Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 04:26 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:
The butterfly wasn't created it evolved

And you choose to believe that the beautiful butterfly evolved from the decomposed juices of a dead caterpillar do you Steve, can you prove that?

And if you cannot prove how the butterfly was supposed to have evolved, then as Frank says, you are only guessing my friend, and we know from your own words that you do not choose to believe in evolution without intelligent design, because you have no choice as to whether you believe or disbelieve, do you Steve.

Myself, unlike Frank or you, I do believe that the singularity of origin is made manifest in the universe that the singularity has become and is.

It is he that I call God and who I believe has evolved over the length of his existence which had no beginning and has no end.

You "believe?"

Why do you not be honest and say, "I guess that a GOD exists?"

(Actually, I suspect I know why. I suspect it is because you do not want to acknowledge that when you use the words "believe" and "belief" in a discussion of REALITY context, you want to pretend that "believing" is different from guessing. But it isn't...not truly.")
The Anointed

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 05:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You "believe?"

Yes Frankie baby, I believe.

Quote:

Because if I were to do that, I would be dishonest Frank, because I believe God exists and to believe is to know.

Quote:
(Actually, I suspect I know why.

You have told us time and time again that you know nothing Frank, so why don't you be honest and admit it here.

Quote:
I suspect it is because you do not want to acknowledge that when you use the words "believe" and "belief" in a discussion of REALITY context, you want to pretend that "believing" is different from guessing. But it isn't...not truly.")

If you believe that there is no difference between believing and guessing, then please reveal here and now that you BELIEVE there is no God meaning that you are an atheist.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 05:46 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:
You "believe?"

Yes Frankie baby, I believe.

Okay, so you guess that a GOD exists.

Quote:
Quote:

Because if I were to do that, I would be dishonest Frank, because I believe God exists and to believe is to know.

So you are actually saying that you KNOW a GOD exists.

C'mon. Even you realize that you do not KNOW. That is why you use "believe"...the disguise for "guess."

Quote:
Quote:
(Actually, I suspect I know why.

You have told us time and time again that you know nothing Frank, so why don't you be honest and admit it here.

I have never said I know nothing. I defy you to quote me saying or intimating that...anywhere here or in any other forum in which I participate.

Quote:
Quote:
I suspect it is because you do not want to acknowledge that when you use the words "believe" and "belief" in a discussion of REALITY context, you want to pretend that "believing" is different from guessing. But it isn't...not truly.")

If you believe that there is no difference between believing and guessing, then please reveal here and now that you BELIEVE there is no God meaning that you are an atheist.

I do not "believe" or "guess" that there are no gods...just as I do not "believe" or "guess" that there is at least one god.

So?

steve reid

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 02:15 pm
@The Anointed,
Ah, I see now we have unknowingly been at odds with our definitions of the word 'believe', you stated
The Anointed wrote:
and to believe is to know

I understand and use 'believe' to mean assume, not know

The Anointed wrote:
And you choose to believe that the beautiful butterfly evolved from the decomposed juices of a dead caterpillar do you Steve, can you prove that?

Of course I can't prove it, any more than you can prove that God exists.

The Anointed wrote:
And if you cannot prove how the butterfly was supposed to have evolved, then as Frank says, you are only guessing my friend,

It is either God or Evolution. I can see, taste, touch, smell and observe the butterfly, I can't see, hear, taste, touch, smell or observe God. To me, God only exists as an idea in the mind, the Butterfly is real.

As for guessing, you are guessing that God exists, you stated that you know God exists but when I asked for proof you (and Neal2) gave me vague answers.

The Anointed wrote:
and we know from your own words that you do not choose to believe in evolution without intelligent design, because you have no choice as to whether you believe or disbelieve, do you Steve.

We have the illusion that the world is in colour, the illusion that sound travels from an object to our ears, and the illusion that a Rose smells, I assume you wouldn't argue these. Similarly I believe (believe as in assume, not know) that I have the illusion of free will, a very convincing illusion, but an illusion non the less.

Everything that occurs in the universe is cause and effect, once more I ask, show me where this is not so.
The Anointed

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 04:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not "believe" or "guess" that there are no gods...just as I do not "believe" or "guess" that there is at least one god.

The definition of the word ’GUESS’---------To estimate or conclude (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.

The definition of the word ‘BELIEVE’---------To accept that (something) is true.

Tell me Frankie, do you BELIEVE or do you GUESS that you are going to die?

