Collarbone? Clavical?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:01 am
I assume that "clavicals" have been "clavicals" since the days of the Romans. Still, the Roman Empire fell and the Roman language was replaced by local speech.

Today the "clavical" is known informally as the "collarbone". Common sense tells me that in the Dark Ages and the Middle Ages and the Renaissance that collars were not standard men's wear and Latin was no longer spoken by the hoi polloi.

So when knights toppled from their galloping steeds and peasants were floored (mud-floored) in bar room brawls, what was the name for the broken bone?

Can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,425 • Replies: 35
No top replies

fealola

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:06 am
Well, they didn't have collars on clothing, but they had collars or yokes on animals. And collar-like instruments of torture. Maybe it was still collar bone or yoke bone! Pillory Bone? Noose Bone?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:17 am
Just a guess here , but the root of the word clavicle could either be a KEY or a CLUB, I dont know which but, If itd be me betting, Id go for the "key bone' idea Of course we are dealing with a time that forbade any dissection under pain of loss of your immortal soul.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:07 pm
Noddy, Latin is the base of most medical/sceintific words. I imagine clavicle has always been used, but as for when collar bone come into common usage - I haven't been able to find that out yet.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:58 pm
I think it's club shaped, though as I haven't seen one, it's difficult to say... and the -cle ending would imply it's a little one
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:02 pm
Earliest ref to collar= something worn about the nexk, is 1300. Collar-bone 16th century, first recorded use.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:31 pm
Quote from M-W online:
Quote:
Main Entry: clav·i·cle
Pronunciation: 'kla-vi-k&l
Function: noun
Etymology: French clavicule, from New Latin clavicula, from Latin, diminutive of Latin clavis; akin to Greek kleid-, kleis key, kleiein to close
Date: 1615
: a bone of the vertebrate pectoral girdle typically serving to link the scapula and sternum -- called also collarbone

So maybe it's not the collar itself, but the link between the sternum (breastbone) and scapula (shoulder) that gives it its name... And it's only been the clavicle since 1615... Maybe the OED can go farther back using collarbone, or the French clavicule noted above, but I don't have access...
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:35 pm
I imagine that in the middle ages most people that had a broken clavicle had no idea what was causing the pain. I doubt the average Joe understood there was a bone there.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
I think in the Middle Ages they were pretty much aware of where the bones were and such -- the average Joe worked with animals, if nothing else, and knew enough about humans to understand that they had similar internal structure. Healers since prehistoric times have set bones.

Now, understanding circulation of the blood, respiration, the function of the liver, etc., were far in the future.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:12 pm
Galen of Perganum (born AD 129, , Pergamum, Mysia, Anatolia [now Bergama, Tur.]
died c. 216 ) was one of the first, who named some parts of the human body - and as a continuation of earlier Hippocratic conceptions, Galenic physiology became a powerful influence in medicine for the next 1,400 years.

Most parts of the human body have been named the same since about that early time. During the Middle Ages Mostly students of medicine just looked for those parts described by Galen (which were mostly those of animals [dogs]), but by the end of the Middle Ages some of his ideas had been corrected.

Many functions - opposite to what Wy says - were known already before the Middle Ages.

History of medecine
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:18 pm
Well, not the circulation of blood, unless Wm. Harvey didn't describe it first...

Or is it that a number of things which were known in ancient times were forgotten in the Dark Ages and had to be rediscovered in the Rennaisance/Middle Ages (that sounds more logical).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 04:26 am
Thanks, all. I'm delighted if not enlightened.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:09 am
OED records clavicle's first use as 1615, and its reason - because they look like ancient bolts used to lock doors. In birds, the bones are united into the furculum or merrythought - now there's a thought for a merry morning!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:03 am
Clary--

"Merrythought" is also a cheerful, positive dialect term for "bastard".
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:25 am
Is that so!!? Sounds too good to be true. Merry lack of thought I would say... Where did that bit of knowledge come from?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:34 pm
Clary--

I probably picked up the "merrythought/bastard" concept from a historical novel. I know it is English and I think perhaps southestern England, but "perhaps" can't be footnoted.

I do know for sure and for certain that in farming communities before modern medicine that bastards were not necessarily regarded purely as a social calamity. All hands were valuable.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:49 pm
Didja know that "Fitz" means the same thing? Jack Jones and Joe FitzJones are half brothers, but Mr. Jones is only married to Jack's mom...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 02:53 am
The Irish gays, Patrick Fitzjohn and John Fitzpatrick. It comes from 'fils' of course you all knew.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:02 am
Wy--

By my research (more historical novels than anywhere else) "Fitz" was more common among the Stuarts and the Hanovers than the lowly Jones family.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:53 am
"Fitz", as used in England, often indicates illegitimacy.

[In Scotland and Ireland "Mac" or "Mc" means "son of", and families which had settled in Ireland soon after the Norman Conquest have a surname beginning with "Fitz" (from the French "fils", for "son"). ]
0 Replies