DavJohanis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 11:06 am
@mark noble,
Freedom then is the absence of awareness of ones own life.. That statement is filthy.. Your agenda is tainted either by what you do not comprehend or by your attempt to flout it.

If you do not see, I apolagise but urge you listen.
0 Replies

Stoneageripper

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:02 pm
@mark noble,
The absence of nothing is nothing, so it has never existed.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 04:33 pm
@Stoneageripper,
Well said mate...

If you are interested, check back about 3 pages ago, to see the quotes I posted, from the video I posted...
imans

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:18 pm
@Stoneageripper,
Stoneageripper wrote:

The absence of nothing is nothing, so it has never existed.

no nothing absence is everything reality one, so negatively nothing exist for sure always, there cant ever b only one reality of everything

what is crazy is how far u cant mean to see but urself eyes, it is amazin how u cant but turn around u all ways

that is why for u absence of nothing is what u would see if nothing is meant away, there is still for u nothing since u didnt mean smthg to see
and u conclude that it never exist bc the reference of existence for u is u, so what u cant see a relation with urself existence u would conclude that it doesnt exist
who told u that u exist ????

nothing is simply no thing
while existence is the source of things stable forms resourced
existence is not the thing but the thing source always
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
INSIDE our own universe nothing does not exist, with the exception perhaps of the centres of black holes (but are they inside our universe anyway?), as light needs a medium to pass through to reach us, but OUTSIDE our universe ANYTHING or indeed nothing can be possible.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 03:58 pm
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:

INSIDE our own universe nothing does not exist, with the exception perhaps of the centres of black holes (but are they inside our universe anyway?), as light needs a medium to pass through to reach us, but OUTSIDE our universe ANYTHING or indeed nothing can be possible.

Isn't a contradiction in terms that you can make such assessment precisely from inside our Universe where nothing can't exist ? More how can you claim what X is or is not if you can't have any experience of X itself ? And even if you could how could that be regarded as nothing ?
...hmm, you haven't really though this through very well have you ?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:03 pm
@Berty McJock,
If there is not nothing inside our own universe....If there are parallel...Or oscillating universes...or anything else...Why would there be nothing in them?

If something must exist to do something....And nothing can only do nothing...

Why would there be nothing in another universe?

And black holes, And a universe without light is not nothing...

Nothing is only nothing....And can only do nothing...

As in nothing exists....Or nothing is happening...

As in nothing there...

If there are other universes, then there is something...And not nothing...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
If you are interested, check back about 3 pages ago, to see the quotes I posted, from the video I posted...

Will you re post this video if you think it is relevant? and i will try to comment on it.
Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
no i have thought it through.

in order for the light from distant stars and galaxies to reach us through the vacum of space it needs to travel through something, logically it cant travel through nothing, nobody knows what is outside our universe and maths cannot describe it yet, so anything or nothing COULD exist. i never claimed to know what.
as for my "claim to know what x is or not", well...nothing is nothing, not a single atom, or particle, or vaccum, no time, no space, no anything. if you can imagine it, its not nothing. in nothing not even existence can exist....unless its definition has changed. its up to science to prove its (non?)existence or otherwise beyond our universe. i cant imagine nothing as i have never experienced it. the problem you present is you are thinking of something when you describe nothing... you say " And even if you could how could that be regarded as nothing ?" the fact it can be regarded as anything means it is something and therefore NOT nothing.

key point. outside our universe, i only ever said COULD or CAN...not is, was or will be. literally anything and nothing are possibilities.

enlighten me how nothing can exist IN our universe when even a vaccum is something, and what makes you so much better at knowing whats beyond it, if indeed anything at all is.

