Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
They're gone.

The peasoupers of the 1950s were a result of smog, the burning of poor grade coal with a high sulphur content because all the decent coal was exported to pay the war debt.

London is not a naturally foggy place, now heavy industry has moved out and clean air laws passed, the peasoupers are a thing of the past.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 12:53 pm
@izzythepush,
I think parts of China resemble London in the 19th Century, the pollution there is catastrophic.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
You really do not want to eat the grocer strawberries sold here.

I envy you. I've tried growing them in containers and I think the dirt just gets too hot. I get a handful in a good year.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 01:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You need the opposite of a greenhouse.

I did have strawberries when I was in Texas in 87. It was your Mother's Day and they were in season.

They were similar to what we get in supermarkets in the Winter.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

They're gone.

The peasoupers of the 1950s were a result of smog, the burning of poor grade coal with a high sulphur content because all the decent coal was exported to pay the war debt.

London is not a naturally foggy place, now heavy industry has moved out and clean air laws passed, the peasoupers are a thing of the past.

Wow. Great to know that. I never encountered one in London, but the ones that hit our base in Lincolnshire were for the ages. People with lanterns used to walk in front of (and guide) cars around. There was no way one could see far enough to drive without a guide.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 05:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not "believe" I am going to die. I KNOW I am going to die.

So, you know that you are going to die, and yet you do not believe that you are going to die. You do realise just how ridiculous that sounds to any intelligent person, don't you Frank, but then, you are 88 years old.

Quote:
When discussing REALITY...any "beliefs" are nothing more than guesses...blind guesses at that.

So, the REALITY that we are discussing here, which is your certain death, according to you, is no more than a blind guess. By golly gee, you come up with some ridiculous remarks don't you Frank.

Sleep well old mate.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 06:06 pm
@steve reid,
Quote:
I understand and use 'believe' to mean assume, not know.

The definition of the word ‘BELIEVE’---------To accept that (something) is true.

The definition of ASSUME --- supposed to be the case, without proof.

Like Frank Apisa, you seem to have written your own dictionary.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2024 06:33 pm
@steve reid,
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST.

Quote:
I'm 100% with you there

So, you now reject your erroneous assumption that sound travels from an object to our ears, and now believe that the silent waves that travel from an object to our ears do not become sound until the brain perceives the electrical messages it receives, as sound.

Quote:
Do you believe that Grass is green

I believe that the blue and yellow light waves that are reflected from the grass, makes the grass appear to those with eyes to see, to be green, but take away the light and there is no colour.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2024 04:57 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Quote:
I do not "believe" I am going to die. I KNOW I am going to die.

So, you know that you are going to die, and yet you do not believe that you are going to die. You do realise just how ridiculous that sounds to any intelligent person, don't you Frank, but then, you are 88 years old.

So you do not think there is a difference between "believe" and "know."

Okay.

And you think that I sound ridiculous because I do.

Okay.

How old are you? Eight?

Quote:
Quote:
When discussing REALITY...any "beliefs" are nothing more than guesses...blind guesses at that.

So, the REALITY that we are discussing here, which is your certain death, according to you, is no more than a blind guess. By golly gee, you come up with some ridiculous remarks don't you Frank.

YOU are the one saying my certain death (and your certain death) is nothing but a blind guess. YOU are the one saying "belief" and "know" are the same thing.

You really are not very good at this, Anointed. Perhaps that is why you chose such a silly name.

Quote:
Sleep well old mate.

You do the same.
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2024 10:03 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:
The definition of the word ‘BELIEVE’---------To accept that (something) is true.

My understanding and use of the word 'believe' is as defined in Collins dictionary, 1st entry

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/believe

Your definition is the 3rd entry
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2024 10:13 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:
So, you now reject your erroneous assumption that sound travels from an object to our ears, and now believe that the silent waves that travel from an object to our ears do not become sound until the brain perceives the electrical messages it receives, as sound.

I rejected my erroneous assumption that sound travels from an object to my ears over 10 years ago

I presently believe that when two objects collide a silent pressure wave propagates out from the point of contact. When this pressure wave reaches my ears it causes very fine hairs to vibrate, the vibration of these hairs generates electrical signals which are received by my brain. My brain then encodes these electrical signals into the sound I perceive. When I clap my hands it is tempting to think that the sound I perceive has travelled from my hands to my ears, this is the illusion, the illusion I was referring to a few posts back

The Anointed wrote:
I believe that the blue and yellow light waves......

Light waves are not coloured. Visible light is a part of the Electro Magnetic Spectrum and like all components of the EMS has 3 properties, these are Wavelenght, Frequency and Energy. Light does not have an extra property of colour

The Anointed wrote:
......but take away the light and there is no colour.

