Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:29 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

but I think if you study the subject or religion and spirituality widely and deeply, you will find many elements that cannot be simply explained away as 'figments of the imagination'. In a secular society, this is a very convenient way of dealing with all such things. It is basically denial - you simply deny that any such things are real.But that becomes another belief system.

There are ways of being rational about spirituality and religion. This approach could be described as 'philosophical spirituality'. It is very well represented in both Western and Eastern philosophy.

Identify these elements that cannot be explained.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:31 pm
You can find many real accounts of WW2 in the pages of a Captain America comic book. In 2000 years, will historians look back and say that Captain America was real because they found evidence of WW2, and can validate the locations mentioned in the stories? If so, will people in that time think that the amazing feats of Captain America really happened?

Faith is nothing to hide behind. Using the faith card is a concession, that the idea cannot be defended on it's merits alone.

A
R
T
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:32 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I am not espousing a particular faith-based system. I am a student of comparative religion, philosophy, etc, within which there are many different beliefs, ideas, practices and so on. And on the basis of what I have learned, I challenge the model of 'scientific materialism' which is the default position of the secular outlook. I don't think it stands up; it has holes in it.

Your only "challenge" consists of your own (presumably) internally reliable but externally invalidatable imaginings

Meaning you have nothing to challenge with
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:34 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

You can find many real accounts of WW2 in the pages of a Captain America comic book. In 2000 years, will historians look back and say that Captain America was real because they found evidence of WW2, and can validate the locations mentioned in the stories? If so, will people in that time think that the amazing feats of Captain America really happened?

Faith is nothing to hide behind. Using the faith card is a concession, that the idea cannot be defended on it's merits alone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLpZnv8Vp-E[/youtube]

A
R
T

Yes

Faith is, by definition, a belief in something in the absence of evidence for, if one has evidence, one doesn't need faith
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@jeeprs,
What brings me to my understanding of how the mind works is my observations of neuroscience.
Do I understand it completely? NO and I do not speak with absolutes about things that I do not know for certain. At least I try very hard not to, I am sure that I fail at times.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:00 pm
@stevecook172001,
Science itself no longer supports materialism. So what I challenge materialism with, is that nobody knows what anything really is or really what the f***k is going on, to put it bluntly. Most of us live in a completely artificial world which could vanish in an instant. The financial system almost collapsed less than two years ago, and it could happen again.

According, most individuals have a superficial and confused self-understanding and live in a very shallow, hedonistic society which offers no real depth of understanding, while our Western lifestyle is destroying the environment and driving species to extinction.

You have very stereotyped ideas of what constitutes 'science and religion'. There are wholly new models of both emerging which cut right across all the conventional models.
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:16 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Science itself no longer supports materialism. So what I challenge materialism with, is that nobody knows what anything really is or really what the f***k is going on, to put it bluntly. Most of us live in a completely artificial world which could vanish in an instant. The financial system almost collapsed less than two years ago, and it could happen again.

According, most individuals have a superficial and confused self-understanding and live in a very shallow, hedonistic society which offers no real depth of understanding, while our Western lifestyle is destroying the environment and driving species to extinction.

You have very stereotyped ideas of what constitutes 'science and religion'. There are wholly new models of both emerging which cut right across all the conventional models.

You constantly harp on about "elements" of existence that "cannot be explained away" without mentioning exactly what they are. Similarly, you assert that there are "wholly new models" of explanation of existence without identifying these "models" .

More empty rhetoric in other words

As for whether science can explain all of existence, of course it can't. To expect that it could or should be able to at this point in time is deeply silly. Why does this bother you so much? Why do you have to make up fairy stories that you then assert to be "true" as a consequence?

Are you so unable to cope with the unknown that you have to fill in the gaps with stuff you made up?

What's wrong with you?
durentu

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:20 pm
@amanda phil,
From the book "The Wisdom of Insecurity" - Alan Watts, he makes a distinction between belief and faith.

Belief is the acceptance of truth on the condition that it fits with the current belief system.

Faith is the acceptance of truth without conditions.

