The necessary truth of any truth

ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
1) if Kennethamy isn't necessarily mortal, then he is possibly immortal
2) take the case in which Kennethamy is immortal in all worlds other than the actual world
3) lacking a reason to limit possible worlds to a countable infinity, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero.
what is relevant is this: it does not follow from: (1) Necessarily, if p then q, that (2) Necessarily q.
How is that relevant?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:50 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
1) if Kennethamy isn't necessarily mortal, then he is possibly immortal
2) take the case in which Kennethamy is immortal in all worlds other than the actual world
3) lacking a reason to limit possible worlds to a countable infinity, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero.
what is relevant is this: it does not follow from: (1) Necessarily, if p then q, that (2) Necessarily q.
How is that relevant?

It is disappointing, but I will explain once again. The present discussion had to do with the contention that a valid argument has a conclusion that was a necessary truth. You yourself began this discussion by saying that Aristotle's famous argument about Socrates and mortality was "silly". Now it wasn't clear to me why you said that, but it appeared that you did because you thought that a valid argument's conclusion, and, in particular that valid argument's conclusion ought to be a necessary truth, and if it wasn't the argument was "silly". Now that reasoning (such as it was) escaped me. But it was certainly relevant to explain just why the conclusion of a valid argument need not be a necessary truth as you thought it should be on pain of the argument's being silly. And, that is what I did. This recapitulation of the issue should not have been necessary, but apparently it was since you seem to have lost the thread-in more than one sense of that word.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:28 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
The priciple of identity: "A is A" holds even when "A happens to be A" instead of "A must be A". Do you recognize this?

No, I don't: "A just happens to be A" means it could be anything, including B, or C, and so on. The principle of identity has gone directly to hell.

Night Ripper wrote:
Every truth either happens to be true or must be true but it's a mistake to claim that all truths are exclusively in a single category.

You are confusing "every truth must be true" with "every truth must have been true." It is in fact very simple: a truth, if it is indeed a truth, must be true. Don't waste your time fighting that.

Night Ripper wrote:
Here's the point your reasoning fails:

Aha, finally.

Night Ripper wrote:
(c) If something is identical to itself - A is A - then it cannot be different from itself, since nothing can be different from itself while being identical to itself.

Because this is false. A is A means that it doesn't happen to be different from itself since if it were it would not be A. There's nothing necessary there.

1. A is identical to itself.
2. A cannot be different from itself without ceasing to be identical to itself.
3. A cannot be different from itself. (1, 2)

Are you telling me that "a cannot be different from itself" does not mean that A must be identical to itself?
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:36 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Let me say something a bit less vulgar about "it happens"...there is nothing more necessary then it. Is self NECESSARY!
( if not to be caused thats what FACTS are! )

I'm not convinced of that and I don't think there's any logic behind it. From what I can see, all physical states of affairs are contingent, that is, there's nothing necessary about the existence of the universe, the rising of the sun or the orbits of electrons. There could be absolutely nothing at all but by chance, there isn't. There is something. The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".

And a false truth is like an unmarried bachelor, so every truth must be true.
guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:42 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".
But what does this mean? As far as I can see, all it means is that a thing can only be said to be that which it is said to be, and that appears to be a trivial observation.

It can be said that all sound deductive arguments are trivial.

1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.

Sure it's trivial but it's still useful since it makes explicit that which was once only implicit.

Despite classic logic having its merit, it also has its demerits: it is useless when either the principle of contradiction or the principle of the excluded middle fail, which is pretty much all of the time: two centuries ago, the newborn science could believe the world to be classical. This is no longer the case.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.
Okay. Does this mean that Socrates "is" necessarily mortal?
No.
So the conclusion of the argument should be something like "Socrates is mortal but might not be"?
Might means if, but if does not apply does it?
If Socrates isn't necessarily mortal, then there is a possible world in which Socrates is not mortal. Those who support the idea of necessity seem to be faced with a choice; either hold the position that Socrates is possibly immortal, in which case the cliched syllogism seems a little silly, or forget about claiming that some species of nebulous appeal to contingency accounts for questions of fallibilism, regularist laws, etc.

Why is the syllogism, all men are mortal, Socrates is a man, so Socrates is mortal silly if it is possible that Socrates is immortal. The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth. You seem to be committing the modal fallacy too. It does not follow from the fact that the proposition that Socrates is moral necessarily follow from the premise, that the conclusion itself is a necessary truth. In other words:

Necessarily, if all men are mortal, and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal which is true, does not entail that necessarily Socrates is mortal. It could not, since the first (conditional) proposition is true, and the second proposition is false, and a true proposition cannot entail a false proposition.

When it comes to classic logic, no one beats this guy! It seem fine: if all men are mortal and if Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal. But who would assert "all men are mortal" to be false? I wouldn't, at least for the next 20 years. And who would assert Socrates to be a horse (which would still leave him as mortal)? Then, Socrates is necessarily mortal - and if this is not enough to convince you, then remember that he already died.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth.
As a matter of form, are you confirming the conclusion that Socrates is mortal but might not be?

I don't know what you are asking.

He's asking if you agree that Socrates is mortal but might not be.
guigus

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth.
As a matter of form, are you confirming the conclusion that Socrates is mortal but might not be?

I don't know what you are asking. But as a matter of fact, since Socrates is dead, he was mortal, but since the proposition, "Socrates exists" is a contingent proposition as all propositions that imply existence are, and all true contingent propositions might not be true, therefore, the proposition that Socrates exists might not be true. But what is relevant is that although the proposition, if all men are mortal, and if Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth, it does not follow from that, that the proposition Socrates is mortal is (itself) a necessary truth. To think it does follow is to commit the modal fallacy.

