Can science and religion be mutually relevant?

MuchToLearn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:38 pm
stevecook
“There is a kind a puerile, non-falsifiable religious nonsense spouted by some and a good portion of the rest of the posters (even those who are not of that inclination) seem to feel the need to dance around this bullsh*t out of some kind of sense of reverence for such religious sensibilities without any real hard nosed critique.”
“I should say though in Europe and, in particular, in the UK this kind of nonsense would be comprehensively and mercilesley ridiculed by the majority. I may be reading this wrong and there are far more non-USA contributors here than I am assuming. But its really is a pronounced cultural difference I am detecting.”

Well Stevecook what can we do? Burn them at the stake? Ban them? Cut out their vocal cords? How about pecking them to death? Oh I see, just “mercilessly ridicule”.

I can see that this is very agonizing and upsetting to you, it really must be tough knowing that “religious sensibilities” will be around long after your perfectly rational compartmentalized sensibilities are long gone.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:52 pm
@MuchToLearn,
If the discussion is to take a personal turn, I will keep out of it for the present.
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:55 pm
@stevecook172001,
God is the universe.
Science is a process by which one learns about the universe
Therefore, by substitution, science is a process by which one learns about God.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:57 pm
@Klope3,
First of all, let me welcome you to the forum Klope3. It's been a long time since we've had anyone here who chose to try to defend the various forms of ID and IR and Creationism. I wish you luck, although I suspect you'll run into the same meatgrinder of facts that chewed up all the defenders before you.

Klope3 wrote:
It's reasonable to believe because the Big Bang is reasonable to believe, and because the idea that everything exploded from nothing (which was, supposedly, already something to begin with) isn't very reasonable to believe.

So you're basing your belief on your feeling that the alternative doesn't seem reasonable to you? Is that your defense?
Klope3 wrote:
What about the cosmological constants? The universe has been shown to be very fine-tuned.

The Universe is not fine-tuned for us. We are fine-tuned for it. There is a 100% probability that the life within any universe will observe that universe to be compatible with that life.
Klope3 wrote:
You can't explain that away by invoking random chance,

Random chance has nothing to do with it. As I said, there is an absolute certainty that we would exist only in a universe that was capable of supporting us.
Klope3 wrote:
So you're saying that, right from the start, science assumes that God is never an explanation?

Correct. That's the way it works.
Klope3 wrote:
How about, instead of, "everything has a natural cause," science is, "everything natural has a cause"?

Because that's not the way it works.
Klope3 wrote:
It's been demonstrated as much as its refutations have been demonstrated (in that neither can directly support claims with, say, a laboratory example of complexity developing or not developing on its own). Have you read Michael Behe?

I'm very familiar with Michael Behe. I've been to this rodeo before.
Behe's theories are simply wrong. Besides being based on a flawed premise, they went down in dramatic flames in the Dover trial.
Klope3 wrote:
Are you proposing that the first cell could come into being, fully capable of nourishing itself, defending itself, and reproducing, either through spontaneous generation or chemical evolution?

Of course not. That's creationist propaganda. Evolution doesn't predict that nor require it.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

God is the universe.

Word games. You're just defining God and Universe to mean the same thing.

That's perfectly fine for your own definitions, but it doesn't really address the issue for most people who don't see them as equivalent concepts.

Do you consider yourself a Deist?
dalesvp

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:02 pm
@amanda phil,
amanda phil wrote:

Can science and religion be mutually relevant with reference to evolution, intellegent design, cosmology, etc?

"Can science and religion be mutually relevant?"
It depends on your definition of "science" and "religion".

"Can science and religion be mutually relevant with reference to evolution, intellegent design, cosmology, etc?"
Not likely because evolution, intelligent design and cosmology are all hypothetical. It would be talking about talking....

As science expands to encompass the functions of higher quantum states and their activities it begins to interface with spiritual actualities such as telepathy and other Mind associated phenomena. And it is here where true science and awakened spirituality (not dogmatic beliefs) will meet and be mutually relevant to one another.

http://pondscienceinstitute.on-rev.com/svpwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Faith+by+Science+-+The+Dawn+of+a+New+Order+of+Things

Mind over and in Matter - a proven fact
http://pondscienceinstitute.on-rev.com/svpwiki/tiki-index.php?page=P.E.A.R.+Proposition

Religion, as currently established, can never embrace true science. There will have to be another Reformation of Epochal (Biblical) Proportions within the psyche of humanity before these two noble pursuits will be allowed to merge - as they eventually will.
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@rosborne979,
I do not.

My only point was to say that there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other. As there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other, the two can be mutually relevant.

