What happen to Philosophyforum.com?

JPB

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 01:09 pm
@manored,

Click on "My Posts" at the top and you'll see topics that contain your posts. If your name isn't the one after Last Post by then someone has posted after you.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 01:17 pm
@manored,
Quote:
But, well, I suppose it cant be helped, so I will just have to adapt to it. The function that I havent re-found and that I miss the most is the ability to track threads that you have posted on, but have new posts you havent read. How do you do that there?

Look two posts up from the one you posted for links to a tutorial that answer those specific questions.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 03:05 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
You must learn to be philosophical about things. Life is not full of roses you know.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
OK......... cyclo, butterfly, and robert

I just gave a harder look at the screen......... and tapped my head to figure it out, after my log in id and passward was again rejected.

I typed the email add, and the pw......... and lo!......... it let me through.

I guess my Log In id together with pw is not working, only the e-mail id did.

With the option given, you have let me in.......... i am grateful.

Now......... the Thanks button was a better system, but any way..................
But, can you find a way out to ...........1) to track only the posts and topics to which the poster has contributed.
2) In Philosophy forum/division - all the sub forum/divisions....... like we had Philosophy of Mind, Science, Religion, language Politics, neatly arranged in the index/or main pages.......... this should be exclusively for philosophy topics and not general discussion as is seen in your main page.
Thanks,,,,,,.................. please consider.
G-Thomson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:06 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
You probably couldn't get in because 'Jackofalltrades' is already a username here.
So they put 'phil' after the duplicate usernames to distinguish them.
manored

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Click on "My Posts" at the top and you'll see topics that contain your posts. If your name isn't the one after Last Post by then someone has posted after you.
Im not sure if its the same thing yet, but it does seem like it also records whenever there are any new posts after the last time you looked or not. I tend to overlook small color changes... hope it does =)

Butrflynet wrote:

Look two posts up from the one you posted for links to a tutorial that answer those specific questions.
I dont wanna read several pages of tutorials only to figure out whenever the forum has a X feature or not. In my personal view of forums, they shouldnt be complicated to the point of needing several pages of tutorials =)

talk72000 wrote:

You must learn to be philosophical about things. Life is not full of roses you know.
What is "to be philosophical"?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@G-Thomson,
Thanks. I would like to know who that other wise guy is. anyway to know or message him? i want to settle some copyright issues?.............lol
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@manored,
I'm sorry you don't wish to read several pages of tutorials. (I seriously doubt you even bothered looking at the tutorial.)

By posting direct links to pertinent sections of the tutorial, I've made it as simple as possible for you given the lateness of the hour and personal time I had to devote to it.

We had an even shorter notification of your arrival than you did. After noting all the complaints about the unfamiliarity of the forum mechanics and the numerous and often repeated efforts of fellow volunteer A2K members to help you folks adjust to the newness of the forum here, I stayed up all night creating those screen shot examples, cropping, resizing and typing annotations on them before uploading to the internet. As I started organizing and pasting in a logical sequence the urls into separate posts that could then be linked to, I soon got locked out of the thread by the site's anti-flooding mechanism and had to create a second screen name to finish the job rather than having to wait the 30 minute time out period to be allowed to post again. Since it was already nearing 4 am, this meant I had to condense some of the subjects into one post rather than separating them and getting locked out again.

If you have a better method of doing it, I'm sure Robert would enjoy your volunteering your time to help, as I did.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:29 pm
I will throw down my pitchfork and torch, I have lost much ..but gained more.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:50 pm
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson wrote:
You probably couldn't get in because 'Jackofalltrades' is already a username here.
So they put 'phil' after the duplicate usernames to distinguish them.

Yes, but we'll change it upon request so please get the word out (I've already gotten a half-dozen or so folks of the 40 or so who that happened to sorted out).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:06 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

I will throw down my pitchfork and torch, I have lost much ..but gained more.

That sounds hopeful!!! What about your hammer, or is that a work tool rather than a weapon?

