Platonic Peter

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:07 pm
@mark noble,
mmmm! The moment you mention the name nothing, you introduce the tendency of presence or being. Whatever has a name, either perceved in the mind or seen physically but it respects the four metaphysical principals of, No vacuum, Non-contradiction, Causality and the principle of change, it obviously exists.
xrisxs

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:06 am
@Ionus,
there is nothing to talk about. Can you do anything about you being born? There is nothing you can do about it. Can you change yesterday, no. Is yesterday here, no. Is tommorow here, no? There has to be an act of nothing. If I am not do a thing then one could say I am doing nothing. Can you stay up for 30 days straight? probably not because nothing has to do its part on your something sooner or later. If a blackhole swallows up everything, and I would bet even time then there has to be a moment of nothingness. A blackhole to me is the void to where we came from and where we are going. If I die tonight there is NOTHING i can do after the fact. you maybe, the dirt energy, but I cannot do a thing. I mean what is your shadow if not proof of your somethiness. if ones need proof of their something then in fact they are attempting to not be nothing. I assure you nothing gives something a reflection to know it exists. nothing does not exist until something devides nothing two ways. like a circle on a piece of paper. if you draw a line on a paper the nothing all around it has no meaning. when you draw a circle notice one thing. the nothing on the inside of something has not only form but your focus as well. also nothing is trapped on bothsides of this circle. when we expand and all the nothing from the ouside goes to the middle only beeing sucked in by our inflation, then at some point our circle will max out only to crumble and push nothing all to the outside again leaving something with nothing inside. nothing defines something, if not, then I guess i will live forever..
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:48 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
DOES NOTHING EXIST???

In your opinion - does nothing exist, has it ever existed, can it ever exist?

You're committing the fallacy of reification. The term "nothing" refers to an abstract concept. To say "nothing exists" is not to say there is a thing called "nothing" which exists. To say "nothing exists" is to say there is an absence of all things that exist.

Here's a bad joke: A man walks into a bar and the bartender asks what he will have. The man says "nothing" and the bartender asks why. The man replies "because nothing is better than a strong drink".

This terrible joke rests on the same fallacy that you're committing. The man has taken the expression to mean that "nothing" is a thing which is better than a strong drink. He's mistaken though because it should be taken to mean that there is not a thing which is better than a strong drink.
0 Replies

Thales

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:31 pm
@mark noble,
It is relative !!!

If it is part of a Value scale , then nothing exist as value compared to othe values.

In Physics , nothing is an unatainable state.

I cannot be proven because an observer cannot
investigate the state of nothing.
0 Replies

JPhil

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:15 pm
@mark noble,
No! nothing doesn't exist. Oh, wait it is an idea and ideas exist. Well ideas exist because they can come into physical being. But light exist and I can't touch the light, wind exist but I can't touch the wind. So it doesn't have to be touched to exist. Yet! I can see the light so it exist, but I can't see the wind. So...hmm..Well if it effects out lives it exist, but santa claus and the lucky charm guy effects my life but they don't exist, only the idea. Well, sigh, I guess, the idea of nothing exist but proving nothing exist is hard. Because if it is able to be seen or touched then it's something. Well I've got nothing.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 11:59 pm
@JPhil,
...the idea that something may be absent is quite different from the idea that everything its absent, and although the latter is an extrapolation of the former, such extrapolation is merely a symbolic abstraction, very much in danger of getting more the asked for, by means of wanting less...at this light the use of the term "nothing" must be taken in relative terms...normally we use to negate any of the present variables in an argument, which in reality is far different from negating all there is...that would negate even the necessity for a word or a symbolic representation of absolute emptiness given there would be nothing to relate any meaning to nor no one to understand it in the first place...bottom line is that ideas refer at least symbolically to "something" by means of representing conceptually the function it serves...in the case the function of "nothing" is relative to all that can be thought off at the moment which does n´t fit any given goal, thus necessarily excluding the one which is thinking from the void, that is, "nothing" as a function refers to the absence of a current value for any potential operator that the subject might come up with, such that there´s a relation of absence circumvented in form by the presence of everything else in relation with the subject which enquires and gets no answer...once "NOTHING" is about the cognitive self aware function of presently lacking functionality in a enquire, instead of an Absolute void, it all "messily" results in a tricky conceptual situation !

That in turn only means an Absolute Void, the so called NOTHING, does n´t exist...Nothing its nothing !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Hopping the extensive above detailed explanation may settle the matter in a definitive way !
0 Replies

JPhil

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Hmm..interesting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
If anything exists, it doesn't exist at the same time: the nature of constant change or flux.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
If anything exists, it doesn't exist at the same time: the nature of constant change or flux.
0 Replies

xrisxs

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 02:27 am
i know a shadow does not have mass but if all the suns in or galaxy shine in any direction then that says to me somewhere in the middle has to be a place that was created by all the energy from all the stars trying to occupy the same place at the same time. Even if the blackhole was a star if it was center i bet it was the oldest. now that blackhole is forever there because we made an answer for all things. now that blackhole is the sum of all things and the power it has is the equivalent to nothing and everything. if you make a circle with say 20 people and then you put flashlights behind you. lets do just you. everyone including you knows who that shadow belongs too. now when all of you do it all the shadows become one and the shape will take to a dark circle. also note i bet it is hard to see in the middle. nothing exist in my opinion because it is a boundary on both sides of me that I made. if i had was on walking on a time line somehow with a zero in the middle and i get to the zero. that zero got bigger every time i got close to it. but when your sitting on it not only did that zero become you but now you can look in any dierection and be the center. as to say that zero is there and can be seen because your looking in the direction that all others did too. you split nothing when you got here. as long as your here you are that center of nothing. im saying that nothing cannot occupy the same space your in because you are the meaning of the two. ok, just thinking about nothing..like usual
0 Replies

ssnietzsche

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:42 am
@A Lyn Fei,
I think this is the best answer yet. I think what sheds some clarification on this issue is to use the definition 'Nothing, does not exist'. As even in a perfect vacuum at the very edge of the universe does not have nothing.
The universe started from somewhere, and expanded. We are able to see via imaging that the universe has stretched outward, thus pressing through nothing. However, even though particles were not present in the 'nothingness', waves and gravity still persisted throughout, thus nothing does not exist.
I dunno whatcha think?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 06:30 pm
@ssnietzsche,
I hope your handle--ssnietzsche--is not implying a connection between the Nazis (SS) and the philosopher Fredrik Nietzsche. If you harbor that error you should read the (Jewish) philosopher scholars Walter Kaufmann and Karl Jaspers and learn how UNanti-semitic Nietzsche was.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 11:36 pm

if any think that nothing exists as still a possibiltiy

then explain how nothing becomes something
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 09:28 am
@north,
north wrote:
explain how nothing becomes something

randomly
great thinker

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:56 am
@Platonic Peter,
John locke says if you make your self free from mind you would feel everything even energy but you will feel them as they are.
Everything exist in its way . Just dont belive any of Idealist words.
@ mark noble
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:50 am
@Night Ripper,
a random miracle I suppose ?...dangerous thinking...(no harm meant)
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

a random miracle I suppose ?...dangerous thinking...(no harm meant)

No miracle. Just randomness.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:49 am
@Night Ripper,
I suppose you forgot randomness is suppose to dwell on something...
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I suppose you forgot randomness is suppose to dwell on something...

Randomness is random. That is all.