Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:33 am
@mark noble,
Hey Mark, I'll bite..

mark noble wrote:
1) Have you ever sought God?

Most definitely!

mark noble wrote:
2) Why?

I wanted to know the truth of that particular question. If not "knowable", I wanted to "feel" that comfort or inspiration that others seem to feel.

mark noble wrote:
3) Did you find what you sought?

I found an answer: Absolute silence - only my own thoughts.

mark noble wrote:
4) Are you still looking?

Not actively, more passively in trying to remain open to experiences or inspiration. My search for "The Answer" feels like it's come already; even so, its SO pervasive in humanity I feel I owe it to myself to leave that door unlocked.

mark noble wrote:
5) Are you convinced that there is a God?

No

mark noble wrote:
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER?

Can't follow what I don't possess.

mark noble wrote:
7) Do you sin?

That depends on who's definition of "sin" is applied.

mark noble wrote:
8) Do you believe in an afterlife?

No

mark noble wrote:
9) Have you ever had an epiphany)

... of understanding, discovery or peak experience: Most definitely

mark noble wrote:
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?

As in "flour" (the baking ingredient) or the plant? How might this happen? :p
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:34 am
@A Lyn Fei,
Hi Lyn,
Great replies! Indeed, heaven and hell are not places - They are states of mind, IMO I hasten to add.
How is life lonely? Everyone herein has ME to keep them company.
Best wishes, my friend.
Mark..
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
@Khethil,
Hi Khethil,
An honest approach, with good answers too. As for the "flower" Excuse my poetic nature... "Gave bloom to" may be more apt, "inspired" even.
Thank you Khethil, and have a tremendous day.
Mark...
Khethil

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:01 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
As for the "flower" Excuse my poetic nature... "Gave bloom to" may be more apt, "inspired" even.

Ah! Nice usage - sorry I missed it.
Icon

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:27 am

I still seek God. Though I was originally an Atheist, I determined that Atheism is actually impoassible. So I converted to a sort of free range agnosticism in which I could not deny the existence of a God nore could I prove it. Finally I came to faith out of an unusual series of events.

2) Why?

Because I am human. It is in our nature to seek out things greater than ourselves. At least it is in MY nature. I am never satisifed with what I have and will always search for more. Of course, my search was fueled by a much greater fire than greed. There are men all over the world who say that they know the truth about this or that. They claim to have knowledge of the after life or that there is no after life at all. I asked myself a question a long time a go and I could not let go until I found the answer. The question was simply, "How can so many people 'KNOW' so many conflicting things?". It is not possible for one man to KNOW that God does not exist while another man KNOWS that he does. Just as one man KNEW the world was flat while another KNEW the world was round. So I had to know the answer as to which one really KNEW what they were talking about if anyone KNEW anything at all.

No. I found something different. What I sought was a being which controlled the very fabric of space and time and set my destiny by creating situations in my life. What I found was that I control my choices, while I do not control the consequences of those choices. I am simultaneously in complete control of my destiny and nothing but a passenger on the wave of time. God does not interfere with my choices nor does he set my path. He is not directly effecting my life. This is where my view conflicts with most other Christians. I do not see God as an escape from my troubles. If anything, accepting God into my life has brought about more problems. God is a provider in the same way that river provides a path to the sea. The river will flow, regardless of if you decide to follow it or not. It is and always will be your choice as to where you are going and how you will get there.

I am. I believe it is vitally important to question everything you think you KNOW

I am. Through a rather unusual series of events I found that you must look in the right place to find him but if you are able to open your eyes to the possibility of God then you are immediately opening your mind the many possibilities beyond yourself.

My faith has no letter. The Bible speaks the words of man while touching on the purpose of God. Language, especially written language, has always been an inadequate way of communicating intent. Therefore, I look for the words that aren't there in stories that are often found to be unimportant sections of "the truth"

7) Do you sin?

Don't we all? But then, what is "Sin"? If you look carefully at what is considered Sin, you will find an interesting pattern. Compare Sin to the laws of a village. They are basically the same. Do not steal or kill or harm your neighbor, be kind, respect your parents knowledge and wisdom, listen to what you are told. Do these things and you will have no conflict. Do not do these things and you may cause a lynching party to bust down your door and hang you in town square. The pattern behind sin is the same pattern behind Buddhist and Taoist philosophies. The path of least resistence is the path that leads to peace. Follow this path to find inner peace.

I do not know/I am not concerned with it. I do not want to live forever. Lazarus Long was a very VERY bored man.

Several, though they usually turned out to be wrong or a product of my imagination running rampant.

10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search

What flowered my search was curiosity. I am not done searching so no event caused my conclusion just as no one event have moved me further in any specific direction. The persuit of knowledge is second to a persuit of wisdom and wisdom teaches me that knowledge is gained through experience, not through guessing and pride.
Icon

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:31 am
@Khethil,
Nice to see you on here Keth. It has been awhile.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:43 am
@Icon,
Hi Icon,
Thank you for that, Well thought out, well delivered, honest and very close to my own thoughts.
Well done!
Have a great day.
Mark...
Icon

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:02 am
@mark noble,
I will never claim to be right. Only, less wrong than I was a moment ago.