The Anointed

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 07:29 pm
@steve reid,
Quote:
We have the illusion that the world is in colour, the illusion that sound travels from an object to our ears, and the illusion that a Rose smells, I assume you wouldn't argue these.

Then you assume incorrectly, colour, sound and scent are creations of the brain, which is a creation within a greater creation that is called MAN, a creation that is just too complex for our greatest scientists to even contemplate the wonderful intelligent design by which it was created.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 03:43 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:

The definition of the word ’GUESS’---------To estimate or conclude (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.

The definition of the word ‘BELIEVE’---------To accept that (something) is true.

You seem inordinately upset because I have pointed out that when a person discussing REALITY uses the word "believe"...it truly is just a blind guess in disguise.

Okay. Live with your guesses. They may be correct. But that means they also may be incorrect.

Quote:
Tell me Frankie, do you BELIEVE or do you GUESS that you are going to die?

I AM going to die, and since I am now just a few weeks from age 88...it probably will not be too far into the future.

Tell me: Using base ten, if I asked you what 2 + 2 is...would you answer "I believe it is 4" or would you just say, "4?"

I suspect you would not use the word "believe" in your answer. Too, if I asked you your name, I doubt the word "believe" would enter the answer, because you KNOW your name.

If you KNOW something...very, very seldom would the word "believe" be used in connection with imparting it.

The Anointed

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 05:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I AM going to die, and since I am now just a few weeks from age 88...it probably will not be too far into the future.

So, you BELIEVE that you are going to die.

Quote:
You seem inordinately upset because I have pointed out that when a person discussing REALITY uses the word "believe"...it truly is just a blind guess in disguise.

The REALITY that we are discussing here, is your BELIEF in your imminent death and not your guess, for belief and guess are not the same as you have erroneously stated.

Quote:
Okay. Live with your guesses. They may be correct. But that means they also may be incorrect.

No mate, I will continue to live with my beliefs that I am sure are correct and could never accept them to be untrue.

Is your BELIEF in your future death, true, or is it only a guess.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 06:57 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:

So, you BELIEVE that you are going to die.

I KNOW I am going to die. I just do not know when.

Quote:
Quote:

The REALITY that we are discussing here, is your BELIEF in your imminent death and not your guess, for belief and guess are not the same as you have erroneously stated.

I do not "believe" I am going to die. I KNOW I am going to die.

When discussing REALITY...any "beliefs" are nothing more than guesses...blind guesses at that.

You apparently are not going to get that, but that is your problem, not mine.

Quote:
Quote:

No mate, I will continue to live with my beliefs that I am sure are correct and could never accept them to be untrue.

Yeah, that is why you will not call your guesses...guesses.

Okay, as I said, your guesses may be correct. And they may be nothing more than nonsense.
Quote:

Is your BELIEF in your future death, true, or is it only a guess.

Already answered.

Seems to bother you.

Try to lighten up a bit. Enjoy life a bit.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 08:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
You can believe what you want to believe about belief, but believe me, you wouldn't believe what some people believe about belief, it's beyond belief.
steve reid

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 08:17 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:
......colour, sound and scent are creations of the brain

I'm 100% with you there

Do you believe that Grass is green
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You can believe what you want to believe about belief, but believe me, you wouldn't believe what some people believe about belief, it's beyond belief.

That was beautiful, Izzy. Thanks. I needed a laugh right now. The temp outside is in the 90's...and scheduled to go up to 99 today. (All Fahrenheit, of course.)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 10:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
We've only just got the Summer.

Having said that I'd rather it be wet and miserable than horribly hot.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Somehow our part of Texas has been below the 90F, but with a lot of rain.

I'm thankful and loving it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
None so anointed as the self anointed.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
My strawberries are ready.

They're normally done by now, but I just when out and they've turned red.

Our strawberries are so good, it's one of the few things that grows really well here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We've only just got the Summer.

Having said that I'd rather it be wet and miserable than horribly hot.

The thing I miss most about English summers...were the LONG days. Most Americans do not realize how long English summer days are.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:15 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

None so anointed as the self anointed.

EXACTLY!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Right now it gets dark about 10pm.

It's light around 4am.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Right now it gets dark about 10pm.

It's light around 4am.

Yeah...there was something about that that I loved.

I did not love the pea soup fogs. People who have not been there see English fogs in movies, but if you have not lived through one, you have no idea.

(Makes some people wonder what their GOD has in mind with them.)