Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:05 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:
The basic concept of the Big Bang suggests creation; quite a bit of evidence (which would really consume alot of space to delve into here) supports intelligent design of life.

Don't be afraid to waste a bit of space, after all this is a discussion board. What evidence do you think supports intelligent design of life?
0 Replies

sjiden

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:08 pm
@Krumple,
Hell, if you want it to be relevant make it relevant. Take some responsibilility over your opinions.
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:10 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:

I say yes. Scientific evidence and logical reasoning support quite a few claims of religions, particularly those of Christianity. The basic concept of the Big Bang suggests creation; quite a bit of evidence (which would really consume alot of space to delve into here) supports intelligent design of life.

But I'd also be quick to point out that religion isn't science. Whiline it can be confirmed by science, and can make a really good partner with it, it also goes into other things that science does not --morality, what should and should not be done, divine commands, etc. These things, however, can be particularly relied upon, when science, history, and logic combe to assure beyond a reasonable doubt that they are true.

Firstly, science does not in any way support the crude cabaret that masquerades and as "explanation" for the existence eof the universe. To try and suggest so is arrant, laughable nonsense.

Secondly, what gives religionists the right to assume that they are the sole arbiters of morality? That they are somehow blessed with the capacity to make moral judegments and behave morally in the world in a way that non believers do not possess. This represents an arrogance beyond belief.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:56 pm
@stevecook172001,
Quote:
To try and suggest so is arrant, laughable nonsense.

You're always saying this kind of thing, Steve Cook, but you show no evidence of any education in religious studies or classical philosophy, whatever. Are you familiar with the ontological proofs? The cosmological arguments? You arracks on religion are arrogant, laughable nonsense unsupported by reason or anything other than prejudice.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:59 pm
@sjiden,
sjiden wrote:

Hell, if you want it to be relevant make it relevant. Take some responsibilility over your opinions.

What? You aimed this at me? What are you referring to?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
@amanda phil,
Unless something has changed on this recently, as far as I know, Roman Catholics are fine with evolutionary theory, and somewhat fine with science in general, except for particular aspects they disapprove of for moralistic reasons. This relative science-is-ok thing has not been true in some famous past history.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
When I was in 6th grade at St. Martha's School in Dearborn, Michigan, probably in academic 1959-60, one of the class wags asked Sister Thomasine whether it was "alright" to believe in evolution. She said as long as you believe that at some point God breathed a soul into an ape.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:29 pm
Each side has to turn a blind eye to the other. It's the only way to avoid incessant warfare. You will not entice the fundamentalists to accept science, except to 'cherry pick' the parts they want. Science cannot be bothered with that which cannot be experimented on.
ughaibu

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Science cannot be bothered with that which cannot be experimented on.
String theory? Many worlds? Are you saying that physics includes non-science?
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:38 pm
It is logically possible to have a conception of science and a conception of religion such that they expound upon each other: for example, Spinoza's stance on God. (though note, Hume describes him as a systematic atheist)

There exists a Christian in the world that believes in the claims of science and the claims of his religion, and he often finds mental connections between the two (I'm citing my father -- so you'll just have to take my word on it). So, if one person exists that does this, I would say that they can be resolved... but that the claims and connotations of science fly in the face of a large number of popular religious beliefs. (I don't know if it's a majority or not, but it's certainly sizable. This is most pronounced in biology, popularly.)
jeeprs

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
funny thing is, I have a spiritual philosophy of life, yet I am perfectly comfortable with science. My theory is that often, 'religion' and 'science' are both 'mental constructs' that have little to do with the life of a working scientist, on the one hand, or those with a spiritual outlook, on the other. And it is quite possible to have both views. Many of the founders of Western science were deeply religious, and the great physicists of the 20th Century did not generally subscribe to materialism. Much of the controversy is built around stereotyping and prejudice.
0 Replies

Klope3

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:28 am
@stevecook172001,
rosborne979 wrote:

Klope3 wrote:
The basic concept of the Big Bang suggests creation; quite a bit of evidence (which would really consume alot of space to delve into here) supports intelligent design of life.

