Can An Atheist Have A Soul?

tristan22

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 11:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If the ego inhabits the physical body then you may as well call it a soul surely. I don't know of course, but I think maybe the conscious, subconscious and unconscious are the same as God, the heavens and the earth God being spirit, the heavens being electro magnetic energy (thought waves) and the earth being physical matter. Physical matter stores information. Electro magnetic waveforms transport information through the central nervous system and through space from one creature to another but God or our self awareness is something utterly different. Magnetic energy is created by interaction and so it relies on matter to exist. The particles in matter adhere via magnetism and so relies on energy to exist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Our awareness is not a part of either of these and god couldn't have created the heavens and the earth unless he was separate from them both.
tristan22

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 11:46 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org/rc_intro.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 01:56 am
@tristan22,
You are an idiot, and you are delusional. You make this **** up as you go along. Do not expect anyone with a modicum of intelligence to take you seriously.

Another example, your obsession with the putative "Jesus." Leaving aside that Jesus is not a Hebrew name (you ******* idiot), there's no good reason to believe that this joker existed. I think it's possible, but there is no certain, irrefutable historical evidence that he existed. So i have no opinion on what he may or may not have looked like. That stupidity about "the bible" and the English language assumes that i put any credence in "the bible." I don't. It's a load of codswallop--it's fairy tales.

Idiot.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 03:46 pm
Can anyone definitively defnine what a soul is? The key word in the question is 'definitively'...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:12 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Can anyone definitively defnine what a soul is? The key word in the question is 'definitively'...

I doubt that very much. The most any of us can do by way of definition is to explain what we mean when we use the word. See my most recent post above.

Let me add to that post now: When I define 'soul' as the 'ego', I make no theological or metaphysical assumptions or claims about its purported immortality. I don't know a thing about that and, therefore, have virtually no opinion on the subject. I do have an open mind on the subject but I neither believe nor disbelieve the claims others make. All I am saying is that I do firmly believe that I -- the ego, the es -- am much more than the physical body which I inhabit. Whether this ego perishes along with the physical corpus or goes on and on and on like a Eveready Battery, I have no idea nor anyempirical means by which to make such a determination.

But, as I said, I do have an open mind.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 12:09 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You admit to having an open mind, but your belief concerning your physical death is in conflict.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 12:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
How so?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 01:10 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You fail to understand the difference between life and death.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 01:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You fail to understand the difference between life and death.

When we speak of 'death', we are speaking of the death of the body only.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
When I define 'soul' as the 'ego', I make no theological or metaphysical assumptions or claims about its purported immortality. I don't know a thing about that and, therefore, have virtually no opinion on the subject.

What I just said there (just to simplify it): I have no idea whether the 'soul' dies with the body or not. As I said, I have no set opinion on it, but I keep an open mind.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 01:46 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Says you with no ability to prove your claim.
Your belief in poofism is a joke; too bad you expend so much of your time and effort to believe in "any" god or savior.

BTW why is heaven free from sin? Does your god take away your freedom of choice?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 01:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
Who the hell said anything about god or "my" heaven??? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else. I haven't said any of the things you keep accusing me of. What's up with all this ****? Read my posts, for Pete's sake. I just told you my beliefs have nothing to do with theological theory, therefore nothing to do with "god". Are you getting senile, Tak?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 02:09 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Any belief in a soul is based on superstition; it's the belief that one's soul is separate from the body; ergo, religion. When the body dies, so does the brain that is the private and public persona with all that entails. The brain ceases to function at death.

Any belief about life after death is based on religion.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
What do you define death as?
saab

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
A soul – in certain spiritual, philosophical, and psychological traditions – is the incorporeal essence of a person or living thing or object.Many philosophical and spiritual systems still teach that humans have souls, and others teach that all living things and even inanimate objects (such as rivers) have souls. The latter belief is commonly called animism. Soul can function as a synonym for spirit, mind or self.
If you see the soul from a philosophical tradition then even an atheist have a soul.
If you see it from a psychological tradition then atheists certainly have a soul as in some languages you are ill/disturbed to your soul. That can even happen to an atheist.
To say that soul is nothing but superstition is wrong as in many languages you talk about body, soul and mind. Soul meaning your spiritual side but also your feeling and your creative sides.
If you say an atheist has no soul would for many just mean he or she has no feelings and no form of creativity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:26 am
@Procrustes,
When the heart stops, and there is no longer any brain activity.
Procrustes

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
What then makes the heart beat and brain 'buzz' with activity?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:57 am
@Procrustes,
Study biology
tristan22

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
BTW why is heaven free from sin? Does your god take away your freedom of choice?

??? Can you have Black without White ? Up without down ? Positive without Negative? Love without Hate? Masculine without Feminine? How about you stick a bit of black in a bit of white just to see what happens. Or white into black as you choose. Take 1 of the wires off your bedside lamp, See if it still works. When you put it back you just may see the light.
Procrustes

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
According to a quick google search, electrical impulses seem to be the consensus. So it begs the question, what are these electrical impulses?
Builder

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:47 am
Can an athiest claim insurance for an act of God?
0 Replies