The necessary truth of any truth

guigus

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:16 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

No, you're wrong. These are two different words with two different meanings, "must" and "is". The word "must" implies necessity but "is" implies actuality. To conflate the two means that you are ignoring contingency. Some truths are contingent and others are necessary. Please come up with some kind of argument that doesn't rest on this ambiguity.

You need to acknowledge the difference between "happens to be" and "must be". A is A because it happens to be A or it because it must be A. A is A doesn't imply either all by itself.

Unfortunately, it is not enough to say I am wrong, you must show why. So please point out in the following reasoning where precisely I got mistaken (if I am wrong, then at least one of these logical steps is - must be - wrong):

1. The statement "A is A" means the same as the statement "A must be A" since, in "A is A":

(a) The first "A" means anything.
(b) The second "A" means the same thing as the first "A," whatever it is.
(c) If something is identical to itself - A is A - then it cannot be different from itself, since nothing can be different from itself while being identical to itself.
(d) If something cannot be different from itself, then it must be identical to itself.
(e) Since "anything" - or "A" - already means anything else - other than "A" - anything must be identical to itself - A must be A (the statement "it must be that A is A" just converts "A must be A" into a passive sentence).
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:36 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
No, you're wrong. These are two different words with two different meanings, "must" and "is".

Well, great.

Night Ripper wrote:
The word "must" implies necessity but "is" implies actuality.

Impressive.

Night Ripper wrote:
To conflate the two means that you are ignoring contingency.

What about the principle of identity, where did it go? Let alone my reasoning?

Night Ripper wrote:
Some truths are contingent and others are necessary.

Is your ignoring my reasoning contingent or necessary?

Night Ripper wrote:
Please come up with some kind of argument that doesn't rest on this ambiguity.

What ambiguity?

Night Ripper wrote:
You need to acknowledge the difference between "happens to be" and "must be".

I never had any problem "acknowledging" that.

Night Ripper wrote:
A is A because it happens to be A or it because it must be A. A is A doesn't imply either all by itself.

Pardon me: does your "principle of identity" allow A to be different from A? I suspect it would be much more productive if you went back to my reasoning and showed the precise spot of my "mistake."
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:27 am
The priciple of identity: "A is A" holds even when "A happens to be A" instead of "A must be A". Do you recognize this?

Every truth either happens to be true or must be true but it's a mistake to claim that all truths are exclusively in a single category.

Here's the point your reasoning fails:

(c) If something is identical to itself - A is A - then it cannot be different from itself, since nothing can be different from itself while being identical to itself.

Because this is false. A is A means that it doesn't happen to be different from itself since if it were it would not be A. There's nothing necessary there.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:25 am
@Night Ripper,
Let me say something a bit less vulgar about "it happens"...there is nothing more necessary then it. Is self NECESSARY !
...if not to be caused, that ´s what FACTS are, also !

...either NECESSARY or SELF NECESSARY !!!

...as many before me pointed out, TRUTH is ABSOLUTE !
(presumptuous dumb idiot !)

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Let me say something a bit less vulgar about "it happens"...there is nothing more necessary then it. Is self NECESSARY!
( if not to be caused thats what FACTS are! )

I'm not convinced of that and I don't think there's any logic behind it. From what I can see, all physical states of affairs are contingent, that is, there's nothing necessary about the existence of the universe, the rising of the sun or the orbits of electrons. There could be absolutely nothing at all but by chance, there isn't. There is something. The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:41 am
@Night Ripper,
There´s NOTHING MORE ABSOLUTE then a non caused fact !!!
(you just can´t grasp it !)
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:42 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".
But what does this mean? As far as I can see, all it means is that a thing can only be said to be that which it is said to be, and that appears to be a trivial observation.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:45 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
The only things that are necessary are those things that are logically necessary such as "all bachelors being unmarried men".
But what does this mean? As far as I can see, all it means is that a thing can only be said to be that which it is said to be, and that appears to be a trivial observation.

It can be said that all sound deductive arguments are trivial.

1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.

Sure it's trivial but it's still useful since it makes explicit that which was once only implicit.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:48 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.

Sure it's trivial but it's still useful since it makes explicit that which was once only implicit.
Okay. Does this mean that Socrates "is" necessarily mortal?
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:58 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.

No.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:00 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.
No.
So the conclusion of the argument should be something like "Socrates is mortal but might not be"?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@ughaibu,
Might means if, but if does not apply does it?
What is True is True, period!
( if is an exercise of imagination refering to potential and not to facts ! )

THERE IS AN IMPORTANT DISTINCTION TO BE MADE THERE!
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.
No.
So the conclusion of the argument should be something like "Socrates is mortal but might not be"?
If Socrates isn't necessarily mortal, then there is a possible world in which Socrates is not mortal. Those who support the idea of necessity seem to be faced with a choice; either hold the position that Socrates is possibly immortal, in which case the cliched syllogism seems a little silly, or forget about claiming that some species of nebulous appeal to contingency accounts for questions of fallibilism, regularist laws, etc.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:44 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
1. All men are mortals.
2. Socrates is a man.
3. Socrates is mortal.
No.
If Socrates isn't necessarily mortal, then there is a possible world in which Socrates is not mortal. Those who support the idea of necessity seem to be faced with a choice; either hold the position that Socrates is possibly immortal, in which case the cliched syllogism seems a little silly, or forget about claiming that some species of nebulous appeal to contingency accounts for questions of fallibilism, regularist laws, etc.

