Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:58 pm

I'm not religious nor do I think that there is some sort god that is responsible for living things

its just that we don't know yet whys, hows or whats yet
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:58 pm
@north,
north wrote:
science can not yet explain how non-living chemistry can produce living things

You mean, can not explain *in detail*, right? Because science can certainly explain it in general principles which don't conflict with empirical possibilities.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:59 pm
@north,
north wrote:
So what? There are plenty of things which science will never be able to explain.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:01 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
No, but it offers a plausible model for how chemicals come to form cells. (I'm extending the model so that the "bio" element can be deleted.)

The endosymbiotic theory concerns the origins of mitochondria and plastids (e.g. chloroplasts), which are organelles of eukaryotic cells. It focuses mainly on the idea of symbiosis between these organisms. I don't think it talks about chemical evolution at all. Perhaps you are thinking of a different term?
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
The endosymbiotic theory concerns the origins of mitochondria and plastids (e.g. chloroplasts), which are organelles of eukaryotic cells. It focuses mainly on the idea of symbiosis between these organisms. I don't think it talks about chemical evolution at all. Perhaps you are thinking of a different term?
Right, endosymbiosis moots an original independence of organelles. It's not clear that such independent organelles would be alive, but in any case, they would be non-cellular life. I'm suggesting that this can be plausibly extended, under the same or a similar model, to the question of the formation of the host cells themselves.
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:08 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

north wrote:

You mean, can not explain *in detail*, right? Because science can certainly explain it in general principles which don't conflict with empirical possibilities.

no , science can not explain how the living comes from the non-living
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:10 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

north wrote:
So what? There are plenty of things which science will never be able to explain.

I didn't suggest that science couldn't explain the problem , its just that right now science can't , thats all
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:12 pm
@north,
north wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
north wrote:
I didn't suggest that science couldn't explain the problem , its just that right now science can't , thats all
That's no big news, is it? So, I repeat, so what?
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

north wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
north wrote:
That's no big news, is it? So, I repeat, so what?

science will
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@north,
north wrote:
no , science can not explain how the living comes from the non-living

I disagree. I think the existing theories are quite reasonable.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:23 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Right, endosymbiosis moots an original independence of organelles. It's not clear that such independent organelles would be alive, but in any case, they would be non-cellular life. I'm suggesting that this can be plausibly extended, under the same or a similar model, to the question of the formation of the host cells themselves.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I was more focused on a much more rudimentary state pertaining to the arise of the first replicative molecules, whatever those were.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:03 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:

And if that were the case we would not be here to ask the question... right?

So what that the universe gave rise to inteligent life. Doesn't seem at all amazing to me. After all, here we all are. Ho hum.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:40 am
Science and religion(and philosophy for that matter) are all windows on the same reality. All different perspectives.
I would say that objective scientific facts must be the defining framework for the world. Although I believe there are things science can by definition not give us the final word on. I suspect the problem of free will is one of those areas.

So if we perceive a conflict between science and religion it is a good indication that we have either not properly understood the scientific theory yet or we have not yet found the correct interpretation of the religious texts.
You can also see science and religion and being antithetical in the Hegelian sense.
In order to solve the apparent conflict a synthesis must be found.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:02 am
@sarek,
Quote:
In order to solve the apparent conflict a synthesis must be found.

That is a good insight - and I think it is taking place as we speak.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:06 am
@amanda phil,
Quote:
Can science and religion be mutually relevant with reference to evolution, intellegent design, cosmology, etc?

Yes. Once you realize that evolution and today's mathematical cosmology are a bunch of ideological bullshit that is.

0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:07 am
@amanda phil,
Quote:
Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

Yes, upon that glorious moment when science proves that there is a god, and god having knowingly proved the truth of science then says goodness you guys are a bit late I've been waiting what seems like an eternity.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:26 am
@solipsister,
"proving god" is a ridiculous idea. You can only prove what you believe by the way you live. No other proof matters, or counts.
Klope3

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:43 am
@jeeprs,
Untrue, because God isn't just something you believe--he exists, and this can be shown through science and logical conclusions.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:50 am
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:
God isn't just something you believe--he exists
What utter fucking rubbish. Back up this vicious imposition or withdraw it.
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:27 am
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:

Untrue, because God isn't just something you believe--he exists, and this can be shown through science and logical conclusions.

Complete cobblers

It cannot be shown through science and logical conclusions at all.

Merely putting particular words together in a particular order does not, in itself confer any validity to them merely as a function of your doing it.

What the buggery do you think "faith" is for?

Faith is, by definition, a belief in something in the absence of evidence. Otherwise you wouldn't need faith.
0 Replies