Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

The Anointed

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2024 06:43 pm
@EldonG,
Quote:
I'd always been told to find answers in the bible, so I read it. Cover to cover.

What a pity that you never read it with understanding.
steve reid

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 03:18 am
1) Have you ever sought God? - Yes, but only to ascertain the existence of God
2) Why? - It's human nature, I'm inquisitive
3) Did you find what you sought? - No, I concluded there is no definitive answer either way
4) Are you still looking? - Not actively, but I still contemplate the ideas of God, the Bible and Religion from time to time
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? - No
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? - I don't have faith
7) Do you sin? - If God exists then by Gods laws Yes, if breaking the laws of my country is sinning then Yes. Lastly by my own definition of sin, Yes, as I've done many things in life I regret and am ashamed of
8) Do you believe in an afterlife? - No
9) Have you ever had an epiphany? - No
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search? - No
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 03:35 am
@The Anointed,
Do you think that if you were ejected from an airplane at 2,000 feet, you might say a prayer.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 04:27 am
@EldonG,
EldonG wrote:

I was born into a Southern Baptist family (sort of, but very long story) and as a child, I'd figured out that Santa was a myth, but not god, yet. Years later, at 14, I had questions (I'd been doubting since I was 11), and I'd always been told to find answers in the bible, so I read it. Cover to cover. I had an epiphany - it was worse than Santa Claus, by a few orders of magnitude.

I did study other religions, but they weren't significantly better. Nobody has shown me one iota of evidence, so I'm an atheist. Furthermore, I've seen a lot of harm that religion has done, so I am an anti-theist.

What do YOU suppose "...I'm an atheist" means? You didn't explain...you just labelled yourself with that self-descriptor.

As you know, it means different things to different people. So I am wondering what it means to you.
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 04:35 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Do you think that if you were ejected from an airplane at 2,000 feet, you might say a prayer.

In the terror of the moment it would only be natural to scream something. I probably would shout out God help me, but the rational me at this moment knows that my irrational plea to a non existent God wouldn't save me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 05:23 am
@steve reid,
steve reid wrote:

The Anointed wrote:

In the terror of the moment it would only be natural to scream something. I probably would shout out God help me, but the rational me at this moment knows that my irrational plea to a non existent God wouldn't save me.

Are you saying there that no gods exist?

Are you saying that no gods that can hear a prayer exist?

Are you saying that no gods exist that would get involved in something like saving a life?

What are you saying with that comment?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 06:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Trying to cover all the bases except for Agnostic.
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 06:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

steve reid wrote:

The Anointed wrote:

Are you saying there that no gods exist?

Are you saying that no gods that can hear a prayer exist?

Are you saying that no gods exist that would get involved in something like saving a life?

What are you saying with that comment?

My bad, God is non existent to me, should have worded it as

......but the rational me at this moment knows that my irrational plea to a God that I don't believe exists wouldn't save me.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 07:00 am
@steve reid,
" Jesus, Allah, Buddha,--I love you all!"

Homer Simpson
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 08:55 am
@steve reid,
All that says is to reiterate your incomplete belief in there being no supreme being. Your sub-conscience still calls out when your ego can't cover your bet.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2024 05:38 pm
@steve reid,
Quote:
but the rational me at this moment knows that my irrational plea to a non existent God wouldn't save me.

Obviously, the reason that you have found no evidence for a creator God, is because you have never seriously looked. Undoubtedly you can see the intelligent design in the International Space Station, but are totally blind to the wonderful design in the creation of the beautiful butterfly .

Romans 1, 18 – 23; God's anger is revealed from heaven against all the sin and evil of the people whose evil ways prevent the truth from being known. God punishes them, because what can be known about God is plain to them, for God himself made it plain. Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are perceived in the creation itself. So those people have no excuse at all! They know God, but they do not give him the honour that belongs to him, nor do they thank him. Instead, their thoughts have become complete nonsense, and their empty minds are filled with darkness. They say they are wise, but they are fools; instead of worshipping the immortal God, they worship images made to look like mortal human beings etc.

You have seen the creator God my friend, he has made himself manifest in the creation. but if you choose to remain blind to him, then blind you must remain. Catch ya later mate.
Jasper10

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 12:19 am
@The Anointed,
You talk about awareness and unawareness The Anointed.

So you believe that individuals are kept in the dark about stuff via unawareness then? This could be a form of punishment from a God they refuse to accept and have never searched for.I get that as a possibility.

