Help regarding counselling. Depression. OCD.

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 12:51 pm
I was wanting to get a diagnosis from the doctor, regarding my mental health, but he said that an appointment with a quack won't be available for another few months.
He suggested that I check out what services my university offered in the meantime.
So I went to my uni and I organised a session with the counsellor there for tomorrow.

I was wondering if you could help me with regards to what will be required of me or what she will ask.
I'm not sure if I have to prepare myself so much, or if I just go in and talk about my issues.

Any help or past experiences with counsellors would be greatly appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,171 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by G-Thomson
JPB
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:03 pm
@G-Thomson,
I think you should probably be ready to answer an opening question such as, "What brings you here today?"

You can say that you had no choice because getting into see the quack was going to take a month and you didn't want to wait that long, but that won't be very helpful. There's some reason why you're looking for a diagnosis regarding your mental health. Be prepared to have an explanation for why that is.

From there the counselor will ask you some more questions. The more you can honestly describe the situation the better and easier it will be for the person you're talking to to help you.

g'luck! I hope it goes well. And, if it doesn't then get a referral to someone else. Finding a good therapist/counselor is sometimes a hit or miss proposition.
G-Thomson

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:12 pm
@JPB,
Thanks very much. Very Happy
I'll take that all into account.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:35 pm
@G-Thomson,
There is one very important thing you can do in preparation for the interchange. The first thing that the doctor will want verify is basically what has been posted just two posts above (can't see the posters name now...and....sorry). However, that is actually just the tip of the iceberg of this thing called 'case history.'

Therefore, my suggestion (to make things easier for both of you, and to get more done for the time allowed) is to get your history ready, and firmly in mind.

Family historyany immediate or extended family members who have been diagnosed with OCD, Tourette's syndrome, Bipolar disorder, or long-term or relapsing depression?

Personal history: Onset of any lingering feelings of depression {when have you noticed that you were depressed for a seemingly unusual length of time, and what were the circumstances in your life at that general moment--as best you can recall. Have you clinically been diagnosed with OCD? If so, when, and what did your report say (or prescribe)? In the event that you have been previously diagnosed, or simply, that you worry about falling under the general description (DSM-V is now out) of OCD, what recurring concerns or patterns of repetitive activity do you display? What are your personal habits (smoking wise, drinking wise, sexual orientation wise, eating wise, etc.) [these will likely not be asked about, but if there is anything that you think in your mind might stand out as being beyond what is more often considered within a 'normal' range for your age, sex, hereditary descent, and history, then ponder over it, and be prepared to answer fully on it.

Quality of Life: This is a kind of new one, and it varies with those in the field. I personally reason that it's very important, and will soon enough be a regular. Do you feel as though there has been any decrement to your quality of life due to any emotional or habitual events which linger, thus disrupting your ability to carry on in a basically 'normal' fashion for your circumstances? If so, be ready to explain in as much detail as you can.

Be open, be honest, try to think of all the little points which could bear on the understanding. Also, keep in mind that you may be asked to take some standard tests, such POMS, or so on, but these are simply to help the doctor get a better understanding of your present mental health state. AND ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing to bear in mind, is that mentality is a continuum, there is a vast and full array of small differences in build and states, and, there is definitely NO stigma in your going and getting a professional opinion of your present mental health state!

I wish you the best!! KJ
dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:57 pm
@G-Thomson,
Really, the counsellor should be very good at helping you relax and feel comfortable in talking about what is bothering you.

It can feel a bit anxious at first, so, if you are worried about forgetting any of what is concerning you, maybe write it down...sometimes folk can forget a detail or two.

You are wondering about OCD, so I am guessing you are anxious and have some rituals.

One of the major ways OCD is treated is by helping you to see that your anxieties lack a rational basis, that the anxiety is harmless, and gradually helping you stop whatever rituals you use to assuage it now.

So...have a go now. There is nothing to be worried about in having a chat with someone about what is worrying you, and you don't have to prepare.

Congratulations for seeking help!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:25 am
@G-Thomson,
How did it go, G?

Perfectly ok if you'd rather not continue this thread but I thought I'd let you know that I was thinking about you.

I hope you at least felt a sense of moving forward.
G-Thomson

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:33 am
@JPB,
Thank you very much for thinking about me!
It went very well thanks. She was an extremely nice person, and I'm going back at the same time next week.
I am really happy with how it went, and it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.
Thanks again for the advice and thoughts!
JPB

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@G-Thomson,
Great!

Funny how those weights we carry around on our shoulders burden the rest of our being too.

Very glad you're feeling lighter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:56 am
@KaseiJin,
oh yes, a complete, comprehensive and honest history if vital.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:06 am
@G-Thomson,
I'm glad all went well, G-Thomson, and wish to encourage you on!

Thanks for the mention, dyslexia. I may have been a bit too rigid, but wanted to kind of be just in case. (and if I may here, just where is Wolf Hole? . . . I lived in Phoenix for one year, and in Tucson for some 5...but....)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:03 am
@G-Thomson,
Great!!!!!!
0 Replies