Nice to meet you Mark. It has been a long time since I have come to forums for discussion. I was once a mod on Philosphyforum.com. I see it has relocated to here. I look forward to the change and the new blood. The old site left a bitter taste in my mouth. I look forward to interactions on this new one.
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:11 am
@Icon,
Nice to meet you too Icon. With that sort of outlook and deliverance I shall look forward to your posts, sir.
Have a great journey.
Mark...
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

6) faith is only as good as the first step in a ladder, it should not be the end and if you make faith the end of your pursuit then you really don't care about the truth.

This is a very good answer.
Faith needs intelligence, wisdom, knowing, which all means study.
But I still think this is what 'religion' is for to teach as much as learn.
But then I may be deluding myself that religion learns anything?

Krumple wrote:

10) yeah that trauma was being born.

Love this answer.
Will your death be a trauma or less traumatic than the birth? (not speaking about an anvil being dropped on you)
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
@mark noble,
My first reaction to this was disbelief or denial as hoe could God ever despise or need to be forgiven.
But on some scale somewhere I think this may be right.
Not what I will rate personally,
but will give this some serious ponderance.
Something about there being no negative sounds like a good idea.

Great to see you also.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@kennethamy,
(sun smile)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
Excellent show re how people's brains create the idea of God. You will find it on the Science TV Chanel on June 14th, and new shows each Wednesday and 8 p.m.

BBB

Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole
Is There a Creator?
TV-PG, CC

Did our Universe come into being by chance or was it created by a God? The latest science shows that the four forces governing our universe are finely tuned, so much so that it has led many to believe that something must have calibrated them.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:01 am
@Joe Nation,
Yes
2) Why?
When I was a young child, I was told I should.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope
Faith is beleivin' things that ain't so
7) Do you sin?
Nope.
Nope
9) Have you ever had an epiphany?
Nope
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?
Nope
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
@mark noble,
1) Have you ever sought God? Yes
2) Why? For answers, for comfort, for direction, for help.
3) Did you find what you sought? Sometimes yes, sometimes no - I say no in that I didn't get the answer I was looking for...but God is not a genie in a bottle.
4) Are you still looking? Seeking - always...but that is our lot in life...I think most of us are always seeking something.
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? Yes
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? My faith falters a lot. But how could it not in this imperfect world?
7) Do you sin? yep.
8) Do you believe in an afterlife? yes
9) Have you ever had an epiphany? many
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search? No, my seeking God is a daily practice of my faith. I watched my parents trust in and follow their faith in God and his son Jesus. I saw their love for others, their tireless service to those in need and their joy in the midst or sorrow and struggle. Their faith begat my faith. And though my faith falters at times...there has never been a time I didn't find my footing once again, strong and solid on my belief in God.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@mismi,
Hi Mismi,
Sincerity en masse. Love it. Thank you for being here.
Have a fruitful everything, always.
Mark...
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
Why, indeed? Have you ever sought God?

I would be happy indeed, if some of you would take the time to answer any or all of the questions below.

2) Why?
7) Do you sin?
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?

All your replies will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you, and journey well.
Mark...

First I would like to attempt to give a better idea of how I view god. To me, god=universe=love=existence. A plain and simple truth. God is not a single entity, god is neither male or female. God isn't a human.

1. Yes, then I stopped. then it seems god sought me to see. I noticed accidentally, luckily.
2. Questions with no answer are best explained by god.
3. I don't know, sometimes I find what I seek in meditation of our world, the universe, but other times I still question.
4. Always looking. The way I interpret the word god, it can be observed anywhere.
5. Certainly, absolutely.
6. No, not to the letter. I do try to better myself always though.
7. I sin, but I'd like to think that I do my very best to never wrong anyone. I'm surely not perfect though.
8. Infinite afterlives.
9. Very, very many. If controlled substances count, many, many more.
10. Yes, but wasn't traumatic in the sense of near-death. But it brought me some insight once into the powers of will and trust and being a good vs. bad person.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
@ABYA,
ABYA wrote:

gungasnake wrote:

MACROevolution however, which is what the theory of evolution is about, is a bunch of bullshit.

Yes and No. It seems pretty obvious that one creature followed on from another, Where Darwin got it wrong is the reasons for it, He saw one creature randomly genetically mutate from another, when in reality one creature originates after another.
God /Nature created every creature. Matter is the outward appearence of desire and as desires evolve so the outward appearance alters.
You might find this article interesting http://www.kabbalah.info/eng/content/view/frame/60691?/eng/content/view/full/60691&main

Yes. Do you also agree with me abya, that evolution and creation coexist?
ABYA

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:09 pm
@CarbonSystem,
Quote:
Yes. Do you also agree with me abya, that evolution and creation coexist?

Hi CarbonSystem
I would say the evolution of desires and creation coexist. Man desired to fly so aeroplanes were created. Man desired to be connected so the internet was created. I would say desire is the mother and father of all creation and that God is the creator of desires.
So yes, I see evolution of desires and creation as brothers.
All the best to you my friend.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:05 am
@mark noble,
What type of Christianity Question
Arrow that is a loaded question. I can certaintly tell you which churches I avoid Arrow ALL of them.
What type of Christianity Question
why the born-again type and the "in spirit and truth you shall know me" type.
0 Replies