not really thought it through vey well have you :p

your move.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:59 pm
@Berty McJock,
I find it absolutely amazing that you folks are talking about "nothing" while discussing the subject on your computers, thinking what you're going to say, and respond. LOL Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 2 Cents
Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:00 pm
my own opinion, and it is just an opinion, is that outisde our universe SOMETHING exists, as the singularity had to be somewhere to explode into the big bang.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
hang on a minute....so we cant discuss something (or nothing) because we have computers?? how does that work?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:20 pm
@Berty McJock,
You're missing the point.
Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:34 pm
as an early greek philosopher (i forget which, and using wiki to back up claims is lazy and prone to error, so i'll just stick with plain lazy for now and leave him anonymous...save to say he influenced aristotle) once said "to speak of nothing, you have to speak of something". in other words we cannot imagine nothing. this makes discussing its existence significantly harder.

it also shows there is more than one way of approaching this sort of question. from a scientific point of view, backing it up with known facts about our universe, or from a philosophical point of view, where we try to understand the meaning of nothing.
for one to question the validity of the other is to completely misunderstand the concept of either or both.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
yep, i'll be honest. i have no idea what you were trying to imply lol :p
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Will you re post this video if you think it is relevant? and i will try to comment on it.

You have already seen it mate...It is the one with Robert J. Spitzer...But I will post it again if you would like me too?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:44 am
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:

no i have thought it through.

in order for the light from distant stars and galaxies to reach us through the vacum of space it needs to travel through something, logically it cant travel through nothing, nobody knows what is outside our universe and maths cannot describe it yet, so anything or nothing COULD exist. i never claimed to know what.
as for my "claim to know what x is or not", well...nothing is nothing, not a single atom, or particle, or vaccum, no time, no space, no anything. if you can imagine it, its not nothing. in nothing not even existence can exist....unless its definition has changed. its up to science to prove its (non?)existence or otherwise beyond our universe. i cant imagine nothing as i have never experienced it. the problem you present is you are thinking of something when you describe nothing... you say " And even if you could how could that be regarded as nothing ?" the fact it can be regarded as anything means it is something and therefore NOT nothing.

key point. outside our universe, i only ever said COULD or CAN...not is, was or will be. literally anything and nothing are possibilities.

enlighten me how nothing can exist IN our universe when even a vaccum is something, and what makes you so much better at knowing whats beyond it, if indeed anything at all is.

not really thought it through vey well have you :p

your move.

No, my point was Berty that nothing does not exist neither in nor outside of our Universe, I was just addressing the inner consistency of your own argument... Nothing is a self contradicting term and the vacuum as a medium is not nothing. Nothing as the very word clarifies is nothing per se...
There is no nothing !
Berty McJock

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:21 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
yep thats exactly what i've been saying...except that outside our universe we know nothing about, therefore it is possible, however slight that chance is, that there is nothing, or to put it another way, there isn't anything. the problem is we cant express or imagine that. but to clarify, if our universe is expanding, i agree, and logic dictates, it must be expanding into something, however we are a long way from proving what (if anything) we are expanding into.

i understand what you are saying, but how can you be so sure nothing cannot exist outside our universe, when the laws of physics there could be completely alien (no pun intended) to what we know in our universe? anything, or indeed nothing, is perfectly possible.
Berty McJock

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:52 am
leaving aside the concept of nothing for a second, even the word throws up inconsistencies, as fil rightly pointed out.
e.g. it tries to quantify a lack of anything, and needs to invoke something to inform you of the lack of it.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:13 am
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:

yep thats exactly what i've been saying...except that outside our universe we know nothing about, therefore it is possible, however slight that chance is, that there is nothing, or to put it another way, there isn't anything. the problem is we cant express or imagine that. but to clarify, if our universe is expanding, i agree, and logic dictates, it must be expanding into something, however we are a long way from proving what (if anything) we are expanding into.

i understand what you are saying, but how can you be so sure nothing cannot exist outside our universe, when the laws of physics there could be completely alien (no pun intended) to what we know in our universe? anything, or indeed nothing, is perfectly possible.

Note that what I am saying is, that Nothing does not exist anywhere per se, and not, that outside of the Universe there is some X or some Y, which might or might not...
0 Replies