Next time you wake up at 3:00 am and it's pitch black gently press your thumbs into your eyes, you will perceive brightly coloured patterns that are created without a light source
vikorr

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 12:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You "believe?"

Why do you not be honest and say, "I guess that a GOD exists?"
Ummm...that is what belief is - A strongly held "guess". The absence of guessing (I guess, or strongly - I believe), is knowing (I know). It's a little like the word faith - there can never be an act of faith where one is acting on knowledge.

For example - scientists cannot answer "what existed before the big bang?". They are currently working on theories...which even they admit, if they could answer the question, would only lead to the next question "What came before that?" Ie. at the very beginning of the evolutionary path (which I believe in).... 'how did we get here?'.... still hasn't been answered...and is still just a guess.

In the complete vacuum created by such a question, a creator being is as valid an answer as any other guess....just not the "creator" being of the current religions, which are so rife with problems that they can't possibly be true.

Personally, outside of curiosity, I don't know why anyone bothers to get worked up about it.
I'm right.
No I'm right.
No you're not, I'm right...
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 03:03 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
You "believe?"

Why do you not be honest and say, "I guess that a GOD exists?"
Ummm...that is what belief is - A strongly held "guess". The absence of guessing (I guess, or strongly - I believe), is knowing (I know). It's a little like the word faith - there can never be an act of faith where one is acting on knowledge.

The absence of guessing is not always, "I know." The absence of guessing may also be, "I acknowledge that I don't know and just refuse to guess."

That is where I stand on the question of, "Is there at least one god?" (Actually, "Is what we humans call 'the universe' a creation?")

I do not know...and think it is silly to make a guess. So...in the absence of a guess on the question there is left, "I do not know and just refuse to guess."

"Faith" in this context is merely someone insisting that their blind guess on this issue IS CORRECT.

Quote:
For example - scientists cannot answer "what existed before the big bang?". They are currently working on theories...which even they admit, if they could answer the question, would only lead to the next question "What came before that?" Ie. at the very beginning of the evolutionary path (which I believe in).... 'how did we get here?'.... still hasn't been answered...and is still just a guess.

In the complete vacuum created by such a question, a creator being is as valid an answer as any other guess....just not the "creator" being of the current religions, which are so rife with problems that they can't possibly be true.

Personally, outside of curiosity, I don't know why anyone bothers to get worked up about it.
I'm right.
No I'm right.
No you're not, I'm right...

Regardless of why some "bothers to get worked up about it"...the fact is that lots and lots and lots of people have been getting worked up about it.

It makes for interesting discussions. And at times, and often causes entire populations of people to have rights denied for no other reason than to please a blind guess that a god exists and wants those rights restricted.
vikorr

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 03:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"Faith" in this context is merely someone insisting that their blind guess on this issue IS CORRECT.
Only a couple of small observations:
- you can't honestly call it a blind guess, as most religious people will give you a plethora of anecdotal / observed reasons for their belief. If you want to stick with using the term guess, then Flawed guess, or severely flawed guess, would be much more accurate.
- insisting something is true can come from belief (people do this all the time, particularly when it comes to the reasons for other peoples negative actions). Comparatively, I've always thought the only thing that demonstrates faith, is acting on your belief (otherwise, you don't actually trust in your belief, and trust as I see it, is central to faith).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 04:08 pm
Dear Cher,

Why can't you at least be honest in your lyrics.

It should be I blindly guess in life after love.

And it's not shoop bloody shoop either!

Yours

Annointed.

Ha!

(You didn't think I was going to use my own name did you?
And he had it coming.)
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2024 09:44 pm
@steve reid,
Quote:
Next time you wake up at 3:00 am and it's pitch black gently press your thumbs into your eyes, you will perceive brightly coloured patterns that are created without a light source

Matey, in the pitch darkness of night, I dream in colour, but only in colours that I have seen, furthermore, dream study has suggested that no participant with total blindness from birth, have had a visual component in their dreams, which includes colour.

Next time you meet a person who has been totally blind since birth, ask that person to repeat your little experiment and to then describe the brightly coloured patterns that they see.

I dream of the taste of Chille, without Chille being present, I dream of the scent of a rose without a rose being present, I dream in colour without Light, the source of the colour being present. Memory is such a wonderful thing, what a marvelous invention the brain was.

Gotto go now Steve, school holidays, we've got all the great grand kids out her for two whole long long weeks.
steve reid

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2024 07:15 am
@The Anointed,
Sounds great, take care my friend Smile and enjoy your holiday
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2024 08:46 am
Why I seek solace ...

1:1:02 1: John 5: 43
2:00 2: Revelation 13: 2
2:59 3: Daniel 8: 25
3:59 4: Daniel 7: 8