Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

Does his noodliness respect the conclusions of science?

Does you theist god respect the conclusions of science?
Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:28 pm
@stevecook172001,
Does my theist God? When did I enter into this?

I would think that my initial argument would indicate that science reveals God, so supposing that my initial argument is.. my theist God... then I suppose, yes. Which is exactly what I was saying from the beginning: That there exists a conception of science and religion such that they can be mutually relevant.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

Does my theist God? When did I enter into this?

I would think that my initial argument would indicate that science reveals God, so supposing that my initial argument is.. my theist God... then I suppose, yes. Which is exactly what I was saying from the beginning: That there exists a conception of science and religion such that they can be mutually relevant.

The mere repition of an arbitary, non-falsifiable assertion does not make it "real".

It seems that this is something that you are not going to grasp no matter how it is explained to you and so I there is little point in making any further effort in that regard. Hopefully, more rational readers on here will have benefited from this debate. If so, then that is worthwhile in itself I guess.
Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@stevecook172001,
Well, do note: Falsifiable assertions aren't true either (I take that to be what you mean by "real"). They're a set of existential statements that cause one to abandon a general principal. That general principal only has a set of possible explanations -- it doesn't actually say what is. This general principal and those existential statements, themselves, are only accepted when we feel satisfied with them. That's straight out of Popper, which seems to be where you're coming from now by quickly attaching on "Falsifiable" as a criteria, after I gave you a logical explication.

What's more, stating a concept is, indeed, enough to show that the conception exists. I'm not really deep-ending anything, here. Spinoza is pretty well known Philosophy stuff. link
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:53 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

Well, do note: Falsifiable assertions aren't true either (I take that to be what you mean by "real"). They're a set of existential statements that cause one to abandon a general principal. That general principal only has a set of possible explanations -- it doesn't actually say what is. This general principal and those existential statements, themselves, are only accepted when we feel satisfied with them. That's straight out of Popper, which seems to be where you're coming from now by quickly attaching on "Falsifiable" as a criteria, after I gave you a logical explication.

What's more, stating a concept is, indeed, enough to show that the conception exists. I'm not really deep-ending anything, here. Spinoza is pretty well known Philosophy stuff. link

Ah, so you are now accepting that your conception is just that and no more than that.

A conception.

Being so, it has absolutely no claim to falsifiability (capable of being disproved), or validatability (capable of being independantly verified by reference to an external phenomena).

In other words, it's just stuff that's made up. Of course, that doesn't stop it existing as a neuronal pattern in people's brains. It doesn't make it true either even if every human on Earth shared it as a neuronal pattern in their brains.
Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
@stevecook172001,
I never said otherwise. Check back, yo. I told you that you misinterpreted my first post.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:55 pm
@stevecook172001,
Your approach has a number of problems. The major one is the idea that reality exists 'out there' and our ideas, words, numbers and so on 'correspond' to the reality. This sounds quite obvious but it is actually very problematic. This is because reality is actually a`cognitive construct which is created by the neurological and cognitive systems 'on the fly'. See 'the World as Will and Representation' by Schopenhauer for details, although it is useful to have an idea of Kant first. Besides that, nobody has a definitive idea of what really is 'out there'. You keep appealing to this as if it is a matter of common sense and everyone knows what is real. At time of writing, the nature of matter itself is still subject to intense investigation at the LHC, and 95% of the mass of the universe cannot be accounted for. So it might be wise to stop sounding as though the nature of reality is perfectly obvious and clear to all. It is very far from it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:
Based on the complexity of life (characterized by a whole boatload of examples), it is reasonable to assert that there is an intelligent designer. This would pretty much explain everything there is to explain about life. Also based on the complexity of life, it is reasonable (though not intuitive) to assert that life came to be through random chance and progressive, minute changes. This could also explain pretty much all of life's components. However, if there is a God (which is reasonable to believe, based on evidence already discussed), it is much easier, logically, to assert that he created life intelligently than to assert that life came about due to random chance. Life accidentally happening is extremely unlikely. Therefore, it requires more evidence/reasoning for support than the more reasonable conclusion of design. If that evidence/reasoning, when inevitably provided, isn't adequate, then evolution automatically becomes less reasonable than the alternative. This alternative (intelligent design) is therefore *more* reasonable to believe.

That said, yes, that is my general defense. It seems like an okay defense to me.

Are you familiar with Occam's Razor? It pretty much wrecks your defense right out of the gate.
Klope3 wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
The Universe is not fine-tuned for us. We are fine-tuned for it. There is a 100% probability that the life within any universe will observe that universe to be compatible with that life.

I wasn't specifically addressing fine-tuning for us. I was also referring to fine-tuning in general. Such as the fine-tuning that allows the universe to not collapse back on itself; the fine-tuning that makes laws of physics possible; the very fine-tuning that makes the structure of the atom.

