Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:00 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

two hydrogen atoms are identical

I would like to see you prove it...

He can´t...just consider :

Do they have the same spin ? the same momentum ? the same relation with their surroundings ? well... Pa leez !...

The are atoms and Hydrogen... They are identical... That is what the word means... If it were different it would be Duterium, and it is a give away that that atom has a different name/identity...
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

north wrote:

I would like to see you prove it... Two dogs are identical too...It is a beyond proof an entirely obvious... And if people cannot judge upon what is obvious then they will never be able to judge upon specifics that can never be verified...

two hygrogen atoms are identical

and if two dogs are indentical ( which is highly unlikely since twins are not indentical ) then your argument is in valid
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:13 pm
Identity is not infinitely intrinsic...actually is born out of relation, you see I believe in causality, in causal chains ! Two thing which necessarily have different surroundings cannot be identical...
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

I would like to see you prove it... Two dogs are identical too...It is a beyond proof an entirely obvious... And if people cannot judge upon what is obvious then they will never be able to judge upon specifics that can never be verified...

and if two dogs are indentical ( which is highly unlikely since twins are not indentical ) then your argument is in valid

Dog is an identity, just as hydrogen atom is an identity... Relative equality as between twins which are hardly equal is not an identity... Human is an identity... Every form or idea or concept is an identity...
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Dog is an identity, just as hydrogen atom is an identity... Relative equality as between twins which are hardly equal is not an identity... Human is an identity... Every form or idea or concept is an identity...

define identity , to you
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Identity is not infinitely intrinsic...actually is born out of relation, you see I believe in causality, in causal chains ! Two thing which necessarily have different surroundings cannot be identical...

Nonsense... A moon of jupiter is the same as a moon of earth... A moon is a moon is a moon... And i am not mooning you... No wonder Confucious cared for the proper naming of things... You cannot at once deny identity at speak rationally of anything... It is child's play for philosophy...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

There is a miss understanding on my part on this issue. I meant all the way equal not just identical...none of them, equal and identical, on close observation is true enough...precisely why we keep infinitely re-conceptualizing about what something is...concepts are never finished....they are not absolute zeros with no entropy on them ! Just look at the evolution on language.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Nonsense... A moon of jupiter is the same as a moon of earth... A moon is a moon is a moon... And i am not mooning you... No wonder Confucious cared for the proper naming of things... You cannot at once deny identity at speak rationally of anything... It is child's play for philosophy...

Similarity is possible to conceive, approximation...so that kind of remark is just not true neither necessary.

The same argument (you present) could go all the way around...in order to communicate what could possibly be entirely different ? Would n´t such thing to be transcendent not just to an observer but even to any possible interaction ???
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

There is a miss understanding on my part on this issue. I meant all the way equal not just identical...none of them, equal and identical, on close observation is true enough...precisely why we keep infinitely re-conceptualizing about what something is...concepts are never finished....they are not absolute zeros with no entropy on them ! Just look at the evolution on language.

so two hygrogen atoms are indentical then

this not about conceptualizing , concepts , or zeros

there is a physical object called a hygrogen atom , in its simplist form , 0ne electron , proton , orbiting around each other
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:41 pm
On the other hand, if two things were to be actually the same how could we tell the difference ?
The point being that they may actually be closely similar which is an entirely different matter...but that remark is n´t strict to concepts or ideals, it apply´s to everything ! Before thought there is sensory perception...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:47 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

The boundary to what makes them, the actual things, to be the same or not, is to be conceptualize if to speak on them...but besides that the same boundary, who´s to say were does it finishes or starts ?
These two atoms, do they have the same trajectory ? The same angular momentum ? The same kinetic energy ? The same spin ?
They are atoms is simply a definition...but what are they really ???

there is a physical object called a hygrogen atom , in its simplist form , 0ne electron , proton , orbiting around each other
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

On the other hand, if two things were to be actually the same how could we tell the difference ?
The point being that they may actually be closely similar which is an entirely different matter...but that remark is n´t strict to concepts or ideals, it apply´s to everything ! Before thought there is sensory perception...

