THE "WINK" WHAT DOES IT IMPLY???

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:10 am
@Philis,
Hi Philis,
Thank you for joining. You are barking up the right tree here. In this case the "Louse" had only one intent! You are aware of that intent, but had you initially analysed the "wink" intention of said (i presume) 'lad', you'd have avoided the onset of - What you, in hindsight, appear to regret.
Again I thank you for your considered opinion on this. Have a splendid day, Philis.
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:17 am
@mismi,
Hi Mismi,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "One man's beauty is another man's ugly. Aesthetics are the virtue of an empty soul. A few principle quotes that I find relevant here.
Thank you for the "friends" clip, Probably the best written and performed sitcom in history.
Have a lovely day, Mismi.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:20 am
@dadpad,
Hi Dadpad,
Love the kangaroo avatar, by the way.
Thank you for participating.
Have a fantastic day.
Mark...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:34 am
Okay, Mark. What do you consider a short thread? Cause, a few days have passed now and I still don't see an answer. Maybe I'm dense.

FYI, Setanta is a male, ... just so you don't have to keep doing the he/she thing.

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:53 am
@squinney,
Hi Sqinney,
Nice to meet you.
What do I consider a short thread? A thread that is short! what else? Why do you propose such a question?
I don't really care what sex or breed the ginger dog is, it is a rude ginger dog with high blood pressure and anger problems. Why don't people just use their real names, anyway? New thread - I'll ask...
Have a great day Squinney.
Mark...
Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:11 am
@mark noble,
I have neither high blood pressure, nor problems with anger. You're projecting. What i have a problem with is bullshit, and people who practice deceit--people like you.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@Setanta,
I was glad when Soz mentioned the preciousness.

I am having a problem with the preciousness ratio.

Looking forward to it dying down.
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:45 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta.
"One man's deceitful is another man's honest". What is it that you find deceitful, anyway.?
Thank you, Setanta.
Mark...
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

The "wink". Have you ever given or received one?

Have you ever bothered to analyse what it is a "wink is suggesting -

A) TO The receiver?
B) OF The sender?

I will divulge the Nature of the "Wink" at the end of this thread, unless you guys happen to hit the nail on the head beforehand.

All of your replies are gratefully received
Thank you All, and have a terrific day.
Mark...

I think the "wink" is used for 1 of two reasons.

1) As a more or less friendly gesture to indicate in-group membership. A bit like an "in-joke".

2) A debating technique whereby the poster wishes to indicate to the recipient that the poster knows something the recipient doesn't, but ought to.

If I'm honest, I would have to admit that I have occasionally it for 2) as well as 1). I admit this fact somewhat reticently as it is a bit of a cheap debating tactic since it adds nothing of substance to a debate, but rather relies on an appeal to authority.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
@mark noble,
Mark, I am pretty damn sure there is no deep philosophical or religious reason that people use 'the wink'.
I think Steve was pretty accurate in what he said above...

What I want to know, is:
If there is a 'deeper' meaning of the wink connected to social/religious elements, then does this account for ALL uses of the wink, whether the user is aware of that 'deeper' meaning or not?
There are a lot of winks that have been used on A2K- is this meaning pertinent to all of them?

I'm inclined to think, you're more interested in creating 'knowledge' through thrusting some kind of quasi-philosophical interpretation onto an otherwise banal and everyday concept (so you can unveil it to us painfully through a six page thread?) than identifying meanings that are actually applicable to a certain concept...

Also I want to know what you love so much about A Lyn's posts.
I think the suggestions that the 'wink proves the existence of the soul' was quite obviously rubbish. Anyone can interpret anything to mean anything if you're going to those extents... I'm pretty sure that by treating it as a metaphor you could relate it in some manner to many parts of the bible or koran or rig veda in order to transform it into something more revelatory.
Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:43 pm
wink = ping
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:53 pm
@Eorl,
I have sometimes seen a wink emoticon used as a poke to me, when the winker meant it as reassuring - I surmise. I take it that they still like me ok even though I have been stupid in this one instance. This usually irritates me, not least since they/he/she are often right.
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:55 pm
@stevecook172001,
Hi Steve,
Very honest of you, using your own name too, I might add. Well done.
I am not using any debating tactics - There is an underlying reason for the intentional transference of hidden information through the medium of a "Wink".
If the "wink" is habitual, it doesn't count. Someone who goes around just winking because they have picked it up and can't not wink at people is not a good model for this and need be illiminated from this topic. (Just in case)!
At all levels - Where a "wink" is applied there is a degree of "uncertainty" in its application, from sender perspective. The untrained eye of a receiver reads only, whatever hidden information they perceive in relation to the circumstances prevailing. Why so much fuss over a silly question - heaven only knows...
Thank you for your replies steve, have a fantastic day, sir.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@mark noble,
So, was that the long-awaited Correct Answer?

(Nice post, PQ.)
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Osso,
Where's your dog avatar gone?
xxx
Mark...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
It was several pages back, something about the prophets and a sentence or two about evil. I may be wrong, that might not have been what the sentences were about, since I didn't read them.

On the thread title, next time I would suggest, What Can It Imply?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:02 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Great response, Pentacle Queen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:03 pm
@mark noble,
I thought I'd show up as myself, a reassuring old broad or a specter of evil or a mad quipper. We all have faces, that's mine, a few years ago, photo taken by the evil broad who has been accruing zeros, Mame. (She is quite a woman, I recommend getting to appreciate her.)
Pacco is, meantime, tucked into his avatar crate.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Hi PQ,
On the religious divide, it appears to be on par with the "evil-eye". "He who winketh hateth" and all that, probably because it can infer suspicion into the mind of the observer when delivered without tended reason. When I last winked (about 5 years ago) it was purely a subliminal reaction to someone I seriously mistrusted. I have been winked at since only by those who appear to be vulnerable through their own imaginings, they also wink in the presence of others they feel uncomfortable with. Once their imaginings are reassured it goes away. So there is definitely an uncomfortability/uncertainty factor involved.

What I like about A lyn's posts is the manner in which she deduces, it is very much like my own. She has hit the nail on the head by deduction, not demanding an immediate reply, or throwing abuse, insulting me, etc.

When next you are winked at, question it quietly to yourself - What is being hidden?

Nice to meet you PQ, have a brilliant day.
Mark...
squinney

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
@mark noble,
If I'm reading you correctly, then, what you are refering to as a wink is more of a twitch. A twitch of the eye is something I would see as an unconscience, uncontrolable revelation from the sender that they themselves do not believe what they are saying OR that they have contempt for the person they are currently viewing, which is how I read the bible verse you referenced.

You are discussing the unintentual, rather than purposeful movement of the eye lid or orbital area, right? If so, I didn't think that meaning was any big mystery.