The basic principle of what I was suggesting applies to everything, not just "life". We are only here to question the "fine tuning" of things because it's possible within this Universe. How many billions of Universes may have come and gone before without anyone ever complaining about their lack of fine tuning, simply because they collapsed immediately. The probability is squarely in our favor.

Klope3 wrote:
Again, you can't explain away that fine-tuning (completely forgetting for a moment about compatibility with life) with random chance, for the reasons I already stated in my previous post.

You are also conveniently leaving out Selection whenever you mention Random Chance. If Random Chance alone was all that affected the system then you might have a point, but it's not. Far from it. Selection is critical, and powerful.

Klope3 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Correct. That's the way it works.

Forgive me, but that sounds like bias, pure and simple. Your statement suggests that even if every single shred of scientific evidence pointed toward the existence of God, good scientists would reject such a conclusion simply because "God doesn't exist, duh." It would be like, in a murder trial, rejecting conclusive evidence just because, "you know, the suspect didn't do it."

I'm just reciting the dictionary definition of science. I don't need to justify it.

Klope3 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Because that's not the way it works.

Quite vague...would you explain why you say this?

I believe you were invoking the supernatural... which is not the way science works.

Klope3 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
I'm very familiar with Michael Behe. I've been to this rodeo before.
Behe's theories are simply wrong. Besides being based on a flawed premise, they went down in dramatic flames in the Dover trial.

My finite knowledge is (remarkably) limited...believe it or not, I haven't heard of the Dover trial. My apologies; for now, I'll look into it.

It's a lot of fun. I'm sure you'll like it. Somewhere here on A2K there is a very long and wonderful thread on that trial. We followed it closely in real-time. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

Klope3 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Of course not. That's creationist propaganda. Evolution doesn't predict that nor require it.

Are you really going to say this? It severely weakens your case. How does evolution NOT require it? If the first cell didn't come into existence by undirected natural processes, then where DID it come from? Furthermore, wouldn't that mean that all other life wouldn't need to come from undirected natural processes, either? Please do explain to me how the evolution theory can hold any water if it claims that the first cell did not evolve or spontaneously come into being.

Cells are too complex to evolve spontaneously. There are also several threads here on A2K which delv deeply into Abiogenesis and how it may happen. The discussions are extensive. I'll try to locate that thread for you as well.

But to summarize: The biological theory of evolution says nothing about how life began, it only describes how live evolves and has evolved. However, there is clearly an implication based on Evolution and within the basic tenets of science that life must have come about through natural processes in process of descent with modification (just evolution run backwards). The precise mechanisms of this which were required before DNA had arisen are still in debate. But nobody in those debates thinks that a full blown CELL came about spontaneously.

Klope3 wrote:
P.S. Actually, I was a member of the once-standalone Philosophy Forum, which has obviously merged with this site. I come here after being a member of that previous site for what my have been approaching a month. Not that it relates to the current discussion at all...

Nice to have you here. We have a long history on A2K with Evolution discussions. You're in for a very large bite of science if you hang around. Welcome to the board.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:56 pm
There is an alternative view to that of an intelligent designer, which is that life cannot be understood in terms of physics and chemistry. There are higher-level laws that come into play that govern the emergence of complex phenomena that are not well understood at this time.
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm

since when has religion have anything to do with science ?

religion has to do with social behaviour between Human beings AND THATS ALL , show me within any religious writings that increases our understanding of the Earth for example ? none

whereas SCIENCE has to do with understanding of Nature , the Earth , planets , galaxies and the Universe
0 Replies

Klope3

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Are you familiar with Occam's Razor? It pretty much wrecks your defense right out of the gate.

If you're suggesting that evolution is the simpler (and therefore true) explanation, I would sharply contend with that. It requires lots of explanation to explain how random chance can evolve life. I would suggest that evolution is the far more complicated explanation. (Forgive me if I didn't understand your point.)

rosborne979 wrote:
The basic principle of what I was suggesting applies to everything, not just "life". We are only here to question the "fine tuning" of things because it's possible within this Universe. How many billions of Universes may have come and gone before without anyone ever complaining about their lack of fine tuning, simply because they collapsed immediately. The probability is squarely in our favor.

Just because we're here to question the fine-tuning doesn't mean it's irrational for us to question it. How does the question of "how did the universe become fine-tuned enough to survive itself" not still stand?

rosborne979 wrote:
You are also conveniently leaving out Selection whenever you mention Random Chance. If Random Chance alone was all that affected the system then you might have a point, but it's not. Far from it. Selection is critical, and powerful.