Not a wise thing to reject a God who may exist then is what you appear to be saying no matter what you think about that God.

It does seem crazy to take on a God who may exist.

0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 01:52 am
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
All that says is to reiterate your incomplete belief in there being no supreme being. Your sub-conscience still calls out when your ego can't cover your bet.

That is human nature, I've no control over my sub-conscience

The Anointed wrote:
Catch ya later mate.

I'm afraid not my friend, I won't be in attendance at the eternal mother of all parties, my destiny lies elsewhere

Jasper10 wrote:
Not a wise thing to reject a God who may exist

Not if you want the grand prize of living forever in paradise
The Anointed

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 02:42 am
@steve reid,
Quote:

Well, you only get the two choices mate, eternal life [not in a body of flesh and blood] or eternal death and the choice is yours and yours alone
Jasper10

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 06:46 am
@The Anointed,
Atheists claim that humankind is 100% responsible for all atrocities that have happened or will happen throughout history and if a devil (god) exists then that devil (god) is 100% responsible.

Theists agree with that.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 10:41 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:

Well, you only get the two choices mate, eternal life [not in a body of flesh and blood] or eternal death and the choice is yours and yours alone

Of all the possible punishments these gods can mete out...giving one "eternal life" is the worst. It is any sane person's nightmare.

I would hope I am never punished that way.
vikorr

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 03:27 pm
@Jasper10,
Quote:
Atheists claim that humankind is 100% responsible for all atrocities that have happened or will happen throughout history and if a devil (god) exists then that devil (god) is 100% responsible, but are happy to give credit/blame for good or bad events.

Theists agree with that.
Hmmm...Theists don't agree with either...although they seem a bit confused about whether or not this is the case. They don't need to ask for forgiveness if the devil or god is 100% responsible.

Atheists don't believe it either, because if you ask them, the most common response is 'it wasn't my fault', or along the same lines:
- "throw money at it (ie. someone elses money) to fix it"; or
- "Our contribution can't make a difference, so we shouldn't do it"; or
- "I was just doing as ordered";
- etc

Whether you believe in a God, gods, are agnostic, or atheist, doesn't equall a claim of either moral or intellectual superiority (even if a side claims it). Irrationality is part of human nature, and both 'sides' appear equally delusional....the only question being what are they delusional about.
The Anointed

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 08:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Of all the possible punishments these gods can mete out...giving one "eternal life" is the worst. It is any sane person's nightmare. I would hope I am never punished that way.

Well Frank, this is the way that it is, you are a triad being consisting of Body, Soul, and Spirit. The body, which is created from the universal elements is corruptible and immortal and must return to the elements from which it is created, this is called 'The First Death', which all physical life forms must eventually experience.

While the Spirit is the invisible mind which is YOU, the personality that develops within the body from the senses of the body and is imprinted into the Soul which is the eternal universal divine animating principle.

Behind the veil of the flesh within the innermost sanctuary of that body, dwells the evolving spirit of man and if that body were born without the senses of hearing, sight, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and “YOU” who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the evolving spirit of ‘The Son of Man’ dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality or “CONTROLLING GODHEAD” to that body.

When the body in which you [the mind] are being formed, dies, [This is the first death] and your body of “skin, flesh, muscle, blood, bone, brain matter Etcetera, Etcetera,” has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, all that remains, is a shadow or rather, a facsimile of YOU, the mind or spirit, that has been imprinted into the universal life force or soul, which returns to ‘THE GREAT THOUGHT,’ [The collective consciousness of all that exists] from which it will be resurrected, either to eternal life or eternal death, 'The Second Death,' which is that of the mind and I am sure that once you have experienced the new world and the glory that awaits, you will not see eternal life as a punishment.

But even if your body and mind are both destroyed, your eternal soul will be given a new body of some sort in which a new mind will develop, for it is written ‘All souls are prepared to eternity.'
Jasper10

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 09:25 pm
@vikorr,
I didn’t quote that if you read what I actually posted (4 posts back).

0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 12:27 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:

Not so fast pal, I only get the choice if I have free will, and the jury is still out on that

Re: free will, we have been here before, 4th post up from the last post

https://able2know.org/topic/175951-15

and 2 more posts, 5th down and 9th up from the last post

https://able2know.org/topic/175951-16

I struggle on the question of free will, but I still hold to what I stated on these posts