is adultery a crime?

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:00 pm
Yes it is a crime,
Marriage is more than lovey dovey, it is a legal document, so unless it is written into said document it is breaking the law.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:01 pm
if adultery is wrong, i don't ever want to be right

wait, what Confused
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
if adultery is wrong, i don't ever want to be right

wait, what Confused
Well, if u steal another man 's wife . . . he might deem that a great injury.

Stealing horses used to be a hanging offense.

David
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
i have no desire to have sex with another mans horse

for the record i have no desire to have sex with any horse, well except maybe sarah jessica parker

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, but horses used to be valuable transportation.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:05 pm
The downfall of a horse theivery analogy is that unlike a wife horses are not presumed to have free will, the ability to make rational choices, or the ability to voluntarily enter a contract.

It is possible that adultry laws are holdovers from times where a bride was a business transaction, which would make the horse analogy much more appropriate.
mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:12 pm
Hi all,
You can be put to death for such an act in certain countries. You can repent if "Christian" be thee. If the law of the land you choose to live in forbids it, you should follow the law or relocate. IMO You commit adultery just by thinking beyond your premise, married or not.
Have a fantastic day, all.
Mark..
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
The downfall of a horse theivery analogy is that unlike a wife horses are not presumed to have free will, the ability to make rational choices, or the ability to voluntarily enter a contract.

I am guessing, from this statement, that you don't have a wife.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:33 pm
@ebrown p,
I do have a wife, and I have had horses. And although I would sometimes think that the horse had free will, I have never been tempted to have it enter into a legal contract.
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:35 pm
@GoshisDead,
They can't sign anyway, what with the whole opposable thumbs issue and all. Er, horses, not wives. Many wives have opposable thumbs.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
@GoshisDead,
Well, that's it! We let them enter into contracts, we gave them the vote, and now we wonder why they want to rule the world.

But I digress. . . .
ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:38 pm
@jespah,
I would say the ability to make rational choices is more important then opposable thumbs (although sewing might be a bit difficult without them).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:40 pm
i've never understood the animal kingdom's (excluding humans) opposition to thumbs, i quite like mine
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:55 pm
@roger,
Sorry guys, getting used to the tenor in this new forum, lots more quipping and levity promoted here.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:01 pm
@GoshisDead,
It does seem like someone has only to mention horses, and we are off to the races - so to speak. Sorry.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
When it was discovered that Corona was married, the adultery charge was added. She faces up to 90 days in jail or a $500 fine.

Sometimes states have old, obscure laws dating back to the last century or something. Maybe this adultery law in NY is one of those? I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's a crime in all states.

For instance, in Florida, if you tie an elephant to a parking meter, you must pay the same parking fee as you would for a vehicle. You probably don't have that same law in New Mexico.

Or, in Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth constitutes simple assault, but biting someone with your false teeth classifies as aggravated assault.

Also, it's illegal to take a French Poodle to the opera in Illinois, but it might be perfectly fine to do so in Kalamazoo, MI.

I'm Under Arrest for What? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

Smile

0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:05 pm
So is this a discussion of silly laws or a discussion about the ethics of outdated or potentially right violating laws?
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:07 pm
@GoshisDead,
either or, we're not fussy here
Irishk

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@djjd62,
I figured Dyslexia isn't all that fussy...from posts I've read -- so I felt relatively safe adding some sillyness. I'll watch my manners more closely with some of the other folks LOL.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

So is this a discussion of silly laws or a discussion about the ethics of outdated or potentially right violating laws?
please to note this thread is posted as a question not a discussion----"is adultery a crime?"