Tell me, what would be for something to be necessarily true "in itself"? Doesn't necessity always need something in relation to which something else becomes necessary? How could poor Socrates be necessarily mortal "in himself," and not in relation to his human condition, to his physiology, to the physical world, and so on? How could his mortality be an absolute necessity? Weren't you the one to say that existence in itself is contingent?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:44 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

I don't know what you are asking. But as a matter of fact, since Socrates is dead, he was mortal, but since the proposition, "Socrates exists" is a contingent proposition as all propositions that imply existence are, and all true contingent propositions might not be true, therefore, the proposition that Socrates exists might not be true. But what is relevant is that although the proposition, if all men are mortal, and if Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth, it does not follow from that, that the proposition Socrates is mortal is (itself) a necessary truth. To think it does follow is to commit the modal fallacy.

Tell me, what would be for something to be necessarily true "in itself"? Doesn't necessity always need something in relation to which something else becomes necessary? How could poor Socrates be necessarily mortal "in himself," and not in relation to his human condition, to his physiology, to the physical world, and so on? How could his mortality be an absolute necessity? Weren't you the one to say that existence in itself is contingent?

It is false that necessarily, Socrates is mortal. The proposition that Socrates is mortal is a contingent, not a necessary truth. As usual, you are confused about what I wrote. I wrote, "if all men are mortal, and if Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth". I did not write that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth. You even commit the modal fallacy when you attempt to understand things.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:51 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

I don't know what you are asking.

He's asking if you agree that Socrates is mortal but might not be.

"Confirming" means, "agree"? Of course the proposition that Socrates is mortal is a contingent, not a necessary, truth.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:57 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Let me say something a bit less vulgar about "it happens"...there is nothing more necessary then it. Is self NECESSARY!
( if not to be caused thats what FACTS are! )

I'm not convinced of that and I don't think there's any logic behind it. From what I can see, all physical states of affairs are contingent, that is, there's nothing necessary about the existence of the universe, the rising of the sun or the orbits of electrons. There could be absolutely nothing at all but by chance, there isn't. There is something. The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".

And a false truth is like an unmarried bachelor, so every truth must be true.

(Sigh) 1. It must be the case that: every truth is true (and not false) but, 2. It is not the case that: every truth must be true.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:59 am
@kennethamy,
Look at you just having a ball with that modal operator, as you like to call it. The tricky placing of the "must" will confuse most! Beware!
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 05:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
the proposition that Socrates is mortal is a contingent, not a necessary, truth.
In other words, there is some world where Socrates is immortal, so, in that world the conclusion "Socrates is mortal" is false, despite the fact that it follows from the preceding premises exactly as it does in a world in which it is true. In fact:
1) all living men are mortal
2) ughaibu is a living man
3) ughaibu is either mortal or immortal.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:30 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
the proposition that Socrates is mortal is a contingent, not a necessary, truth.
In other words, there is some world where Socrates is immortal, so, in that world the conclusion "Socrates is mortal" is false, despite the fact that it follows from the preceding premises exactly as it does in a world in which it is true. In fact:

It is true in every possible world that if all men are mortal, and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal. Which is to say, in every possible world, the conclusion follows from the premises. What does it matter that in some possible world it is false that Socrates in mortal? That is also true. But how is that inconsistent (or even relevant) to the necessary truth that the conclusion that Socrates is mortal follow from the premises? Answer, not at all.

You are still committing a version of the modal fallacy. You still think that because a conclusion follows necessarily from its premises, that the conclusion itself should be necessary. And that is a version of the modal fallacy.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:42 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

What follows is that U is mortal. And it is true that the proposition that U is mortal does not imply a contradiction. But, of course, that is not a conclusion of the argument. Not everything true of the conclusion of an argument is a conclusion of the argument. Why would you think it is?

Please see the previous post for a full diagnosis.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
kennethamy wrote:
What does it matter that in some possible world it is false that Socrates in mortal?
If the conclusion of the argument is that Socrates is mortal and possibly not mortal, then there is a possible world in which the argument is correct and Socrates isn't mortal.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:00 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
kennethamy wrote:
What does it matter that in some possible world it is false that Socrates in mortal?
If the conclusion of the argument is that Socrates is mortal and possibly not mortal, then there is a possible world in which the argument is correct and Socrates isn't mortal.

But, as I have already pointed out, that is not the conclusion of the argument, although it is true that the proposition that Socrates is mortal is contingent. But you are supposing what is not true, namely that the proposition that Socrates is mortal is a contingent proposition is the conclusion of the argument. What I wonder is where you ever got that idea. What is also true about the proposition that Socrates is mortal is that the proposition is about a philosopher named "Socrates", but that is also not the conclusion of the the argument either. So, what makes you think that whatever is true of the conclusion of an argument is the conclusion of that argument? Very peculiar.
ughaibu

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
that is not the conclusion of the argument
Okay, then you do not accept that the conclusion of the argument is that Socrates is mortal but might not be. So, what are you saying that is relevant to my post addressed to Night Ripper?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
that is not the conclusion of the argument
Okay, then you do not accept that the conclusion of the argument is that Socrates is mortal but might not be. So, what are you saying that is relevant to my post addressed to Night Ripper?

Of course I do not accept it. It is simply not true. I don't know what your post (which post?) said to Night Ripper. Why should I?
ughaibu

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Why should I?
Because you're sticking your oar in. It really isn't surprising that you haven't made any relevant point, is it?