Pls (sic)

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:14 am
In a newspaper report, I saw the following sentence. A church elder was quoted as having written, "Pls (sic) maintain your faith till the last day of your life."

I believe the reporter thought the short form of 'Please' is 'Pl". By putting 'sic' beside 'Pls', I believe he is suggesting that the church elder has made a mistake.

Could somebody let me know if I am correct?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 891 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:21 am
@tanguatlay,
Close, I think he is saying it should be "Please" not "Pl".
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:24 am
@tanguatlay,
The reporter was indicating that the church elder wrote pls for the word please. The (sic) indicates that the reporter is writing what the church elder actually wrote.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:09 am
Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "in such a manner".

It is used when writing quoted material to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation or meaning in the quote has been reproduced verbatim from the original and is not a transcription error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:35 am
@tanguatlay,
Duplicate post
William

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:38 am
@William,
William wrote:

tanguatlay wrote:

In a newspaper report, I saw the following sentence. A church elder was quoted as having written, "Pls (sic) maintain your faith till the last day of your life."

I believe the reporter thought the short form of 'Please' is 'Pl". By putting 'sic' beside 'Pls', I believe he is suggesting that the church elder has made a mistake.

Could somebody let me know if I am correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Tanguatlay. I think it is good to condense words down to their simplest form. Difficult to realize when we discover so many things and how so very complicated words get in naming so many things. It does make one wonder why such a short word as please would be shortened. That's a very good word just as it is. I think we are looking for the definition of that very first word anyone spoke; ....................aah. Now that's a word I would like to speak often. That is a "wonder filled and satisfying" word, huh!?

William
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:54 pm
'Pls' is a standard abbreviation for 'please'.

0 Replies