edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i didn't think they were so scary, the white dude was a bit of a poser, but peggy lipton was cute and linc was one cool mofo

They did a lot of running, punctuated by close ups with heavy breathing, followed by more running.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
@Francis,
Quote:

Because their god is a dangerous lunatic, prone to kill, destroy, burn, crash, drown all those that don't follow his will..

God is a republican?

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:30 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Setanta wrote:
Why is the god squad so scary?

Because their god is a dangerous lunatic, prone to kill, destroy, burn, crash, drown all those that don't follow his will..

Remember that if you have only one testicle, you cannot enter his house..

You are still here, aren't you? Wink
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:37 pm
@dadpad,
yes.

he works for Haliburton.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Not all do. Back when I was a catholic, proselytizing was not pushed, at least in daily life, although there was a heavy interest in supporting catholic missionaries to foreign lands. I take the routine daily life type pushing as a fundamentalist christian behavior, and am not sure that all of those sects do it either.

I was raised C of E.

We barely mentioned religion amongst ourselves.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:27 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

maybe not ALL the religious-you mean the fundamentalists, right? [color=#FF4000]those guys who were supporting george B[/color]? yep, they scare me.

I wasn't aware that the religious right supported George Burns?! I guess it shows that they've been so out of touch since good old Mr. Burns died in 1996. I guess vaudeville never truly dies! Or do you mean another George B.?
Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:30 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
clowns scare me.

Clowns are a part of the Taliban and Al Qaeda's secret mission to destroy the American way of life!!

Always Laughing on the outside and Crying on the inside!! They're MONSTERS I TELLS'YA!!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:43 pm
@dlowan,
We didn't mention it except in religion class, not among ourselves outside of school, and never that I can remember with others. Others - I first really met "others" when I got a job the day I turned sixteen - and I liked all those people. No religion talk there either. My fellow hospital cashier taught me about horseracing, for example.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, nooooooooo, David's posting style is rubbing off on you... now, that's scary.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@Setanta,
lol. If they had their way and their religion became the law again, I truly believe that they would still be doing all the bad things they used to do. You know, like burning people alive for being witches and such.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:36 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Setanta scares me.

And if doesn't scare you too, I've got a rock and a match at the ready.

So there.

He's "t'e satan".
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
ugh... here for respite. Why do I bother going into threads about atheism vs theism?
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

ugh... here for respite. Why do I bother going into threads about atheism vs theism?

Madness?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:52 pm
It really does fall under that oft-quoted definition of madness (doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results).
stevecook172001

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:57 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Why do the religious feel obliged to run around attempting to shove their superstitious lunacy down everyone else's throats? They scare me. They burn people they don't like, you know. Especially the old ones, and i'll be 60 this year.

They're also screaming all the time about truth, and about love. If you don't love their truth, they'll stone you, or burn you, or just run you down with a pick-up truck. It seems like they're angry all the time!

What's up with that ? ! ? ! ?

maybe not ALL the religious-you mean the fundamentalists, right? those guys who were supporting george B? yep, they scare me.

All religion is, at it's heart, fundamentalist. It has to be, in order to survive as a cultural meme.

Which is why it is so poisonous.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Isn't that a kind of tofu?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:01 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

It really does fall under that oft-quoted definition of madness (doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results).

It's like fiddling with a pimple...you know you shouldn't...but....
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:14 pm
@dlowan,
Or slowing down to view a car crash.
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:30 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Or slowing down to view a car crash.

Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh!!! I NEVER want to do that!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 01:35 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

For the same reason you like to watch zombie movies. Rationally, you know the zombies in this movie won't stay killed---that, indeed, they'll get right on their way to Cambridge just after you see that "THE END" line. Subconsciously though, you can't help feeling that they just might get killed for good this time. And you can't bear the thought of missing it. Atheism-vs-theism threads are a lot like that.

Another parallel to zombie movies might be that religious threads expose you to some anxieties of yours, but do it in an environment you're in charge of. That's a well-known way we can control such anxieties, and hopefully cure them eventually.

I'll be sending the bill for this diagnosis in the mail.

Yours, Dr. Phil Thomas.
0 Replies