) done on you.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) is generally benign, but not for everyone.

Doctors call passing out syncope. The lack of vision or partial vision is an indication of a circulation -- poor bloodflow to the brain if a doctor let you out of their office or clinic without knowing why shame on them. also, shame on you or your parents for not getting them to get this answered.

That being said, if you are female, 5ft 4 and only 94 lbs, you're about 25 pounds underweight from the norm. Why are you so underweight?
What do you eat? how do you work out?

Personally, I think there's a lot missing. Also not that many people know their BMI. So by virtue of the fact that you know your BMI, I think you know what it means to train athletically. If you do, perhaps you are over-training too. Are you anorexic? Has this been diagnosed?
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:26 pm
@dadpad,
It makes sense, seeing as growth spurts take a lot out of a person. It's good they've went away.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:35 pm
@IceB0x,
You may have been having some growth spurts, but the syncope and all the other symptoms are more serious than what may occur from typical growth spurts. Tell your parents to get you to a real cardiologist. ASAP. Even if it means traveling to a major hospital. Trust me when I tell you I know what I'm talking about. this is not meant to scare you, but this is not something that will pass lightly due to growth spurts.

The heart palpitations you are having are one problem..but the arrhythmia and syncope are major issues..and are nothing that should be shrugged off by you, or especially your doctors.
IceB0x

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, I am female. I'm not an athlete or a dancer, but I can see where you drew that from. I've been tested for heart problems when I was younger and was ruled out of everything tested [to be honest, I don't really remember what I was tested for other than mitrovalve]. My mother felt it had something to do with my heart also, but I haven't had any tests done for about 3 years.

I've had these symptoms and other symptoms of poor blood flow, especially when I exercise. My joints turn red and I get red vein-looking lines on my thighs especially. I can get sick to my stomach when I jog or ride bike. I've been told that everything is okay and nothing is wrong by a couple doctors also. I took it as low endurance at first, but I have done endurance running [about 2 hours straight a day] when I was in track and field. I know I'm not out of shape.

My doctor had prescribed me to gain weight also, but it didn't change my symptoms. I'm of very small stature. I've always been underweight, but none of my doctors have felt it was an extreme problem other than one. I'm not anorexic or bulimic (spelling?). I eat complete meals. I love fruits, meats [I know for a fact that I do eat more protein than is recommended], and pastas. I used to take vitamins on a daily basis, but have been out of that schedule for a little bit. I will admit I'm not a large vegetable person, but I eat as many vegetables as I can stand with every meal.

I am aware of athletic training. I'm not sure if you are familiar with P90X? My mother began it and I did with her to support her. I did for about a month and I gained muscle mass and ate more, but I lost weight so I quit. I haven't done it for about two months now. It didn't affect the frequency of my symptoms, so it leads me to believe I am not over-exercising.