What happen to Philosophyforum.com?

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:00 am
What ` s the deal? I like the old forum. It was nice.

What do you think of this forum? It` s weird. Could i say any bad words here?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 6,921 • Replies: 86

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:02 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Welcome. I hope we get less weird as you get familiar.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:02 am
It's weird 'cuz it's new; hopefully, as Robert said, a2k'll be able to port stuff from the old philforum; maybe even colour scheme, eh *hint**hint*
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:03 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Philosophyforum.com merged with able2know. I know it's a big context change, with some negatives for sure but there are also some big positives.

I hope you guys give us a chance, and keep in mind that this is software very much in progress and we intend to make a lot of improvements.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:09 am
It seems pretty fast at least. The other privately owned sort of forums I visit have fairly regular slowdowns or crashes.
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:10 am
What did and did not get transferred? Are all our previous posts intact?
William
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:12 am
Ha, as far as I am concerned, who is "william phil"? Has my user name been changed to this?
William
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:13 am
@William,
Not all forums were transfered, any admin/staff/hidden forums are not yet transferred. No groups have yet been transfered (group owners can contact me to be part of an early test of groups on a2k). Neither have blogs (we'll build this too) or albums (again, we'll build and import).

We have also not imported profile data, friends, and private messages.

But we won't lose the data and we'll work towards restoring it all here as we can.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:15 am
@William,
" phil" was appended to duplicate usernames, but we'll fix any that request it.

You are in luck, the original william is an account that was never used (signup with no use), so if you'd like we'll get you that username, just let us know at the helpdesk (the contact us link in footer).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:16 am
@Jebediah,
We think it's still slow (we are web performance geeks and need greased lightning) and want it faster yet!
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:25 am
@TuringEquivalent,
We got merged with some supposed greater forum, with 100k+ chatters, but Imo it's very misleading, since most are just 1 time chatters who comes to seek advice and never get to chat again.

Further we were supposed to be the philosophy section, which got obliterated to only 2'ish sections, where we before had a myriad of different sections.

Imo this wasn't a smart move.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:27 am
@HexHammer,
Pretty much all the previous public forums are here as well, the presentation needs some big improvements on the tags/forums but the same ones were brought along here.

Give the folks here a chance, there are some really bright folk here who are worth getting to know.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, I would like to keep my user name and avatar. I have gone to the help desk and submitted that. I am now awaiting a reply. Let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
Thanks
William
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:45 am
@William,
Looks like it worked.

Welcome to A2K

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:47 am
@William,
William wrote:

Robert, I would like to keep my user name and avatar. I have gone to the help desk and submitted that. I am now awaiting a reply. Let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
Thanks
William

I find that you have to turn the ability to quote on in user preferences, and upload the avatar to gravatars (perhaps there's an easier way).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:51 am
Welcome philosophers to a2k. I at least am very happy to have you here. Not having known about the philosophy forum before, I am looking forward to explore, learn, and contribute.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:02 am
All I can say is... very interesting.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:04 am
With the tagging issue, on the Philosophy Forum, most people did not tag their posts, but it seems the ones that were tagged imported those as well.

As one of my first duties around here, I will be tagging threads in my free time, which will hopefully help organize our stuff a bunch in our new home.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:05 am
@Theaetetus,
Actually, the import used the forums from philforum, we'll also be importing the tags as well soon as there was good data there that I'd like to bring over.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:08 am
I think there may be a problem with the thumbs up and down feature. I just hid everyone's post by pressing thumbs down once. This doesn't seem right. The posts hide even if there is only one thumbs down?