Wink
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
Don't take it personally, B'net. I think it's just normative angst.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 01:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I'm sorry you don't wish to read several pages of tutorials. (I seriously doubt you even bothered looking at the tutorial.)
I did look, person who seems to be assuming a large number of things about me based on little information.

Butrflynet wrote:

By posting direct links to pertinent sections of the tutorial, I've made it as simple as possible for you given the lateness of the hour and personal time I had to devote to it.

We had an even shorter notification of your arrival than you did. After noting all the complaints about the unfamiliarity of the forum mechanics and the numerous and often repeated efforts of fellow volunteer A2K members to help you folks adjust to the newness of the forum here, I stayed up all night creating those screen shot examples, cropping, resizing and typing annotations on them before uploading to the internet. As I started organizing and pasting in a logical sequence the urls into separate posts that could then be linked to, I soon got locked out of the thread by the site's anti-flooding mechanism and had to create a second screen name to finish the job rather than having to wait the 30 minute time out period to be allowed to post again. Since it was already nearing 4 am, this meant I had to condense some of the subjects into one post rather than separating them and getting locked out again.

If you have a better method of doing it, I'm sure Robert would enjoy your volunteering your time to help, as I did.
An explanatin of how much time and effort it took you to do the tutorial isnt exactly a reply to my ideal of that forums shouldnt need lenghty tutorials (or perhaps any at all), although I thank you for your effort and concern.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
@manored,
I'm glad you've been finding your way around here, manored.

I've been enjoying reading your posts around the boards.
manored

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm glad you've been finding your way around here, manored.

I've been enjoying reading your posts around the boards.
Enjoying? interesting... why? =)

Always good to know.

And I am glad for your gladness.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:23 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
That sounds hopeful!!! What about your hammer, or is that a work tool rather than a weapon?
Mr Hop Li Di Hop ..perverted approaches must stop!

It's diverted from the Malleus Maleficarum = Hammer of the Witches. It was a manual for the inquisition which provided insight of how to identify witchcraft and how to deal with it.

Many misunderstand the wording, as they mistakenly think it's a weapon of evil, as it is really a weapon to fight evil. Like the Edward I english king "Long Shanks" was the Hammer of the Scots.

0 Replies

Tsar

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
I'm deeply disappointed by this sudden move. The old forum was the best I'd ever seen. The latest vBulletin software was just the right choice. It was very well structured and allowed for an optimal customization. Where are all those extras in form of educational videos and addition materials? How come that it's all gone now? I just try to imagine how much efforts were made to build up and maintain such a great place on the net with all its advantages...and what for?... just to give it all up within moments! What a waste of time and resources!

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:13 am
@Tsar,
Quote:
I just try to imagine how much efforts were made to build up and maintain such a great place on the net with all its advantages...and what for?... just to give it all up within moments! What a waste of time and resources!
that is a problem when one person owns something that others put effort into building. Someone took $5.000 to sell the place to someone who had every intent to kill it. Did that person have a duty to protect Philforum? Was that his right to take the money so it is tough luck for everyone who got hurt, to all of the stakeholders who got wiped out?? IDK, but is it a subject worthy of debate.
Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I just try to imagine how much efforts were made to build up and maintain such a great place on the net with all its advantages...and what for?... just to give it all up within moments! What a waste of time and resources!
that is a problem when one person owns something that others put effort into building. Someone took $5.000 to sell the place to someone who had every intent to kill it. Did that person have a duty to protect Philforum? Was that his right to take the money so it is tough luck for everyone who got hurt, to all of the stakeholders who got wiped out?? IDK, but is it a subject worthy of debate.

i agree, a type of cyber ethics.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
i agree, a type of cyber ethics
What are the ethics? That is the Question. Lets be clear though that a2k members are innocent if wrong was done, like in most major things that happen with a2k (the meeting place as opposed to the community) we were never given a choice, and were not informed until even after Philforum members were about the change.
0 Replies