Can Any Two Things Be Identical???

ACB

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
After all, why could there not (to use Leibniz's example) be two (numerically two) different leaves which happened to have the very same properties?

Because if there were two, they would have to be in different positions at any particular moment. For example, they may be lying side by side at time T. Then leaf 1 would have the property of being on the left (from my point of view) at that moment, and not on the right. Leaf 2 would have the property of being on the right and not on the left. Therefore, they would have different properties.

Right. And that assumes that spatial location is a property (as well as temporal location). But that is exactly the assumption that was questioned by Leibniz (see his correspondence with Samuel Clark who was Newton's secretary. Newton held the "empty bucket theory of space and time" better known as absolute space and time). Leibniz held that space and time were relational properties. And, apparently, Leibniz has won out, since that is the view of modern physics too.

I don't think my argument requires absolute space and time. It can expressed purely in terms of relations between objects. Imagine two (supposedly) identical leaves such that one lies on top of the other. A raindrop then hits the top leaf. That leaf will then have the property of being hit by the raindrop, and the other will not.

This can be generalised as follows: Two objects A and B must have different relations to at least one other object. For example, if A and B have equal mass and are propelled towards object C with exactly the same force, one must reach C before the other (unless C is equidistant from them, in which case we can pick another object, D, which is not equidistant from A and B). (Of course, relativity theory complicates matters slightly, but I don't think it undermines the general point of my argument.)
mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:18 pm
@ACB,
Hi ACB,
Glad to meet another thinker in the right ball-park.

Have a great day.
Mark...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:25 pm
Reality is Perfect not the concepts...it should be so obvious...actually is ironical that we get it backwards... Rolling Eyes
mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Hi Filipe,
I must correct you there. WE haven't got it backwards!
Others have.

Best wishes Filipe.
Mark...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Filipe,
Others have.

Best wishes Filipe.
Mark...

Well yes, very much fair the remark Mark...correction is correct and noted !... Very Happy

See you around !

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
After all, why could there not (to use Leibniz's example) be two (numerically two) different leaves which happened to have the very same properties?

Because if there were two, they would have to be in different positions at any particular moment. For example, they may be lying side by side at time T. Then leaf 1 would have the property of being on the left (from my point of view) at that moment, and not on the right. Leaf 2 would have the property of being on the right and not on the left. Therefore, they would have different properties.

Right. And that assumes that spatial location is a property (as well as temporal location). But that is exactly the assumption that was questioned by Leibniz (see his correspondence with Samuel Clark who was Newton's secretary. Newton held the "empty bucket theory of space and time" better known as absolute space and time). Leibniz held that space and time were relational properties. And, apparently, Leibniz has won out, since that is the view of modern physics too.

I don't think my argument requires absolute space and time. It can expressed purely in terms of relations between objects. Imagine two (supposedly) identical leaves such that one lies on top of the other. A raindrop then hits the top leaf. That leaf will then have the property of being hit by the raindrop, and the other will not.

This can be generalised as follows: Two objects A and B must have different relations to at least one other object. For example, if A and B have equal mass and are propelled towards object C with exactly the same force, one must reach C before the other (unless C is equidistant from them, in which case we can pick another object, D, which is not equidistant from A and B). (Of course, relativity theory complicates matters slightly, but I don't think it undermines the general point of my argument.)

But how could you tell one was lying on top of the other, for you would have to distinguish them to do that?
Arjuna

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Classification only go so far in length, being a dog or whatever...On the contrary Reality has what exists goes all the way in length...this including our thoughts as part of our physical reality, our imagination has something that actually happens in our physical brains as also a part of reality...what else is there to compare to if we jump beyond the strict sense of words ?
In absolute terms everything is perfect and unique... an intertwined meta phenomena were the singular thing meets the plurality of existence and equals it in a dialectical meta relation to position itself in relative terms when to be specific to any of its parts. The Holistic result of that endless catalogue of relations between one thing and all the others there is makes it perfectly equal to the Whole itself and therefore not transcendeble in concept potential !
Story: I was helping to create a stage set for a play... don't remember which one, I did a few. I was creating a large stone block wall with paint. The guy in charge called me over and told me to look at the wall I'd painted. "Yea," I said... "what?" He looked at me and told me to squint at it. So I did. It was then that I saw a long light shape on my wall... which after I stopped squinting was still there... it was breaking the illusion. I fixed it.

And in this event the whole of the universe is contained. It's relation to this and that throughout time and space, an ever expanding web of things being just so...makes it perfectly equal to the Whole itself. It's not transcendable in concept potential.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

But how could you tell one was lying on top of the other, for you would have to distinguish them to do that?

Hi Ken,

You could take a look.

Mark...
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

If one leaf has a raindrop on it and the other doesn't, they're not identical. If you say that being at point A is a property of one of the leaves, isn't that absolute space again?
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Reality is Perfect not the concepts...it should be so obvious...actually is ironical that we get it backwards... Rolling Eyes

Reality is what it is, and to be perfect it must be conceived of as such... We are what we are and we live in the real world that is what it is... But to understand it we must conceive of it, and if you do so as perfect by way of your concept of perfection based upon nature, or reality as perfect, then more power to you... I just thing that a'priori judgement is not exactly philosophy since most would reserve judgement, and so reserve a dynamic relationship with reality... It is an infinite after all, what it is, and in such matters we always have our moral fingers on the scale... We are too involved to judge fairly...
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Filipe,
Others have.

