What happen to Philosophyforum.com?

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:13 am
@Zetherin,
They hide for you if you vote them down (and others on the forum if it reaches a certain threshold), but they are behind a link and you can expand them and change vote etc.

Also, if you don't want topics/posts hidden based on other people's votes you can turn that off in your preferences.
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
Cool thanks for the heads up. Our tags were pretty much a mess for most of the threads, but for some of the subforums, some of us were very good about tagging properly. It was one of the chores I took upon myself to keep in order, but it was also one of those thankless chores that was lost when the size of the forum basically doubled, and the size of the staff was cut in half for whatever reasons.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
Posts hide for me if I vote them down? Can I change that?
0 Replies

platorepublic

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:48 am
Omg this is so weird, but the format is definitely better than the other one.

However, is this a forum anymore?! We'll see.
G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:35 am
Are there any plans to have an option to change the colour scheme of the forum?
And, I really missed the fact that you could read previous replies while you were typing out your own reply.
Other than that, it seems okay.
dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:40 am
@G-Thomson,
try the quote button G-.

It only allows you to see one post when you are replying. better than nothing I guess
G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:06 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

try the quote button G-.

It only allows you to see one post when you are replying. better than nothing I guess

Righto. Thanks.
Is it correct that if I want to post a comment that is not directed at any specific member, I can just click 'Reply to All'?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
Quote:
Is it correct that if I want to post a comment that is not directed at any specific member, I can just click 'Reply to All'?

correct. or copy the section of the post you want to refer to and paste that inot the reply box
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:51 am
@TuringEquivalent,
we've been aggregated, and I suggest we have not many options other than making the best of it.

It was a fool's paradise, really. Nobody should expect that much fun for nothing.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:54 am
@jeeprs,
The image I have is of a shipwreck, we're all bobbing around here in life-rings, yelling to each other 'you seen Bob?' 'yeah, he's OK, what happened to Mel?' 'Haven't seen her. But I got her vest, it just floated by here....'

Oh well. At least the water is warm.
Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:55 am
Ugh
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:59 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

The image I have is of a shipwreck, we're all bobbing around here in life-rings, yelling to each other 'you seen Bob?' 'yeah, he's OK, what happened to Mel?' 'Haven't seen her. But I got her vest, it just floated by here....'

Oh well. At least the water is warm.

Yeah good thing is, no one was eaten by sharks but I know a few have drowned so far.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:02 am
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/jumping-great-white-shark.jpg

sink or swim?
0 Replies

Minimal

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:03 am
I wish there was some notification of some sort -- glancing through my inbox and I see no "Transition" email.

I just logged in and got the shock of this newfangled layout and the alternative navigation. I also wondering why I have a different display picture that I never uploaded on Philosophyforum.com on this site? I am quite perplexed.

Regards,

Minimal.
engineer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:11 am
@Minimal,
Apparently your forum got hacked and Robert and team had to do an emergency transfer. There are some posts floating around with more detail. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:29 am
Welcome, Phils.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:31 am
Sad What is this?! Sad

No chat feature? Sad
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:34 am
@Dosed,
Dosed wrote:

Sad What is this?! Sad

No chat feature? Sad

no dosed we got robbed.
Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:42 am
Well, there are far too many good people here to bail immediately. So I'm gonna give it a shot and see if I can get used to this set up; try and adjust over time.

Without regard to this site and only in regards to the Philosophy Forum alone, we've lost something good. There's real value to the philosophical community that retains *it* as its theme, respects and knows the structure that constitutes an invaluable way to learn, relate and exchange - that has real people who (themselves) are fans of philosophy keeping the discussions civil and in relative order. Again, many thanks to Justin and the fantastic moderators for all their hard work. As someone already said, good things don't always last.

So we'll see what happens here. One quick question though: Is there a way to erase or delete existing messages?

Thanks
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:44 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
One quick question though: Is there a way to erase or delete existing messages?

you can edit and delete a message for a short period of time