Don't be afraid to waste a bit of space, after all this is a discussion board. What evidence do you think supports intelligent design of life?

It all sort of goes back to the origin of the universe. If God created and designed the universe (which, based on current scientific findings, is reasonable to believe), then it is reasonable to believe that he intelligently designed life in addition to the universe. I don't see God deliberately creating the universe and then having intelligent life accidentally evolve without his knowledge.

As for actual evidence that directly supports intelligent design, it's ALL AROUND. The problem is that evolutionists assert that the intelligent design theory is wrong and stupid (starting off with the presupposition that everything must have a natural cause), and that evolution is all that makes sense. Don't you think the incredible complexity and durability of life could be completely explained by the presence and involvement of an intelligent designer? The complexity (as well as irreducible complexity) is the evidence; ID is the conclusion drawn from that evidence. (Though ID often starts as a religious belief, that doesn't mean it has to be wrong.)

Also, evolution still isn't reasonable enough to believe. It hasn't been proven in any way, shape, or form, and it requires pretty huge leaps of faith. At this point, intelligent design looks a whole lot more reasonable than undirected, unintelligent evolution.

stevecook172001 wrote:
Firstly, science does not in any way support the crude cabaret that masquerades and as "explanation" for the existence eof the universe. To try and suggest so is arrant, laughable nonsense.

You make this assertion but do not provide any explanation for it. If you want your statement to be worthwhile, please elaborate so we know where you're coming from.

stevecook172001 wrote:
Secondly, what gives religionists the right to assume that they are the sole arbiters of morality? That they are somehow blessed with the capacity to make moral judegments and behave morally in the world in a way that non believers do not possess. This represents an arrogance beyond belief.

At first glance, yes. And in some or many cases, it may be true (though the arrogance probably isn't realized by the party in question). But (and yes, I'm making this about Christianity right now) there exists a solid line of logical reasoning supporting that the Bible is historically reliable, that Jesus was and is God, and that all the teachings of the Bible, as originally intended, are completely reliable.

I also say it's hard for there to be morality without a "religion" of some kind. Materialism and morality don't match, the way I see it.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:
If God created and designed the universe (which, based on current scientific findings, is reasonable to believe)...

Why is is reasonable to believe? Just because science doesn't rule out God (which it never will), doesn't mean that by lack of address, God is implied. Current scientific findings do not address the concept of God at all, and to the contrary, evidence continues to indicate that natural processes alone are capable of generating the structure of the Universe and the life within it.
Klope3 wrote:
I don't see God deliberately creating the universe and then having intelligent life accidentally evolve without his knowledge.

And maybe that's because "God", whatever that is, didn't create anything. You're jumping to conclusions right off the bat.
Klope3 wrote:
As for actual evidence that directly supports intelligent design, it's ALL AROUND. The problem is that evolutionists assert that the intelligent design theory is wrong and stupid (starting off with the presupposition that everything must have a natural cause)

Starting off with the assumption of natural cause is the very basis of science, it can't proceed from any other point or it wouldn't be science.
Klope3 wrote:
and that evolution is all that makes sense. Don't you think the incredible complexity and durability of life could be completely explained by the presence and involvement of an intelligent designer?

Sure, but it can also be explained without an intelligent designer and that's the point. And that's what science has been doing for centuries now; demonstrating that the natural world is capable of evolving without assistance.
Klope3 wrote:
The complexity (as well as irreducible complexity) is the evidence; ID is the conclusion drawn from that evidence.

There is no irreducible complexity. It's been theorized but never demonstrated. And the complexity is not evidence of intelligent design because we can explain the complexity without resorting to intelligent design (the supernatural).
Klope3 wrote:
Also, evolution still isn't reasonable enough to believe. It hasn't been proven in any way, shape, or form, and it requires pretty huge leaps of faith.