Best wishes Filipe.
Mark...

It is perfect that we get sick and die??? It is perfect that we destroy our environments and make war over what is left??? It is perfect that every beautiful sunrise means you are a day closer to your death, and that in getting there you will earn every pain, and what you can bear of grief... The earth you conceive of as perfect since it is real will kill our children while they kill it; and this is perfect??? It would perhaps be more perfect without people to conceive of it as perfect... It is better than nothing, but it is the only show in town... If there were something to choose between, I might agree with you; but think: Can we truly judge anything without something to compare to... Reality is one of a kind... All we can possibly compare it to is the quasi concept of it, and since all concepts are perfect we do as we always do, and judge the real by the impossible...
ACB

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:
If one leaf has a raindrop on it and the other doesn't, they're not identical.

If one leaf's contact with an object (a raindrop) makes them non-identical, it follows that, before the raindrop falls, the other leaf's contact with an object (the ground) already makes them non-identical. If they were floating in the air, they would be in contact with non-identical configurations of air molecules. Even if they were suspended in a vacuum, the combination of the earth's, moon's and sun's gravitational pull on them would be very slightly different, depending on their position. The mere presence of other objects is enough to make the leaves non-identical. Two separate but identical leaves could only occur in an otherwise totally empty universe.
mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:05 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido,
I do see all these things as 'Perfect'. Perfect representations of themselves. I didn't say they were 'Good' or 'Bad'.

I think you may be mistaking how I perceive perfection, or I may be describing it wrong.

Kind regards.
Mark...
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

ACB wrote:

If one leaf has a raindrop on it and the other doesn't, they're not identical. If you say that being at point A is a property of one of the leaves, isn't that absolute space again?

They are both identical... Leaf is an identity, and we class thing by identity... So how would you classify leafs??? By those with water on them and those without??? Pa Leeez....Then you would not have one identity but two, and at that rate reality would be impossible to talk about let alone think about rationally... Ideas are general... Reality is so many specifics...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:26 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

Arjuna wrote:
If one leaf has a raindrop on it and the other doesn't, they're not identical.

If one legivenaf's contact with an object (a raindrop) makes them non-identical, it follows that, before the raindrop falls, the other leaf's contact with an object (the ground) already makes them non-identical. If they were floating in the air, they would be in contact with non-identical configurations of air molecules. Even if they were suspended in a vacuum, the combination of the earth's, moon's and sun's gravitational pull on them would be very slightly different, depending on their position. The mere presence of other objects is enough to make the leaves non-identical. Two separate but identical leaves could only occur in an otherwise totally empty universe.

Quite right... Given.... Nothing on this earth is the equal of anything else... The only way we can rate anything as identical is upon a limited equality
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm

two hydrogen atoms are identical
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:46 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Fido,
I do see all these things as 'Perfect'. Perfect representations of themselves. I didn't say they were 'Good' or 'Bad'.

I think you may be mistaking how I perceive perfection, or I may be describing it wrong.

Kind regards.
Mark...

Perfection is a moral form apart from reality and as such it is an abstraction, but not of a being since nothing can be proved perfect, but is a certain meaning subjective and individual... You can say it is perfect to you, but as the Muslims say: Only Allah ia perfect... And why not say so since God, too, is an infinite, so we can cast a vote, but hardly judge since as with all infinites, we cannot see reality as an object; and so we cannot be objective about it...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:46 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Reality is what it is, and to be perfect it must be conceived of as such... We are what we are and we live in the real world that is what it is... But to understand it we must conceive of it, and if you do so as perfect by way of your concept of perfection based upon nature, or reality as perfect, then more power to you... I just thing that a'priori judgement is not exactly philosophy since most would reserve judgement, and so reserve a dynamic relationship with reality... It is an infinite after all, what it is, and in such matters we always have our moral fingers on the scale... We are too involved to judge fairly...

Agreed...but one thing is to know and quite another to be...that´s the deeper issue at stake...

To be is above all known possible information on the state of affairs of the Universe...To be is the fact in context with the whole !

I could go with Nabokov self consistent principle on Reality for starters...but lets just leave it for the experts...

Bottom line:

The way I see it is our imperfection on knowing given we are limited beings that makes us have this ideal of an alternate Perfection to what Reality is in itself...one may point out that perhaps something should be this way, or that way given all we/one knows...but the question is, unless I/we know it all, one really can´t tell...nevertheless the fact is unsurpassed !
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:48 pm
@north,
north wrote:

I would like to see you prove it... Two dogs are identical too...It is a beyond proof an entirely obvious... And if people cannot judge upon what is obvious then they will never be able to judge upon specifics that can never be verified...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

north wrote:

I would like to see you prove it...

He can´t...just consider :

Do they have the same spin ? the same momentum ? the same relation with their surroundings ? well... Pa leez !...