I've heard what Dawkins has said about the nature of natural selection, and it seems like nonsense to me. The entire premise of evolution is random chance. Natural selection would only happen BECAUSE OF random chance. "Oops, after millions of years, one in this species of creatures randomly developed an eye. There it goes, off to reproduce and make more creatures with eyes."

rosborne979 wrote:
I'm just reciting the dictionary definition of science. I don't need to justify it.

Please cite the dictionary you're using, and use the exact wording from that dictionary.

rosborne979 wrote:
Cells are too complex to evolve spontaneously. There are also several threads here on A2K which delv deeply into Abiogenesis and how it may happen. The discussions are extensive. I'll try to locate that thread for you as well.

Okay, so spontaneous generation is out of the question for now. You still believe chemical evolution (another name for abiogenesis) produced the first cell?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3 wrote:

If you're suggesting that evolution is the simpler (and therefore true) explanation, I would sharply contend with that. It requires lots of explanation to explain how random chance can evolve life. I would suggest that evolution is the far more complicated explanation. (Forgive me if I didn't understand your point.)

We already know that evolution happened and is happening. So either a creator is actively involved in tweaking a system which doesn't need tweaking, or the creator initiated the system and is letting it run. The former is ridiculous and the latter conflicts with Occam's Razor.
Klope3 wrote:

Just because we're here to question the fine-tuning doesn't mean it's irrational for us to question it. How does the question of "how did the universe become fine-tuned enough to survive itself" not still stand?

Because it's not fine tuned. That's just a subjective judgement you are making. As I said before, there is a 100% certainty that the Universe would appear to be tuned in a manner for life to question it, since only then would life *be* questioning it.

Klope3 wrote:
I've heard what Dawkins has said about the nature of natural selection, and it seems like nonsense to me. The entire premise of evolution is random chance.

Evolution has three basic components which allow it to function: Reproduction, Variation and Natural Selection. All are equally necessary to the process. Random Chance is not the entire premise of evolution.

Klope3 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Please cite the dictionary you're using, and use the exact wording from that dictionary.

Ok, you got me. I just made that all up. Science isn't based on Methodological Naturalism at all. Any theory is acceptable to science, magic elves, pixie dust etc, we just don't see much of that in scientific literature because it doesn't sound "scientific".

Klope3 wrote:
Okay, so spontaneous generation is out of the question for now. You still believe chemical evolution (another name for abiogenesis) produced the first cell?

Pretty much.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@rosborne979,

Quote:
Because it's not fine tuned. That's just a subjective judgement you are making.

But it is nevertheless true that there are a number of fundamental constants which might easily have been otherwise, and which appear to exist within an exceedingly narrow range, for no reason that science can discern. If any of them had been different by a fraction of a percentage, matter would not have formed, and nothing would exist. There is nothing subjective about this whatever. The fact that 'it had to be so, or we would not be around to comment on it' does not amount to any kind of rebuttal of it.

See the Anthropic Cosmological Principle by Barrow and Wheeler for the details. Also Paul Davies The Goldilocks Enigma. He compares the spontaneous generation of the cosmic order we see to the odds of a sequence generator spontaneously outputting the value of Pi.

We also burden the theory of evolution with far too much weight. All it explains is the origin of species, and it actually does not explain that very well, because the exact process by which one species gives rise to another is still far from understood. And abiolgenesis is in the realm of science fiction, although because it has 'science' in the title, most people will believe it is not fiction.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Klope3 wrote:
You still believe chemical evolution (another name for abiogenesis) produced the first cell?
Pretty much.
Endosymbiosis offers a plausible model for the process.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
there are a number of fundamental constants which might easily have been otherwise, and which appear to exist within an exceedingly narrow range, for no reason that science can discern.
These constants are values, with a mathematical function, that are irreducibly empirical. The idea that they have values for any independent reason is nonsense.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
But it is nevertheless true that there are a number of fundamental constants which might easily have been otherwise, and which appear to exist within an exceedingly narrow range, for no reason that science can discern. If any of them had been different by a fraction of a percentage, matter would not have formed, and nothing would exist.

And if that were the case we would not be here to ask the question... right?

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:47 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

I once saw a video which described a very reasonable sequence of events which could have taken us from chemicals to replicative life, but I'll be damned if I can find it again. I've looked around and I just can't remember where I saw it. It was probably one one of the other A2K threads, but some of them are years long and it's buried.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:50 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Endosymbiotic theory doesn't address the rudimentary transition from chemicals to replicative molecules, and that's where most challenges to abiogenesis start. Once replication starts, then evolution takes over.
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:54 pm

science can not yet explain how non-living chemistry can produce living things
ughaibu

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:56 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Endosymbiotic theory doesn't address the rudimentary transition from chemicals to replicative molecules, and that's where most challenges to abiogenesis start. Once replication starts, then evolution takes over.
No, but it offers a plausible model for how chemicals come to form cells. (I'm extending the model so that the "bio" element can be deleted.)