It's been demonstrated and proven in every way possible for over a hundred years now, and it required no leaps of faith at all. I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's simply incorrect.
Klope3 wrote:
At this point, intelligent design looks a whole lot more reasonable than undirected, unintelligent evolution.

That opinion is unsupported by the facts.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:55 pm
I have to tell you lot, this site is proving to be a real eye opener into the general cultural landscape in the USA (I am assuming a large number of the contributors on here are from there). There is a kind a puerile, non-falsifiable religious nonsense spouted by some and a good portion of the rest of the posters (even those who are not of that inclination) seem to feel the need to dance around this bullsh*t out of some kind of sense of reverence for such religious sensibilities without any real hard nosed critique. Obviously, i should emphasise there are some notable exceptions tothe above and I woudl in no way wish to assert they are not present.

I should say though in Europe and, in particular, in the UK this kind of nonsense would be comprehensively and mercilesley ridiculed by the majority. I may be reading this wrong and there are far more non-USA contributors here than I am assuming. But its really is a pronounced cultural difference I am detecting.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:02 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Klope3 wrote:
If God created and designed the universe (which, based on current scientific findings, is reasonable to believe)...

Why is is reasonable to believe? Just because science doesn't rule out God (which it never will), doesn't mean that by lack of address, God is implied. Current scientific findings do not address the concept of God at all, and to the contrary, evidence continues to indicate that natural processes alone are capable of generating the structure of the Universe and the life within it.
Klope3 wrote:
I don't see God deliberately creating the universe and then having intelligent life accidentally evolve without his knowledge.

And maybe that's because "God", whatever that is, didn't create anything. You're jumping to conclusions right off the bat.
Klope3 wrote:
As for actual evidence that directly supports intelligent design, it's ALL AROUND. The problem is that evolutionists assert that the intelligent design theory is wrong and stupid (starting off with the presupposition that everything must have a natural cause)

Starting off with the assumption of natural cause is the very basis of science, it can't proceed from any other point or it wouldn't be science.
Klope3 wrote:
and that evolution is all that makes sense. Don't you think the incredible complexity and durability of life could be completely explained by the presence and involvement of an intelligent designer?

Sure, but it can also be explained without an intelligent designer and that's the point. And that's what science has been doing for centuries now; demonstrating that the natural world is capable of evolving without assistance.
Klope3 wrote:
The complexity (as well as irreducible complexity) is the evidence; ID is the conclusion drawn from that evidence.

There is no irreducible complexity. It's been theorized but never demonstrated. And the complexity is not evidence of intelligent design because we can explain the complexity without resorting to intelligent design (the supernatural).
Klope3 wrote:
Also, evolution still isn't reasonable enough to believe. It hasn't been proven in any way, shape, or form, and it requires pretty huge leaps of faith.

It's been demonstrated and proven in every way possible for over a hundred years now, and it required no leaps of faith at all. I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's simply incorrect.
Klope3 wrote:
At this point, intelligent design looks a whole lot more reasonable than undirected, unintelligent evolution.

Completely agree with these points.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:04 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

It is logically possible to have a conception of science and a conception of religion such that they expound upon each other: for example, Spinoza's stance on God. (though note, Hume describes him as a systematic atheist)

There exists a Christian in the world that believes in the claims of science and the claims of his religion, and he often finds mental connections between the two (I'm citing my father -- so you'll just have to take my word on it). So, if one person exists that does this, I would say that they can be resolved... but that the claims and connotations of science fly in the face of a large number of popular religious beliefs. (I don't know if it's a majority or not, but it's certainly sizable. This is most pronounced in biology, popularly.)

No, we don't have to take your word for it.

It's not sufficient to come out with a load of wooly, fluffy, warm, fuzzy, nice words about how religion and science are mutually suppportive.