You'll note in my first post I stated that scientific pronouncements often conflict with popular religious conceptions (most notably in biology).
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:30 pm
@MuchToLearn,
MuchToLearn wrote:

stevecook
“There is a kind a puerile, non-falsifiable religious nonsense spouted by some and a good portion of the rest of the posters (even those who are not of that inclination) seem to feel the need to dance around this bullsh*t out of some kind of sense of reverence for such religious sensibilities without any real hard nosed critique.”
“I should say though in Europe and, in particular, in the UK this kind of nonsense would be comprehensively and mercilesley ridiculed by the majority. I may be reading this wrong and there are far more non-USA contributors here than I am assuming. But its really is a pronounced cultural difference I am detecting.”

Well Stevecook what can we do? Burn them at the stake? Ban them? Cut out their vocal cords? How about pecking them to death? Oh I see, just “mercilessly ridicule”.

I can see that this is very agonizing and upsetting to you, it really must be tough knowing that “religious sensibilities” will be around long after your perfectly rational compartmentalized sensibilities are long gone.

Merciless ridicule will suffice very well thank you.

Though, I might note, you appear to have significantly missed the irony of your suggestion that I might consider the possibilities of burning at the stake, banning and physical mutilation as these have historically tended to be the preferred methods of supressing dissent by every damned religion since the dawn of civlilisation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:
My only point was to say that there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other.

Well, sure. But just changing the meaning of words to accomplish the relevance seems kind of inane.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:46 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

I do not.

My only point was to say that there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other. As there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other, the two can be mutually relevant.

You'll note in my first post I stated that scientific pronouncements often conflict with popular religious conceptions (most notably in biology).

So, by logical extension...

It is my viewpoint (thus, such a viewpoint exists) that a capacity for humans to fly unaided is complimented by the known laws of physics. As there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other, the two can be mutually relevant

The assertion that something is true simply by virtue of the fact of the assertion is the kind of peurile nonsense to which my previous post referred.

0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There are a number of us here from the USA that agree with what you and rosbourne are posting.

Thank you and yes, indeed. I would in no way wish to diminish the fact that there is real critcal analysis going on Edgar. It's the volume, or rather lack of it, that has surprised me.

Though, I should say, I am very happy to report this thread is shaping up to be an ample demonstration of the opposite of my overall observation
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Huxley wrote:
My only point was to say that there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other.

Well, sure. But just changing the meaning of words to accomplish the relevance seems kind of inane.

*shrugs* Perhaps. Supposedly Einstein believed in Spinoza's God, though I'm not sure how deep that went or whence that conclusion is drawn. Either way, Spinoza believed in Spinoza's God, and if we're going to be scientific realists, the above follows just fine.

As I'm not in the business of believing in His existence, I'm not going to argue about which definition of God one ought to be arguing about. It's not like the definition of God is some unchanging constant.

stevecook172001 wrote:

Huxley wrote:

I do not.

So, by logical extension...

It is my viewpoint (thus, such a viewpoint exists) that a capacity for humans to fly unaided is complimented by the known laws of physics. As there exists a viewpoint in which both compliment the other, the two can be mutually relevant

The assertion that something is true simply by virtue of the fact of the assertion is the kind of peurile nonsense to which my previous post referred.

You missed your reply. I'll repost the argument for you.

God is the universe.

What's more, you misinterpreted my first post. This argument was implied by my Spinoza reference. Before pointing out my puerile nonsense it may help your rhetorical style to actually respond to what's being said.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:
It's not like the definition of God is some unchanging constant.

That's for sure.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

....God is the universe.
Therefore, by substitution, science is a process by which one learns about God. ...

Self-contained nonsense of the highest order of the type that religious ideologies are only too well known. You conflate two unconnected ideas as a function of your own arbitary preference. You then use the above arbitary conflation as "evidence" of an assertion.

You God botherers really do need to get used to the idea that holding an unfalsifiable belief does not make it "true" merely as as function of holding it. If you wish to engage in grown-up debate with other humans who are likely to hold contrary views to yourself, you really do need to provide substantiation for these wildly implausable assertions. Either of a logical or, ideally, emphirical nature.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
Some Einstein quotes on Spinoza
Quote:
I can understand your aversion to the use of the term 'religion' to describe an emotional and psychological attitude which shows itself most clearly in Spinoza... I have not found a better expression than 'religious' for the trust in the rational nature of reality that is, at least to a certain extent, accessible to human reason.

Quote:
I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.

Quote:
I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's pantheism, but admire even more his contributions to modern thought because he is the first philosopher to deal with the soul and the body as one, not two separate things.

All from WIKIQUOTES
Klope3

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:26 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
So you're basing your belief on your feeling that the alternative doesn't seem reasonable to you? Is that your defense?

