THE "WINK" WHAT DOES IT IMPLY???

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Pq,
May I just point out, "One man's rubbish is another man's treasure".
I think many of the threads on this forum are complete and utter rubbish, but I don't damn them because I think this, I just focus on the ones I am interested in.

You're entitled to your opinion, nevertheless, but why do you, like others, pursue what is of no interest to you, in the first place?

Welcome to A2K!!!
You'll soon learn (as we all had to) that there are quite a lot of pedantic posters on here.
Most A2Ker's come on here for debate; nothing, therefore, is more satisfying than picking holes in an argument that isn't cogent. That is why such a banal thread has attracted so many posters.
Your argument isn't really cogent, it's more a web of symbols that you appear to find pleasurable to think of in a certain way... I'm not saying that that's not fine, I'm just saying, that since this is the nature of the forum, don't be surprised if people berate you for not making strict 'sense'. There's nothing more annoying than guessing games, so don't wind everyone up. (Does anyone remember that 'guess my age' thread ages ago that ended in such drama?)
Was it Butler who said, 'Think like a wise man, but talk in the common language', some things are beyond words, but if you look around I think there's a number of posters who still manage to make difficult and esoteric ideas accessible, as much as they can be ( which is good; this is a knowledge board, after all!). Read fresco's posts, for instance.

Quote:

This thread should have been in the philosophy section, for like-minded individuals to query, but no! All normality has been disrupted by this change of forums.

Actually, I only ever really inhabit the philosophy boards. I don't really class this as philosophy to be honest. It's more like elaborate interpretation of quasi-religious bunk.

Quote:

My relationship to A Lyn, or anyone else, is none of your business.

I didn't answer some part of your post! Am I obliged to? No! But out of common courtesy, lacking here, I shall.

Well if you want to explain your ideas, you might think it best.

Quote:

Where I live - people do NOT wink at people for any of the reasons pre-mentioned. And nobody has any problems relating to the terminology I have applied.

Well someone said on here that you are English (?) I am English, and I seem to have found the explanations given by others pretty relevant.
Maybe they missed sexual innuendo?
mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:25 am
@squinney,
Hi Sqinney,
I'm inclined to agree. I have never heard a "wink" referred to as an "eye-twitch" in the Uk. And, of course - if someone deliberately winks (not eye-twitches) it is redundant to this thread. Thank you for crossing the divide Squinney. It is mainly a US forum this, I guess. Why didn't someone point this out earlier then???
Thank you again Squinney.
Have a great day.
Mark...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:26 am
@mark noble,
Yeah, he seems to actually mean a wink.

mark noble wrote:

Why would anybody wink a greeting at someone? Just say "Hi", what further is being communicated?

It's not a binary situation. In addition to occasionally winking at my daughter, I also randomly hug her. I blow kisses. I punch her on the shoulder. (Not all at once mind you or within a short time frame, just variations on a theme. And she does the same back to me.)

Quote:
When someone winks at their child, on a stage, to somehow offer support??? Do they not fear their child's confidence in said situation? Have they not considered the potential anxiety in their child's mind?

That was my adult friend, not my child. She was a bit nervous, yes. She visibly relaxed after I winked at her and later thanked me for the small gesture, saying it had helped.

Quote:
The "Uncertainty factor" (doubt) is present in all.

No, not really. The communication was quite clear in all of my cited instances.

Quote:
Don't even get me started on "incoherent whistling" that'll blow your minds away.

I kind of doubt that. Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:28 am
Luckily, I have never mastered the whistle.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
If I had only known. Years ago a very pretty blonde engineer at the office winked at me. I didn't know what to make of it. If I had known she was flirting with me I would have been bolder. I was scared of her because she was so pretty and close to my boss.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@mark noble,
Found this, from a while ago on the thread:

mark noble wrote:

Hi Guys,
I've been to bed and done a day's work since I posted this. Why are some of you so condescending?
Allow me to lead you in the right direction... Read the book of proverbs (remove the God attribute, if you so choose) and the answer should slap you in the face.
By the way - we are looking at an intentional 'wink' in this instance, not a foreign-object reaction or a restricted blink.
Best wishes.
Mark...

(Emphasis mine.)

An "intentional wink" is not an eye-twitch.
mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:35 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Hi PQ,
Fair comment. But I'm not english - english speaking, yes - but not english. As far as the philosophy angle goes, I also agree. I did want to direct this to the old forummers, we used to have an open discussion area there (any topics). I find it difficult communicating with such a dramatic audience, as is here. And am a little sorry to have wandered from my respective flock. But, it appears the flock is so divided now, an exodus is pending, anyway.

Squinney informs me I should have referred to my "Wink" as an "eye-twitch" and, had I known of this "americanism" I would have.
Thank you for your constructive criticism PQ. Have a lovely day.
Mark...
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:38 am
@mark noble,
I would think a dramatic audience would be the only type to receive you well...

where is the flock headed?

and have a lovely day, of course...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:40 am
@mark noble,
Don't let all this bother you. Just put your two cents and take from there. There will always be arguments. My greatest concern are the right wingers trying to dominate the media with their distorted message and bring chaos everywhere e.g. election of GWB.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:41 am
@sozobe,
Hi Sozobe,
Of course it's intentional, from the subliminal angle. I said that so as not to incur any more wrath from those who found they had winked accidentally because of a foreign object in their eye or something. What act can the body perform that isn't intentional?
Thank you, and have a good day.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@mark noble,
Right.

So you will every heartbeat? When you're sleeping, how do you manage to stay alive?

Hopeless. Smile

Carry on, have a fantabulous day, et cetera, et cetera.
mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:52 am
@mark noble,
Hi All,
Now it appears I have confounded the issue further with my interpretations of intentional and deliberate.
Please ignore me in the future, I am from wales and we are all mad here.
Otherwise - have a fantastic day, and thoroughly avoid "winking eye-twitching, deliberate, intentional" non-sensical threads in the future, or not, as you wish.

Right - THE "GRIMACE"??? Any opinions on the deep meaning hidden behind this trait?

All your replies are gratefully appreciated... and I will divulge the TRUE NATURE of - at the end of this thread.

Have a brilliant day.
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:55 am
@sozobe,
Hi Sozobe,
The heartbeat is regulated by the actions of the "Progressive memory", Responsible for all automotive characteristics.
You probably already now this.
Best wishes.
Mark...
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:26 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
It is the same method of deduction that Glenn Beck entertains his audience with to generate ratings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:39 pm
The Grimace???

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/jogrimace/
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 01:00 pm
@squinney,
Now, the grimace sounds like it's worth talking about. Not here, of course.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:10 am
@mark noble,
Yes, I asked about the 2nd part or Prov:10:10.
Your answer was just what I was considering. It is the simplest interpretation. Rebuke the winker.

Chai: You had no sense to say this (paraphrase you)-thread is a waste of time, it should not exist.-(end paraphrase)
You started a nonsense thread just to get a thread that was "popular" and insisted people post anything so your thread will look to be popular. That thread was the most non-sensible wasted thread I ever came upon.

Quote:
Mark posted
like others, pursue what is of no interest to you, in the first place?

A: When a poster gets off topic then it draws the attention of others who agree and the thread is hijacked.

Quote:
Mark and quote. This thread should have been in the philosophy section, for like-minded individuals to query, but no! All normality has been disrupted by this change of forums.

A: Normality is what input you got in this thread, off topic answers,answers not relevant to thread.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:08 pm
@dyslexia,
Hi Dys!

What's a poodle-skirt.

Thank you, and have a terrific day.
Mark...
0 Replies