Demonstrate in loogical and/or empohirical terms how your assertion stand up.

Otherwise it's rehetorical hot air.
Klope3

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:14 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

It's reasonable to believe because the Big Bang is reasonable to believe, and because the idea that everything exploded from nothing (which was, supposedly, already something to begin with) isn't very reasonable to believe. What about the cosmological constants? The universe has been shown to be very fine-tuned. You can't explain that away by invoking random chance, because then you would need to subscribe to either cosmic rebound or the "multiverse" theory (the former has been more or less disproven, and the latter is totally unverifiable by science).

rosborne979 wrote:

I didn't assume that he created anything--I was going off what I've already said in this thread and, admittedly, other threads as well.

rosborne979 wrote:

So you're saying that, right from the start, science assumes that God is never an explanation? "Assuming God isn't viable, this is a possible explanation for the evidence?" I'm not sure Einstein (or a good number of other well-known scientists) would agree with you.

How about, instead of, "everything has a natural cause," science is, "everything natural has a cause"?

rosborne979 wrote:

I think I could correct you here--science has been demonstrating that many aspects of the natural world are capable of evolving, and some others may also be capable of evolving. Evolution is an explanation, but not necessarily a good explanation.

rosborne979 wrote:

It's been demonstrated as much as its refutations have been demonstrated (in that neither can directly support claims with, say, a laboratory example of complexity developing or not developing on its own). Have you read Michael Behe? Are you proposing that the first cell could come into being, fully capable of nourishing itself, defending itself, and reproducing, either through spontaneous generation or chemical evolution?

rosborne979 wrote:

As far as I know, we haven't even created a single cell under controlled conditions supervised by formidable intelligences (scientists). That demonstrates one particular leap of faith--the assumption that either chemical evolution or spontaneous generation is true, and that the very first cell can come into being completely through undirected natural processes.

rosborne979 wrote:

Facts...what are you referring to? Actual evidence, which has been presented for both theories, or the assertions of evolutionists, which may have been named "facts" for the sake of the theory's progress?
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:18 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

Huxley wrote:

No, we don't have to take your word for it.

It's not sufficient to come out with a load of wooly, fluffy, warm, fuzzy, nice words about how religion and science are mutually suppportive.

Demonstrate in loogical and/or empohirical terms how your assertion stand up.

I should add, your post is the kind of obfuscatory dancing around the incompatabilities at the heart of all creation fairy stories and the scientific enquiry of the natural world. I get the feeling you are possibly doing this for the best of intentions, but ones that are ultimately without emphirical or logical foundation and that this tendency (I have read repeatedly on this forum) is a function of the deeply embedded reverence for religiosity in your country (I am guessing you are from the USA)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:32 pm
@stevecook172001,
There are a number of us here from the USA that agree with what you and rosbourne are posting.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

I have to tell you lot, this site is proving to be a real eye opener into the general cultural landscape in the USA (I am assuming a large number of the contributors on here are from there). There is a kind a puerile, non-falsifiable religious nonsense spouted by some and a good portion of the rest of the posters (even those who are not of that inclination) seem to feel the need to dance around this bullsh*t out of some kind of sense of reverence for such religious sensibilities without any real hard nosed critique. Obviously, i should emphasise there are some notable exceptions tothe above and I woudl in no way wish to assert they are not present.

I should say though in Europe and, in particular, in the UK this kind of nonsense would be comprehensively and mercilesley ridiculed by the majority. I may be reading this wrong and there are far more non-USA contributors here than I am assuming. But its really is a pronounced cultural difference I am detecting.

That's a very interesting observation. I've often wondered what causes that behavior.

I think in the US there is such a strong belief in respecting someone's *right* to freedom of religion, that we often blunt our criticism of particular religious beliefs.

To me, it's reasonable to criticize people's beliefs, while still respecting their right to have those beliefs.
0 Replies