Faith is where religion and science meet. Accepting truth without conditions. Religion and science have a tone of belief systems which starts these quarrels and wars that are unnecessary in most cases.

It's with the pursuit of truth, I am now open to being a minister and scientist at the same time.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Yes

Faith is, by definition, a belief in something in the absence of evidence for, if one has evidence, one doesn't need faith

Yes. As John Locke so astutely pointed out, there are those who are only too happy to have evidence for what they believe. But when they find they have no evidence, they suddenly come to the conclusion that they never wanted evidence in the first place, and cry out that only faith is important. Reminds one of La Fontaine's famous fable, "The Fox and the Grapes".
kennethamy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:24 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

And, don't forget, invents the very computers which allow you to register your complaint against the society which invents the computers.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@stevecook172001,
to be honest, there is too much in it to summarize in a forum environment. I have done a lot of reading and research but it is very hard to summarize it in a few paragraphs. I could refer to some books, but generally there is not a lot of point.

I think it is probably time to move on from the forum environment. It has become a habit. I started off on the Dawkins forum a couple of years back, then joined the Philforum in March 09. As you can tell, I am anti-atheist. I don't like 'the new atheism' at all, it has no philosophical depth, in my view, and basically consists of an emotional attachment to normality. But there's only so far you can go in a place like this. I am going to spend some time writing up the main themes I have been exploring into a coherent whole.

Cheers.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

stevecook172001 wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Yes

Yes. As John Locke so astutely pointed out, there are those who are only too happy to have evidence for what they believe. But when they find they have no evidence, they suddenly come to the conclusion that they never wanted evidence in the first place, and cry out that only faith is important. Reminds one of La Fontaine's famous fable, "The Fox and the Grapes".

Actually it was one of Aesop's fables.

If you can't argue with evidence or logic, argue against the use of evidence and logic. It is an argument from envy.

A
R
T
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

stevecook172001 wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Yes

If you can't argue with evidence or logic, argue against the use of evidence and logic. It is an argument from envy.

A
R
T

yes
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:30 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

stevecook172001 wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Yes

A
R
T

Was it Aesop? I should have looked it up. I think it is an argument from desperation.
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

failures art wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

stevecook172001 wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Yes

A
R
T

Was it Aesop? I should have looked it up. I think it is an argument from desperation.

Even more so, yes
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm

science is about nature and the understanding of Nature

religion has absolutely nothing to do with understanding of Nature

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:11 pm
@amanda phil,
I not sure that a religious person can understand this link that I am sharing is not meant to be hateful, but truely it is not because hatefulness is ignorance.
At least I think that hatefulness is ignorance. but what do I know as I am the least among you great thinkers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NRMLyZfNs&NR=1
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:29 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
you can in no way imagine such a realm or the kinds of realities that might exist in it. But just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it does not exist.
Atheists can imagine gods as well as theists can, unless you think that there is some biological distinction between the two. In any case, you seem to have got the point about gods being imaginary, which brings us to the second point. If a person says "god isn't just something you believe--he exists", then that person is claiming that there is an imaginary entity which is part of common reality, and as making such a claim, if one is an adult and speaking seriously, is an act of anti-social violence, the audience has a social responsibility to defend against that attack.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:47 pm
@ughaibu,
Quote:
Atheists can imagine gods as well as theists can,

You can't though. You have no idea. For atheists, they are fictional characters, like Cap'n Crunch or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Heck, on the old forum, a serious comparison was made between God and Mickey Mouse.

Those interested in exploring questions of the nature of divinity embark on a course of discipline, study, meditation, questioning, which occupies many years of life. Without any kind of commitment, nobody will ever form any kind of understanding. And if you start out thinking it is all hot air, then you won't form a commitment, then no study is possible, and so on. THAT is what 'believing' is about. It is instrumental, not hypothetical, if you can appreciate the distinction.
ughaibu

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:52 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
THAT is what 'believing' is about. It is instrumental, not hypothetical, if you can appreciate the distinction.
I'm not interested in beliefs about god, I am talking about the claim that god is not a matter of belief.