Did South Carolina really nominate this guy?!?

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
So, some unknown guy, Alan Greene, who lives in his father's basement, defeated a rather well known politician in the state of South Carolina's Democratic primary for a U.S. Senate seat. It is South Carolina, so incumbent Republican Senator Jim DeMint will likely trounce whoever he faces. Now it would not be much of an issue if the Greene had half a clue. But Greene comes across as potentially mentally challenged.

Anyway, I will let John Stuart explain. Much more entertaining than my writing.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-14-2010/alvin-greene-wins-south-carolina-primary

So did this guy legitimately win this race? Is the alphabet to blame? Should there be any qualifications on who can run for offices? How in the world did this guy find himself winning any election? Are South Carolina citizens this stupid? Why did you do it South Carolina--any comment?

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:41 pm
@Theaetetus,
An ignorant populace deserves exactly what it gets for a government. 100,000+ people voted for him, mostly because his name was first on the ballot. To bad his last name doesn't begin with A, B, or C. Maybe he'd defeat DeMint.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:50 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Why did you do it South Carolina--any comment?

Here's why one voter did it:

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:14 pm
@Theaetetus,
Quote:

So did this guy legitimately win this race? Is the alphabet to blame? Should there be any qualifications on who can run for offices? How in the world did this guy find himself winning any election? Are South Carolina citizens this stupid? Why did you do it South Carolina--any comment?

I think we've been here before, on the national level. Same questions, same degree of astonishment. And he was not just nominated, he was elected.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
this guys great, we need more politicians like him
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
Breaking: Sharron Angle has legally changed her name to Heidi Klum(e)!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:23 pm
@djjd62,
Did you watch the Jon Stewart link in the first post? Hilarious!!! You have GOT to watch it lol.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:26 am
@Irishk,
I thought Stewart was hilarious as well.

I think Greene's success here is due to the anti-incumbent backlash. Guess what? That backlash will yield a great many Greenes . . . and worse.

The videos I have seen of Greene do not inspire confidence. He does not look like a mentally stable fellow.

Below viewing threshold (view)
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:35 am
@H2O MAN,
Mr. Greene has a BA in Political Science from the University of South Carolina.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:34 am
Stewart is great.

I think this is how we ended up with George W. Bush. He was in my area campaigning very early in primaries and out of curiosity I went to the free BBQ event that was being sponsored by the local business group I'm a member of. I watched him stutter and spit political homilies at the crowd and he even scratch his crotch at one point. Everyone politely applauded at the end, but they didn't seem to really take interest in anything he said or did and mostly focused on the free beer and ribs. I remember thinking what an awkward, doofus of a candidate, no one who pays attention to politics is going to vote for him . I believe, as in the case of Mr. Greene, they just pulled a lever for a familiar name. Maybe the fact that his last name started with a "B" was also a plus. I think most people are guilty of just not paying attention and that's how idiots and crooks get elected- and no party is exempt.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:39 pm
@Green Witch,
The image of bush scratching his crotch is wonderful. I remember the Repubs selling him hard. "This is a guy you want to lean over the back fence and talk to. . . This is a guy whose lawn mower you would want to borrow. "

Wow! So just because someone generously loans out his mower, he should be president? Great qualifications!

Generally, I cross the street if someone like bush is walking on the same side.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I think this is how we ended up with George W. Bush.

Quote:
More like how we ended up with PrezBO.

I think this kind of retort sorta lost its oomph after grade 3 or 4, h20man.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
Thus, the problem with democracy...
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:17 pm
@plainoldme,
The guy that Greene defeated was not a current incumbent--Jim DeMint is--but rather was elected four times to the U.S. Congress in the eighties and serves on the city board of Charleston, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@H2O MAN,
What sort of people like Obama? Black people? If he were white, would you be as stupidly hateful?
Pangloss

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's nice. I don't like democrats or republicans, bush or obama, so your comments won't exactly get my blood boiling.
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
I am not much of a fan of Obama. But I am less of a fan of just about everyone else. Seriously, though, the country was screwed up through increasingly bad policies during and after the 1980s, and it continues on through today. Saying Obama is responsible for what is wrong with the country today is like blaming the CEO of British Petroleum for causing an oil spill. These people are little more than faces and soothsayers for the entities that they represent. They say little more than people want to hear.

But of course, you are free to be as stupidly ignorant as you choose. Truthiness reigns. Because this is America, and in America, we believe what we hear and do what we are told, and because we can't think, we are left to think with our gut.