and before sensory perception , there is hygrogen
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:50 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

The boundary to what makes them, the actual things, to be the same or not, is to be conceptualize if to speak on them...but besides that the same boundary, who´s to say were does it finishes or starts ?
These two atoms, do they have the same trajectory ?
The same angular momentum ?
The same kinetic energy ? The same spin ?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:54 pm
On the other side of the spectrum, how would things entirely differ ?
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

north wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

These two atoms, do they have the same trajectory ?
The same angular momentum ?
The same kinetic energy ? The same spin ?

to the last , ( the rest matter not ) , they are hydrogen atoms , in their simplest form , nothing more , nothing less
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:58 pm
@north,
Define Identity:

The first paragraph of chapter one: Conservation of Continuous Qualtities, From Piaget's The Child's Conception of Number...

Every notion, whether it be scientific or mearly a matter of common sense, presupposes a set of principals of conservation, either explicit, or implicit... It is a matter of common knowledge that in the field of emperical sciences, the principal of inertia (conservation of rectilinear and uniform motion) made possible the development of modern physics, and that the principal of conservation of matter made possible the devolpment of modern chemistry... It is unnecessary to stress the importance in every-day life of the principal of identity; any attempt by thought to build up a system of notions requires a certain permanence in their definitions... In the field of perception, the schema of the permanent object presupposes the elaboration of what is no doubt the most primitive of all these principals of conservation, which is a necessary condition of all rational activity, and we are not concerned with whether it is sufficient to account for this activity, or explain the nature of reality...

Can you make sense of that if you cannot make sense of me??? Unless all concepts represent a shared identity they have no rational value, or perhaps, rather: Value to Reason... Identity is a principal of logic, and of philosophy, and I had no more than figured it out on my own on one of these forums without the value of an explaination that I discovered the above paragraph... I must have missed that day in class, and it sort of hurt to see that what i figured out everyone else took for granted, as we all do... Well, it is true that in every essential detail Dogs are identical, along with Hydrogen Atoms... Knowledge demands system, and identity is system in its most basic form... Don't confuse identity with equality across the board...

He goes on to say: This being so, arithmetical thought is no exception to the rule... A set or collection is only conceivable if it remains unchanged irrespective of the changes occurring in the relationship between the elements... For instance, the permutations of the elements in a given set do not change its value... A number is only intelligeable if it remains identitcal to itself, whatever the distribution of the units of which it is composed... A continuous quantity such as length or volume can only be used in reasoning if it is a permanent whole, irrespective of the arragement of its parts...

Are you getting the sense yet, with words like number, length, or volume, all identities, and all conserved???...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:00 pm
But on what authority or perfect understanding do you base this criteria ?
You can state it alright...they are atoms...but not just exactly that...they are more !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
As everything else sameness or difference are in fact limited concepts...with a limited scope depth or length to what they grasp or can incorporate...when taken to the extreme you immediately can see their limits.

I ask again:
What could be so entirely different that we could even debate it or perceive it ?
And what else could be the same that we could some how still differ to further equalize ?
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:08 pm
@Fido,

Quote:
Can you make sense of that if you cannot make sense of me??? Unless all concepts represent a shared identity they have no rational value, or perhaps, rather: Value to Reason...

the thing is , is that , I don't look at hydrogen as concept , to start

concept to me is a brain/or mind made thing

hydrogen is NOT a brain/mind made thing or concept
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Quote:
Can you make sense of that if you cannot make sense of me??? Unless all concepts represent a shared identity they have no rational value, or perhaps, rather: Value to Reason...

the thing is , is that , I don't look at hydrogen as concept , to start

concept to me is a brain/or mind made thing

hydrogen is NOT a brain/mind made thing or concept

I grasp the idea...but how can you not deal only with the perception and the concept alone ?

The actuality´s are unknowable´s...still we can state that concepts evolve...