THE "WINK" WHAT DOES IT IMPLY???

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I missed the nutella thing, being in absentia then, or maybe it was before I got to abuzz, or maybe I hadn't caught on to the site yet, but of course I can make an elaborate thread on it in my mind - I do remember the joking; and, I remember the bavk, which gains a certain majesty over time.

Wink has potential. As an emoticon shunner except when I use them, I'd be interested in what most emoticon users take it as.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
(where is my underwire now?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Mark, not to leave you out - sometimes some words gain a cache past the obvious possibilities re the dictionary, and become loved words.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:25 pm
Who could forget "buhgina"?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:30 pm
@chai2,
I could.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:35 pm
@mark noble,
Erm...what makes you think you have "the answer" and that there is one answer?

All this "if you get it right" stuff seems ridiculous, frankly, to me.

Do you claim omniscience?

There is a whole research endeavour into human expressions, and I doubt anyone would be so foolish as to think they "know" what a wink means....as Soz said ages ago, what a wink means is a context (and probably a cultural) thing.

It seems likely there is some sort of cultural divide between the two forums that means a number of original A2kers find this sort of thread quite repellent and lots of previous PF people don't?

But your claim to absolute knowledge here I find hubristic and astonishing.

Or is this some sort of established game on PF?

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:44 pm
@chai2,
Wizard of Oz.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I just love 'chasm'.
dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
I assure you this is not going to end stupidly.

I wouldnt bet on that just yet.

Ever hear of a browneye?

or browneye with wink, which is well known to many young Australian men.
Now i wonder what the reason for that kind of a wink is?
chai2

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Erm...what makes you thing you have "the answer" and that there is one answer?

All this "if you get it right" stuff.

It seems ridiculous, frankly, to me.

Do you claim omniscience?

OMG, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's strarting to feel this way.....despite what the tags on this thread indicate, I know I'm not alone in my puzzlement.

philly's, dig this...

let's say dlowan put a challenge, or a riddle, or whatever you what to call in, in a thread.
If someone said "WTF are you going on about Mexicans for?" Not knowing (I didn't until I just looked up some Oz slang) that apparantly means someone from South of Queensland.

Instead of a simple explanation, she goes on for several posts about "keep digging", and not really being friendly or helpful.

****, you're never going to tell us what this wink thing is all about, and at this point, who cares?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
@roger,
Well, that's interesting, do you want to tell me about it?
chai2

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Quote:

Hey, these socks are great! Black ones, how did you know I needed black socks?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, the person who was condescending to me, that I didn't answer, was my friend, Wandel, although he didn't mean it that way. Something about how to let go and listen. I admire Wandel.

I suspect that condescension - or taking stuff as condescension - is part of the raised hairs among us, from varied sides.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
It's just that when you say Kazam, it sounds like some neat kind of Arabic name.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:13 pm
@roger,
When did I say that, pinpoint the time, you you..

Well, relaxing, I like the present mix.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
Urban dictionary

WINK
A term used to describe a white person who is enamored with east Asian culture; especially Japanese animation. Taken with the slur "chink" and substituting the "ch" with a "w". Similar to the wigger in its origin.

WINK
a game played by UUs that was made up by Quakers. This game consists of wrestling, tackling, kicking, cuddling, screaming and climbing over people on a mountain of pillows and sleeping bags. the game ends with a kiss. The game can become very violent, so its required to take out all jewelry and to know when to scream for help. This is the best game in the world

WINK
when a skirt wearing girl quickly crosses her legs and gives a quick upskirt

WINK
A superlad with a megapenis

WINK
Word which may be used to describe the anus.

There are other definitions available
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wink&page=2
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:19 pm
@dadpad,
Wink is one of my favourite mixers for gin. mmmm gin and Wink

so refreshing on a hot summer night
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:23 pm
Here's someone who appears to have given some deep thought about the origins of the wink, surveyed friends about it and then blogged what he learned about it:

http://www.howardism.org/thoughts/001450.html

And here's someone's response on yahoo to a similar question about four years ago:

Winking, how delightful of a gesture! I guess it is an innocent little gesture of seeking intimacy with someone else.

I have something in my eye. (I am physically vulnerable right now.)

I want to blink but I need to see what is going on at all times. (I don't trust you with both eyes closed.)

I just told a joke and now you are in on it...a sly wink in the presence of other people. (I trust you with secret information.)

I'm just kidding about what I just said. (I want you to know that I am not revealing my true feelings.)

I am flirting with you. (I want to get closer to you.)

I guess subconsciously when one eye is closed, it is a simultaneous awareness of something outside and inside. And also when one eye is closed, it means a bit of trust is needed from the other person that they will see what you don't while they aren't looking around.
dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:27 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Quote:

Ever hear of a browneye?

or browneye with wink, which is well known to many young Australian men.
Now i wonder what the reason for that kind of a wink is?

The meaning of that one is ALWAYS reasonably clear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:28 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
If someone said "WTF are you going on about Mexicans for?" Not knowing (I didn't until I just looked up some Oz slang) that apparantly means someone from South of Queensland.

It DOES???

Never heard that one before.