Why is the syllogism, all men are mortal, Socrates is a man, so Socrates is mortal silly if it is possible that Socrates is immortal. The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth. You seem to be committing the modal fallacy too. It does not follow from the fact that the proposition that Socrates is moral necessarily follow from the premise, that the conclusion itself is a necessary truth. In other words:

Necessarily, if all men are mortal, and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal which is true, does not entail that necessarily Socrates is mortal. It could not, since the first (conditional) proposition is true, and the second proposition is false, and a true proposition cannot entail a false proposition.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth.
As a matter of form, are you confirming the conclusion that Socrates is mortal but might not be?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:25 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
The conclusion of the syllogism is not that Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth.
As a matter of form, are you confirming the conclusion that Socrates is mortal but might not be?

I don't know what you are asking. But as a matter of fact, since Socrates is dead, he was mortal, but since the proposition, "Socrates exists" is a contingent proposition as all propositions that imply existence are, and all true contingent propositions might not be true, therefore, the proposition that Socrates exists might not be true. But what is relevant is that although the proposition, if all men are mortal, and if Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal is a necessary truth, it does not follow from that, that the proposition Socrates is mortal is (itself) a necessary truth. To think it does follow is to commit the modal fallacy.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't know what you are asking. . . . . To think it does follow is to commit the modal fallacy.
1) to be mortal is to be subject to death
2) Socrates is dead
3) those who are dead aren't subject to death
4) therefore Socrates isn't mortal
5) all men are mortal
6) Socrates isn't mortal
7) therefore Socrates isn't a man.
Obviously the argument, as it stands, is nonsense. So, let's take a different case:
1) all living men are mortal
2) Kennethamy is a man
3) therefore Kennethamy is mortal.
There are, under classical logics, two possibilities, either Kennethamy is necessarily mortal or Kennethamy is not necessarily mortal. I assume that it's at least established that Kennethamy is possibly mortal.
1) if Kennethamy isn't necessarily mortal, then he is possibly immortal
2) take the case in which Kennethamy is immortal in all worlds other than the actual world
3) lacking a reason to limit possible worlds to a countable infinity, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:55 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
I don't know what you are asking. . . . . To think it does follow is to commit the modal fallacy.
2) Socrates is dead
5) all men are mortal
6) Socrates isn't mortal
Obviously the argument, as it stands, is nonsense. So, let's take a different case:
2) Kennethamy is a man
There are, under classical logics, two possibilities, either Kennethamy is necessarily mortal or Kennethamy is not necessarily mortal. I assume that it's at least established that Kennethamy is possibly mortal.
2) take the case in which Kennethamy is immortal in all worlds other than the actual world
3) lacking a reason to limit possible worlds to a countable infinity, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero.

Sorry. As the patron King said to Mozart in Amadeus about one of his compositions, "too many notes". Could you please get it down to a briefer argument I don't have to spend a couple of hours on? You have so much time in the East. We are busy Westerners. However, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero: from your mouth to God's ears. Only, I don't think He'll be swayed.

But I think that it should be easy for you to see that it does not follow from, necessarily, if p then q, that necessarily q. For example, it does not follow from: (1) necessarily, if Jack and Jill go up the hill, then Jack goes up the hill, that (2) necessarily, Jack goes up the hill, since (1) can be true, and (2) false.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
2) Socrates is dead
5) all men are mortal
6) Socrates isn't mortal
2) Kennethamy is a man

Sorry. As the patron King said to Mozart in Amadeus about one of his compositions, too many notes. Could you please get it down to an argument I don't have to spend a couple of hours on? You have so much time in the East. We are busy Westerners. However, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero: from your mouth to God's ears.
If you dont understand, then you can observe from the sidelines. You dont have to post on every thread, stick within your field of expertise.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:15 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
2) Socrates is dead
5) all men are mortal
6) Socrates isn't mortal
2) Kennethamy is a man

Sorry. As the patron King said to Mozart in Amadeus about one of his compositions, too many notes. Could you please get it down to an argument I don't have to spend a couple of hours on? You have so much time in the East. We are busy Westerners. However, the probability of Kennethamy being mortal is zero: from your mouth to God's ears.
If you dont understand, then you can observe from the sidelines. You dont have to post on every thread, stick within your field of expertise.

I did not say I did not understand. But what is relevant is this: it does not follow from: (1) Necessarily, if p then q, that (2) Necessarily q. For instance:
It does not follow from: (1) Necessarily, if Jack and Jill go up the hill, then Jack goes up the hill, that (2) necessarily, Jack goes up the hill. Now, what could be simpler than that?