Based on the complexity of life (characterized by a whole boatload of examples), it is reasonable to assert that there is an intelligent designer. This would pretty much explain everything there is to explain about life. Also based on the complexity of life, it is reasonable (though not intuitive) to assert that life came to be through random chance and progressive, minute changes. This could also explain pretty much all of life's components. However, if there is a God (which is reasonable to believe, based on evidence already discussed), it is much easier, logically, to assert that he created life intelligently than to assert that life came about due to random chance. Life accidentally happening is extremely unlikely. Therefore, it requires more evidence/reasoning for support than the more reasonable conclusion of design. If that evidence/reasoning, when inevitably provided, isn't adequate, then evolution automatically becomes less reasonable than the alternative. This alternative (intelligent design) is therefore *more* reasonable to believe.

That said, yes, that is my general defense. It seems like an okay defense to me.

rosborne979 wrote:
The Universe is not fine-tuned for us. We are fine-tuned for it. There is a 100% probability that the life within any universe will observe that universe to be compatible with that life.

I wasn't specifically addressing fine-tuning for us. I was also referring to fine-tuning in general. Such as the fine-tuning that allows the universe to not collapse back on itself; the fine-tuning that makes laws of physics possible; the very fine-tuning that makes the structure of the atom.

Again, you can't explain away that fine-tuning (completely forgetting for a moment about compatibility with life) with random chance, for the reasons I already stated in my previous post.

rosborne979 wrote:
Correct. That's the way it works.

Forgive me, but that sounds like bias, pure and simple. Your statement suggests that even if every single shred of scientific evidence pointed toward the existence of God, good scientists would reject such a conclusion simply because "God doesn't exist, duh." It would be like, in a murder trial, rejecting conclusive evidence just because, "you know, the suspect didn't do it."

rosborne979 wrote:
Because that's not the way it works.

Quite vague...would you explain why you say this?

rosborne979 wrote:
I'm very familiar with Michael Behe. I've been to this rodeo before.
Behe's theories are simply wrong. Besides being based on a flawed premise, they went down in dramatic flames in the Dover trial.

My finite knowledge is (remarkably) limited...believe it or not, I haven't heard of the Dover trial. My apologies; for now, I'll look into it.

rosborne979 wrote:
Of course not. That's creationist propaganda. Evolution doesn't predict that nor require it.

Are you really going to say this? It severely weakens your case. How does evolution NOT require it? If the first cell didn't come into existence by undirected natural processes, then where DID it come from? Furthermore, wouldn't that mean that all other life wouldn't need to come from undirected natural processes, either? Please do explain to me how the evolution theory can hold any water if it claims that the first cell did not evolve or spontaneously come into being.

If you can't accept that the first cell came to be in such unlikely ways, then perhaps you "don't have enough faith to be an atheist" (a reference to a certain book).

P.S. Actually, I was a member of the once-standalone Philosophy Forum, which has obviously merged with this site. I come here after being a member of that previous site for what my have been approaching a month. Not that it relates to the current discussion at all...
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Some Einstein quotes on Spinoza
Quote:
I can understand your aversion to the use of the term 'religion' to describe an emotional and psychological attitude which shows itself most clearly in Spinoza... I have not found a better expression than 'religious' for the trust in the rational nature of reality that is, at least to a certain extent, accessible to human reason.

Quote:
I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.

Quote:
I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's pantheism, but admire even more his contributions to modern thought because he is the first philosopher to deal with the soul and the body as one, not two separate things.

All from WIKIQUOTES

What are these quotes supposed to be demonstrative of
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:33 pm
@stevecook172001,
You think no one believes in the above?

If one were to believe in the above, then no matter how many times you spew on about empiricism and nonsensical conflations, the argument is logical. That was the criteria. What's more, I do see the universe, so I think I have your empirical criteria satisfied as well.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

You think no one believes in the above?

If one were to believe in the above, then no matter how many times you spew on about empiricism and nonsensical conflations, the argument is logical. That was the criteria. What's more, I do see the universe, so I think I have your empirical criteria satisfied as well.

Hang on a minute.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a view is both logical and/or true, merely as a function of it being held?

Ok then, let’s try that one out shall we....

I believe that a Spaghetti Monster created the universe and everything that is in it.

We Pastafarians believe that evidence for the existence of His Great Noodlyness is obvious and apparent in every aspect of the world we see around us and that our beliefs are both logical and true merely as a function of our holding them.

In fact, so profoundly is our belief tied to our own sense of identity that we will take very unkindly indeed against anyone who has the temerity to call our beliefs into question.

I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this. Whaddaya think?

Huxley

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
@stevecook172001,
Does his noodliness respect the conclusions of science?